Author Topic: ADVICE NEEDED  (Read 3378 times)

sierracamper

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
ADVICE NEEDED
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »
Ok so just seen the bad news on my last post regarding East Fork being closed after the 15th. Totally bummed. As I stated I already have a trailer reserved to be delivered to a campground. So where do you recommend in the same area or mammoth area? We wana be up in the trees, so not looking for anything down in the flats. Something comparable to east fork would be great. Another sad note the PIE IN THE SKY will be closed on the 15th as well. I called she said the road should still be open and Rock Creek lake also should still be open. Anyone have any insight on that topic? Oh also what ever campsite recommendations you give please also give fishing spots in the area as well. Thank you. I appreciate your input. :camping: :bowdown: :campfire2: :fishing3:

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: ADVICE NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »
Check out 4 Jeffreys in Bishop Canyon.   A nice creek there you can fish.  Make sure you get a spot next to the trees, though.  Half the campground is horribly exposed.

Not sure if it's still open, though.  I never took a trip this late in the season.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:37:25 PM »
perhaps whoever is delivering the trailer would have a suggestion?
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

sierracamper

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
How about Twin Lakes up in the mammoth area? Any comments?

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:26:48 PM »
Have them put it at French Camp at the bottom of the canyon.  It is still on Rock Creek,  so it is better than the rest of those other places combined.  Perfect spot,  halfway between Bishop and Mammoth,  good access to 395 if you wanna explore other areas.  Low enough at 7000 feet that if the weather moves in you prolly won't have it nearly as bad as you would at higher elevation.  Get er done... :camping:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:38:20 PM »
I just got back from French Camp, even though the upper loops will be closed, there will be plenty of sites for a trailer. There was only a handful of campers the entire week I was there..

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:32:32 AM »
I agree with Topwater on this. Check out French Camp. I was just there in July and had a great spot that was completely shaded.
I have been going to the Sierras for 27 years now and have yet to find another spot like the RC area. Plus, staying a little lower this late in the season might not be a bad idea as it is starting to get a little chilly there at night. :freezing:
"Don't get no better than this!"

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
I also agree with Terry  :rotflmao:   We stayed at French Camp over Memorial and we loved it. It was our first time there we usually stay at Eastfork on the creek  :rotflmao:  you know where those sites are right Terry  :lol2: anyway ...    although French camp is a lot different than Eastfork it is a really nice campground and you can walk to the Bar  :clap:  If you are not into French Camp I would say Convict It is GREAT this time of year ,really quiet ,the leaves are all changing the fishing is great . I am making myself sad just writing this , I can't believe I have to wait till next May for my next camping trip ... is it to soon to start counting down  :camping:
The Creek is Waiting...

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
yeah Corey and I always agree :rotflmao: :lol2: :clap: :rotflmao:
Give French Camp a try.  Pretty warm in the summer,  really nice in the spring and fall...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...