Author Topic: Quick Horseshoe Meadow report  (Read 4757 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Quick Horseshoe Meadow report
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »
After eating a delicous crepe at the home of ABSN,  I headed up with Salim for one of our quick day trips to the Sierras.  This time it was to see if any goldens would be on the feed at Horseshoe Meadows.  I was a bit nervous about water levels up there but my sources had told me it was still worth the trip.  Left the SF Valley about 9am,  got to Lone Pine about noon,   saw tons of people everywhere,  don't know if it was movies day or a parade or what.  It was about 80 degress,  61 when we got up to the Meadows,  and 52 when we left late in the afternoon.  The water was painfully low,   but there was still water,  and we did get some goldens, nothing huge,  but they did come out to play!  Elk Hair Caddis and Black gnats were the ticket.  I think Salim said he threw a Sierra Bright dot.  Lot's o' fun,  good way to end the season.  Nothing like flyfishing in a small Sierra meadow creek for Goldens with good company and blazing fall colors all around!
The Meadow and the creek:

A couple of quick shots of Sierra Gold before releasing them...

Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Horseshoe Meadow report
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
As always those little jewels are beautiful and it's hard to beat the scenery. I made a one day turn around to Bishop this weekend (didn't get to fish) and because of the holiday I think that all of the towns were working on a last hoora for the season. Lone Pine had there Film Festival and a Art Festival in the park, Bishop was hosting a Rod Run at the fairgrounds, and I don't know what was going on in Independence but I saw one of the side streets shut down with a lot of activity going on.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »
Good to see how nice the meadow looks this time of year.  Hate to see fish laying in the grass/dirt however just for a photo.

John

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »
I know what you mean John,  just remember,   I did include something about "quick shots"  of Sierra Gold.  I could have held the fish (not a good idea because we do have germs even if our hands are wet)  or laid him on a wet rock (what if it hit it's head on a rock),  instead I selected some grass (not dirt)...Fish was there for a couple of seconds...yes,  I know about slime layers and all that other stuff,  all were released unharmed after barely being out of the water for ten seconds (fish was kept in the water till camera was ready.  Actually,  this fish prolly did better than a couple that fell off in the dirt at the water's edge...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:25:18 PM by Topwater Terry »

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 02:25:09 PM »
I hear you, those little goldies have a propensity to wiggle off the barbless hooks and end up in the grass on that little creek anyway.  They are a wild and wiggly little trout.

John
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:46:25 PM by John Harper »

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »
Yeah,  they do.  They are delicate but also hardy,  difficult to believe they can survive in that environment with low flows and heavy winters,  but somehow they do!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »
what fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »

We fished the creek below the circle all the way west to where the creek splits in half before the climb
(it says 10,000 ft at the split) to the pond below the arrow.

Here is what we found out:
After the split. the creek is constantly dropping a foot or so and the pools do not hold fish. 
Terry and I counted maybe three during the climb.

The pond itself is NOT a pond, it is a march that feeds the creek and does not hold fish.
I think this is one of the water sources for the creek and when we got there we were walking on wet grass everywhere. 
So don't make the 1.3+ miles hike.

Overall, it was a great day and the fishing was great.
Most of the hook ups were made blind, meaning I snuck up on them from the blind side and dropped the fly in the creek. 
A few were from a long cast, but not many.

I had my new 2wt La Crosse rod and it performed very well.  I was able to cast in a slight breeze and a 2wt line about 25-30 feet. 
The challenge was landing the fly in a stream that was 2ft wide at best.
The 4-6 goldens on that rod felt like a 1/2 lbs fish on a 4wt rod.

With the coming weather, we felt this may be the last trip of the year for that area.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:21:15 PM by ab-sn »

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »
Terry thanks for the report and pics. Looks like a fun trip. :clap: :clap: :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 05:56:53 PM »
I canít think of a better way to end the season guys!  I was surprised to see the meadow still green.  More runoff than I expected from the high elevation mountains.  Really beautiful fish!  Thanks for the  report and pictures.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »
Looks like a fun and cool trip.

Thanks for sharing.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Sierraslam

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »
Very nice! Those Golden's look as pure as they get. Perfect trout!