Author Topic: Mystery Location  (Read 9064 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Mystery Location
« on: October 29, 2012, 07:30:59 AM »
Can you guess where this photo was taken?

This is in the Eastern Sierra and we have talked about this lake a few times in the past in the forums.  The hint for today:  The Lake, stream and mountain all have the same name.

I will give more hints tomorrow if needed.

Lake, Stream and Mountain view

Alpine Lake

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Location
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:23:56 AM »
I guess this really is a secret location!  :doglick:  Thought the view of the peak would give the location away. 
New clues:  Located in Inyo County and there's no maintained trail to lake.  Where I'm I?

Looking the other direction at inlet to lake.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »
Mills Lake?   :hiking2:
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »
Mills Lake is correct.  Nice job Creek Dude!  Mills Lake is along the Sierra Crest just east of Ruby Lake.  The discharge of Mills Lake flows through Ruby Lake, Rock Creek Lake and then into Rock Creek.

Mount Mills is a Thirteener and popular with the peak climbers.  If you climb up a little from Mills Lake towards Mount Mills, there are some Glacier Tarns to see.  Worth a look if youíre up that way.

Glacier Tarn and Mount Mills

Sierraslam

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »
Any Golden's left in Mills?

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »
last I heard was no.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:07:55 AM »
I beleave bj is right.  I walked around and I took a close look at the lake and there was no activity what so ever.  Mills lake was self-supporting for many years but something must of happened to kill off the fish!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 07:19:40 AM »
Mills Lake has a good inlet for spawning goldens.  Water is cold and has a gentle flowing creek in springtime when goldens spawn.  Maybe Mills Lake frozen over one winter? 

Also do not see any future scheduled fingerling plantings from DFG.  No frogs present either!  We sure could use another golden Lake within a day hike in Little Lakes Valley!

Excellent Breading area

Sierraslam

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »
I almost hiked to Mills a few years back. I'm kind of glad I thought better of it. That last boulder feild up to Mills looks pretty tough, and to be skunked....ugh!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
Yes, that boulder field is bad, worse than the boulder field going up to Treasure lakes from Long Lake!  Mills Lake is something like 11,700 feet elevation, and the glacier tarn is like 12,300 feet.  The hike up to Mono Pass would be easier!  You be in rarefied air!

Not that Iím encouraging you to not make the trip up to Mills Lake, just be warned itís a tough hike and leave the fishing pole behind.  Also recommend avoiding the landslide area to the left of Ruby Lake, it looks like it could go at any time.  Just go around the right to get to Mills outlet creek and follow it up to the lake.  Great place to practice your photography!

Beautiful Ruby Lake - and the cross country route to Mills Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
Here is an recommended route from Google Earth if you ever decide to hike up to Mills Lake or beyond. 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 07:38:03 AM »
New Mystery Lake!

This should be easy to guess!  Well known lake to many of you.  This lake is in the Eastern Sierra near a town and the lake is a popular swimming hole in the summer.  Good fishing lake too!  Can you name this popular lake?   

Tree Swing Tied to a large Pine Tree

Brookie

Early Morning shot of Mystery Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
Lake and Swing

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »
The lake got its name by the shape of the lake.  You might say its pointy!  Itís also not a drive-to lake; you must hike up an easy trail 0.9 miles from the trailhead.  The closes town would be Mammoth.

Can you name this Lake?

Lakes Outlet

Mystery lake
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:42:53 AM by wshawkins »

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »
Arrowhead ?
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »
You know your Alpine Lakes bj!  That is Arrowhead Lake, first lake off from the Duck Lake Pass Trailhead.  Fishing good for Brookies and Rainbows.

Turnoff for Arrowhead lake from Duck Pass Trail

Arrowhead lake

Colorful Brook Trout Caught