Author Topic: Trip Report Nov 1-3  (Read 2755 times)

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Trip Report Nov 1-3
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »
On Thursday Nov. 1st left Las Vegas drove up 95 towards Beatty and over Westgard Pass. I’d never been this way as I usually go up 395. I got just east of the pass and saw the snowy Sierras in the distance and thought that maybe I should have looked on the Caltrans site to see if the pass was open…Too late for that.  Too far to turn back even if it was closed. It was open and quite the carnival ride. No 55mph here in spots. Also, when I saw a “one lane road ahead” sign I thought construction.  Well; it’s because the lack of construction. There is a squeeze of about 200’ of road where there is so much rock they only carved out one lane of it.
Got to Bishop and had a quick lunch.  I then headed up to Grant Lake to check out Rush Creek.  Windy, cold and cloudy.  I texted Sierra Slam to see if he was in the area. No luck his trip was pushed out a week. Grant was blown out with no easy areas to break the wind, so  I hopped over to another lake and pulled out this 2# brown; a personal best.  It was getting late, about 5 and getting dark and my hotel was waiting for me in Bishop.  I decided since I w/b out only 2 nights to hotel it rather than sleep out cowboy style. Even though I love it under the stars.
I got a late start Friday b/c of work to do and set out to Mammoth to fish McLeod.  I went up Lake Mary Rd. It was closed for the winter. Okay; one for my list next year.  Went to Convict and was skunked. There were two float tubers getting off the lake that had 3 larger size Alpers between the two of them.  So I went to the hot springs as a diversion and contemplated Saturday morning and the next season.
Saturday I got up at 7 ate; and checked out. Thought I’d fish upstream of PVR. but I decided to go south and fish the L.O.  In the Big Pine area I pulled a few out in the pictures and then to Big Pine Creek where I pulled in one small guy.  I was done by 12:30 and headed south to Big Bear to see a friend I haven’t seen in 10yrs. I spent the night and headed back to Vegas to catch my flight back to Austin.
I feel blessed I got out 3 times this season for some of the best fishing I’ve had in 35yrs. I owe some of that to the info received here. Thanks to all I look forward to the next season and more trip reports.
Pictures; a few will follow
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Report Nov 1-3
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »
It may have been short, Tex, but it sounds like an adventure.  Grant doesn't have too many sheltered spots, but I'll PM you about one that I know of where the fishing is usually good.  You can keep that spot for next year  :fishing3:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:11:52 AM »
It does sound like a grand adventure!!! you got alot in during that short time.   i could smell that fresh east side air as i read it.. thank you for that illusion!

great trip!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:12:22 PM »
I bet it felt great bringing in the 2 lb brown!   :fishing3:  Its why we come to the Eastern Sierra, that and the pie :pie:.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierraslam

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »
Nice trip! You should put up the picture of tour Brown. Nice fish! Good that you made it out for one last trip before Winter.