Author Topic: Last Trip of the season  (Read 3661 times)

Sierraslam

Last Trip of the season
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:56:39 AM »
Drove up last Thursaday night about 7:30. Made it to Mammoth in a snow storm about 1:00 cutting fresh tracks from 395 to our condo. Got up Friday and went to Grant for nada. Went to Silver lake in the afternoon and fished in a blizzard. The snow was blowing sideways. Had a no fish Friday in those conditions. Saturday we went to Convict. The wind wad blowing pretty hard in the parking lot, when we hiked all the way to the inlet it was cold, but tolerable. Had to watch your step with all the snow and ice on the trail. Made lots of long to medium cast's out with Mice Tail's and got nothing for the first 2 hours. Switched to a Half a Night Crawler and a really short cast and... bam! I hooked a 3+ pound Alper. Hooked some other nice stockers and a few casts later had a the drag go out! This Alper was about 5 pounds! I had a great day and a heavy stringer. Drove up to Rock Creek Lake in the afternoon and it was cold!!  We did not even get out of the car. There was snow covering the road from just above East Fork, and got pretty thick near the lake. I was surprised that none of the gates were shut, just the one by the pack station. Went to Toms and warmed up with a hot tody or 2. Sunday was clear and cool. Drove back up to RCL and it was just beautiful. About 20 degrees, clear, no wind, snow covered the whole shoreline, and 2 Coyotes searching for a meal. The lake was starting to freeze with about 2 feet of ice at the shoreline. One of my fishin buddies slipped and went in the lake and just about ruined his day. We all caught a few, though fishing was kind of slow. I got lucky and caught another big Alper. This one was around 3.5 pounds. The Game Warden actually showed up and checked us out. The fish & game Warden got a kick out my buddy fishing in his long underware, in the snow, in 20 degree weather, because his clothes were all wet. I can't beleive he toughed it out. I would have been back in that car and to the condo so fast! Hard core! The resident Coyote watched us fish all day and became quite the pest at times. He knows exactly what's going on. Leave your stringer and he'd have a feast. I caught one weired looking trout with a hump back that I fed to him. He ate it almost whole! That Coyote looked well fed. Monday we packed up and went to PVR. Got a few but nothing big. I have some video I'll put up as soon as I can. Great last trip even in the freezing cold! It's going to be a long 6 months waiting for the Opener 2013. Good Fishin!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Last Trip of the season
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »
Good fishing indeed!  Thatís how to close out the fishing season.  I have several big alpers in my freezer that will be barbecued soon!  Good tasting fish!  Thanks for sharing Sierraslam.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
I agree it's a nice way to end the season. Just thinking about it being the end of season sure makes spring seem a long ways away.  :freezing:

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »
Good report. Sounds kind of cold. Thanks for sharing.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
Way to go on those Alpers !  :clap:

It was definetly cold up there, cant believe your buddy braved it out in his longjohns, thats too funny.

We went to convict and RCL but on different days.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 10:26:54 AM »
Sounds like a mighty cold trip in general, but those Alpers made up for that in a big way.  Other than the coyotes, I'll bet you didn't have much company.

For breakfast/lunch at my desk I am having trout fillet fried in beer batter on top of fried rice.  How appropriate to read your report with this meal. 

Thanks for keeping me entertained with the trip report, Sierraslam.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
great trips!!!

and sooooo glad you both made it back out a-ok!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....