Author Topic: Overdue Hiker  (Read 9132 times)

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Overdue Hiker
« on: October 26, 2012, 06:19:02 AM »
Hey folks.  This is from High Sierra Topix.  This guy frequents that forum.
http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/upload/FLYER-LAWRENCE-CONN-OVERDUE-HIKER-Oct-24-2012.pdf
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Overdue Hiker
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:02:27 AM »
so scary...   I know 'they' have pulled several hikers out of the sierras near here this week that got caught up in that storm...  I hope they can do the same for this guy.    hopefully he hunkered down somewhere.

'they' have also recovered a body from one boy who was on a hunting trip with his dad who didnt make it.. so sad :(
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »
1 down, 2 to go....  per the sacramento bee...

Crews looking for 2 missing hikers in Sierra

SAN FRANCISCO -- Search teams have found one missing hiker, but crews are still looking for two other hikers who have disappeared in separate wilderness areas in Northern California.

In the first of what was three searches, ground teams and helicopter crews are looking for Larry Conn, who left on a three-day backpacking trip in Inyo National Forest on Oct. 19 and never emerged from the wilderness.

A spokesman for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks says the 53-year-old Conn started hiking in the Inyo National Forest, with plans to plans to finish his trip last Monday.

In a separate search in the Sierra, Fresno County search teams are looking for 52-year-old Matthew Hansen, a Visalia man who left Tuesday on a backpacking trip near Shaver Lake, but never returned.

In the third search, crews found 29-year-old Nathan Sperring safe in a tent in the Desolation Wilderness area.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »
Thanks for keeping up on that for us, LHR.  Hope they are found all right.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
tennis shoes?  he didnt check the weather report???

October 27, 2012 - The 29 year old man (Nathan Sperring) who had been overdue since Tuesday from his hiking/camping trip into the Desolation Wilderness, was found Thursday afternoon by Search and Rescue (SAR) Personnel, at his campsite near Dick's Lake in the Desolation Wilderness.

Nathan had done a lot of things right but overlooked the possibility of rapidly changing mountain weather. Nathan told people where he was going, including the route he would be taking and when he would be back . He was well prepared for the weather conditions when he left on his camping trip on Friday but he did not check the weather forecast.

Nathan had not dressed for windy, snowing conditions. He had brought a light coat and wore tennis shoes Nathan was caught off guard when he woke up Sunday morning to find 6 inches of snow on the ground. The weather had cleared some, so Nathan packed up his camp and began to walk out. His tennis shoes and light coat proved to be insufficient for the conditions. The fresh blanket of snow had changed the look of the terrain and he could not find the trail. He was not sure he could find his way out so he made a wise decision to return to his protected campsite and again set up camp. As the weather became more severe Nathan followed his tracks in the snow back to his protected campsite and set up camp again, to wait out the foul weather and the arrival of help, protected from the elements. This may very well have saved Nathans life. On Thursday, with a break in the weather, multiple Search and Rescue Teams were flown into the Desolation Wilderness and dropped off in strategic locations consistent with Nathan's advised hiking route. Just after a Helicopter dropped off one of the teams and left the area, SAR personnel heard a whistle off in the distance. Nathan had seen the Helicopter and was blowing his rescue whistle. He was located by the SAR Team and was transported to safety in good condition.

Nathan had spent 6 nights and 7 days in the wilderness. He spent 2 days and 2 nights longer than he had planned, in freezing, foul weather. The last three days of his trip he spent in the protection of his small tent, waiting out the storm.

Thanks to the many volunteers that responded to this event and Nathan's patience and wise decision to take refuge from the storm, this story has a happy ending.   (yubanet)

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
I hope everything works out, but when your in the high country you better be prepared. I don't care what time of year it is.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
As some of you know I am a member and frequent the HST site. Larry is one of the regulars and naturally there is a lengthy thread going on over there. Many of us are very concerned at this point. For some of the latest updates from the NFS and SAR you can follow the HST thread here.
http://highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8537&start=132

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 06:42:04 AM »
Thanks for the link, Gary.  Hope to be reading a lot more on there soon.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 07:44:43 AM »
Thanks Gary for the link.  It is troublesome that hes late six days now, especially with his experience with backpacking.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »
they have found the other missing hiker...  now there is only one left out there.  hope they find larry soon!!!

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/1-2-hikers-missing-sierra-nevada-found-safe/nSrK9/

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 07:25:54 AM »
I haven't read that they found the missing hiker, but after this much time I have serious doubts about his welfare....

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »
According to NPS they suspended searching yesterday due to weather conditions.

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »
This is very sad. This is one of those stories where we are all hoping for the best! I really do pray the last hiker is found soon!!

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
Waiting for breaking news from ABC:  Missing hiker found alive & in good shape.

Have to confirm asap.

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »
Wrong hiker.

The lost hiker discussed on ABC is from Sandy, the super storm.

Good for him.

Still hoping for the best.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »
the 'official' search and rescue has been suspended...   oh so sad.

there are some others up there looking tho.....

my heart just breaks over this story.  :(

Eastside fisher

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
Any word on this hiker, was he found.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »
no, he was not found.... they eventually called off the search..

so sad.. so very very sad.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
the good folks at high sierra topix are resuming the search for Larry, thier missing commrade,,,

so if you are interested in helping out, or may be in the area they are concerned with,,, here is the link for more info....

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8867