Author Topic: Final trip for 2012  (Read 3342 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Final trip for 2012
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
Spent 6 days in Rock Creek tent camping and must say one of the slowest fall fishing trips I have ever had....I would like to thank the DWP for ruining the fall fishing on the Upper Owens River by drastically raising the flow rates. The river was not clear as it usually is during this time of the year, and the weeds were a pain in the butt flowing down the river...I spent about 20 hours fishing the river and caught all of 4 fish, a whopping 4-5 inches long...I never saw one fish chase my lures nor did I see any spawning fish....I never saw more than 4 other people and they all had been skunked... 

Fished Rock Creek Lake twice for about 6 hours total and never had a bite,, no one else was catching anything either.....

Friday, I drove to Bishop to fish the Owens but the river was very muddy in color and again got skunked.....But the highlight of my trip came back in the creek in French Camp...About 1300 I went to the spillway section of the creek and as I walked up I saw a very big fish dart from the bank to the white water under the spillway...I said to myself,,, I am going to catch that SOB if it takes me all day. Over the next 3 hours I used everything I had except my guns, and finally with a night crawler on a hook, I dropped my line into the rushing water and seconds later I had him...He jumped out of the water and I said  "holy poop that is one big expletive fish"  I then had to climb down the rocks, as my net was down on the rocks, holding my pole high with my left hand,, I grabbed my net and after about a 2 minute fight I was able to land what must have been a holdover Alpers that was planted last Sept... I weighed the fish on my digital scale and it came back at 4 pounds 9 ounces and was 22 inches long....I'm sure they heard me at Toms place when I yelled,,  I finally caught you after 3 hours......Man versus fish and I won.

I was able to catch 6 fish in the creek, most were 13-15 inches,,good size fish....I saw my marmot friend 4 times while fishing the creek in French Camp...The weather was perfect all week, low to mid 70's. and the nighttime temps were in the upper 30's.  I shot on 4 days and fired well over a thousand rounds.

Overall a very poor fall fishing trip, which was shared by everyone I talked to, but the big fish which is going to be dinner tonight made up for the low numbers of fish....

I end this season with a total of 10 trips, I gave the local communities a few thousand dollars to help their economy....

Lake Crowley according to a local resident I talked to said,,,, "Its a big mudhole."..  I have never seen the lake as low as it is now.

Hopefully next season will be better, as this season was very slow fishing overall.....

I shall return to enjoy my retirement years...

Retired 96 AKA R-395
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:24:40 AM by retired96 »

Sierraslam

Re: Final trip for 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »
wow! A 4+ pound trout from a creek is a huge fish! That must have been a fun fight! Nice job. Not real good news on the fishing report though. I'm going up 11-1-12 for my last run and would like to find some trout. We shall see. Any time you get 10 trips in one season, that's a great Summer. Best to your wife, good fishin!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »
I bet all of us at home would be overjoyed to be on a 'poor' fishing trip!

that is..er was.. one big fish!!!!   good job!

ah, the marmot.. he likes you:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »
Sounds like you had a mediocre great time. You know what they say about the worst day fishing vs the best day working.

The shooting makes up for a little, also.

We were at French Camp from Sun 14 Oct thru Wed 17 Oct. We fished RCL and Saddlebag. RCL was very slow. I caught one 2.5 pounder at RCL on Sunday evening. I put an inflated crawler on and stuck the pole on a rock and was enjoying being up in the Sierras, talking to one of my buddies. I looked back to see that the pole was gone, and ripples were expanding away from where it was. I ran over and reached for it, and it jumped about a foot farther out. I reached again and it jumped again. At this point, it was about three feet from waters edge, and about 14 inches deep. I jumped in with both feet and caught it just as it was going away for good. Five more seconds and I would have been using my back-up pole.

Saddlebag was slow as well. We hiked around to the inlet end, and fished most of the day. We started out very selective, and released a few really nice fish. As the day wore on, we realized that the fish were getting smaller. Kept four nice plants, but the natives that we released earlier were larger.  Our weather was beautiful.

Hope to have more trips next year, as I have joined R96 in the ranks of the formerly employed.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:43:11 AM »
R96

Quality over quanity, nothing wrong with that and you got to spend another week in Gods country!

gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
I could not fish at all and have a GREAT time, wait a minute that's what I do  :rotflmao: Thanks to the 2 :doglick:  :dogrun: its just to hard to fish and watch them. I am NOT complaining I am perfectly happy to hike in the mornings and then spend the afternoon sitting by the creek with my dogs reading :clap: ,drinking or watching my husband fish and drinking  :clap:
WISH I WERE  :camping: :hiking2: :pie2: :campfire2: :dogrun: :trailer: :marshmallow:  :fire: :bbq:
The Creek is Waiting...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
R96, at least you were disappointed (for the most part) in God's Country.  Congrats on your 10 trips and the 4+ pounder.   :bowdown:

That had to have your heart thumping, maybe so loud they heard that at Tom's Place, too.

You and OldSarge enjoy retirement for the rest of us working lackeys.  Someday...

Best to the wife!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.