Author Topic: Week at the creek,,,finally  (Read 4093 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Week at the creek,,,finally
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »
After bringing the wife home from the hospital, she told me to repack my gear and get lost for a week so I left early last monday and headed north on 395.  Stopped at the Shell station in Bishop and got gas,,, 4.19.9. while gassing up they were changing signs to 425.9,, glad I didn't show up 5 minutes later... The price was 489.9 yesterday coming home.. Almost all the stations in the Sierras were about 5.00 or more..gas in Lee Vining was over 6 bucks a gallon..

Got to French Camp about 1030, upper loop was closed so I couldn't get my favorite site but got my 2nd best...all week there was only about 10-12 other campers. All the other campgrounds were open but host have already left.. All upper campgrounds except East Fork will close this week.  Set up camp, collected pine cones and fished the creek for a few hours catching 6 on salmon eggs.  Ate early dinner and was sawing logs by 1800,, I was tired...

Tuesday, hit the Upper Owens, had the river all to myself for about 4 hours, using various lures caught 4, including a 17 inch brown. all were released...Saw no fish in the river at all.. Fishing was very slow for this time of year..Lake Crowley is according to locals the lowest in history, there are 3 islands showing that have never been seen before.. The water level for shore fishing is 400-500 feet from where is was earlier, making shore fishing impossible without walking thru mud to get to the waters edge. One long time local had concerns about the trout spawning from Crowley due to the low water levels in the lake.. If true that will seriously suck.

Wed. hit the river for 3 hours, caught 2 on Rooster Tails and decided to drive to Virgina Lakes, fished there for 3 hours and caught nothing,, no one else was having any luck either.. Came back to camp and fished the creek for a hour or so and caught 4 in the upper loop area..

After a steak dinner I was sitting by my fire at 1730 when 3 guys approached from my right and said  " hey buddy theres 2 bears right behind you" I said " what did you say" and the one guy repeated " theres 2 bears right behind you" I turned around and was greeted by Mrs Yogi bear and her cub right next to my tent 20 feet behind me. I quietly said  " OH ..... and watched as they walked behind my truck and went to site 74 where the cub climbed on the picnic table, sniffed around and jumped down. They then walked up the loop and towards the creek.. One hour later while sitting in my truck listening to the debates the cub came back, walked right in front of my truck and headed over to the creek. I watched as he pushed pine cones with his nose and then chased after them. Don't know where momma bear was so I kept a good distance watching the cub by the creek..This was only the 3rd time in all my years I saw bears in French Camp.

Thursday and Friday fished the Owens for about 3 hours each day but only caught 6, went shooting and fired off a few hundred rounds..I never saw more than 4 people on the river all week. On Friday afternoon Iwas fishing the creek accross from site 66 at the spill way when I threw in a salmon egg, a Marmot jumped in the water and went after my hook but I was able to hank my line out of the water before he grabbed my hook.. The little critter came to my side of the creek and climbed on a rock right below me and there he stayed for about 30 minutes. He didn't seem to care that I was only about 6 feet above him..They are cute little animals.

Saturday I drove to Bishop to fish the lower Owens but is was running very high and fast,, I managed 2 small ones at Laws bridge.. I decided to fish the canals off of Dixon Lane for the first time and caught 25-30 in 2 hours but they were all about 6 inches long... There were tons of huge carp swimming in the canal.  Left Bishop and went to the creek below East Fork in that area where the water runs slow below the parking area.. There was a pool with about 20 large trout swimming. Using salmon eggs I was able to catch 6 all were 16-17 inches. I kept 5 of them to bring home.

The weather all week was perfect, mid 70's during the day, low 40's at night.. Had zero wind all week. The fall colors of the Aspens were beautiful in the canyon...

Total miles driven    902.

Shell gas:                                165.00
Gus's Jerky                               20.00
Camp fees                                60.00
Toms Place                               40.00
Magohony smoked meats       300.00  I bought 20 pounds of their bacon
Schatts Bakery                          40.00
Total spent                              625.00

A week at ther creek               PRICELESS

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Week at the creek,,,finally
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »
 :clap: Very good that mama's feeling better and so are you after a week at the creek.  20lbs of BACON!? If you have a diesel you could process the bacon fat into bio diesel and re-coop some from eating and end products. Thanks for the report.  I'll be back Nov 1st for 4 days. Can't stop thinking about it. Great report; thanks.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »
what a fabulous report! 

and I just love your wife...   'get out of here'....   now she is priceless:)

marmots and bears, 'oh my';   :)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »
Great report Roy!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
Great report! Very cool about the creatures! Carol is right your wife is PRICELESS! Glad everything is good for the two of you. :clap:

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »
R96

nice report, glad you made it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
Glad your wifes doing fine and you finally got to go on your trip. sounds like it was a good one, but those bears where alittle to close for comfort.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Sierraslam

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:00:01 AM »
Good to hear your wife is do better. She must be a good woman to send you off to the mountains. My wife knows How much I need these trips as well. Sounds like a great trip! Would love to see a picture of that 17 inch Brownie. It's that Brown Trout time of year! 300.00 at Mohagany Smoked Meats! Nice! I love the Elk Jerkey. The bacon must be top notch, I'll have to try it. Good fishin!

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 01:14:41 PM »
I could do $300.00 of their bacon it's the best  :clap:   What a GREAT report ... made me smile  :doglick:  We saw bears this year to up at Eastfork and it was at 9:00 in the morning . So glad you had a good trip!  Come on 2013 I am ready to camp  :camping:
The Creek is Waiting...

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:31 PM »
Sounds like a great trip.  What do you use for targets when shooting up there?  I'm guessing you're not at a range. 

I'd love to take some firearms up there, just don't want to be a litterbug.  I like to pick up all my shell casings as well.

John

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
I shoot off the Owens River road. I have my own metal pop up targets and pick up all my brass as I reload all my own ammo

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »
I shoot off the Owens River road. I have my own metal pop up targets and pick up all my brass as I reload all my own ammo

I reload as well, with ammo prices skyhigh, it's stlll the economical way to go.  I recall you saying Owens River Road on an earlier post.  Sounds like a lot of fun, cast and blast.

John

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »
Glad to see you were able to make it uo!  Nice to see that a cub made it thru the difficult summer as many were predicted not to survive due to the dry winter we had. 
The creek is waiting...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
Glad you got up there finally, R96.  Fun times with bears and marmots.

Loved the summary   "PRICELESS"
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.