Author Topic: What are these???  (Read 5575 times)

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
What are these???
« on: November 23, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
I'm sure most people on the board know where these are located.  What are they?  I've heard different suggestions, but nobody has said for certain what they are.  Any ideas?

"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
Re: What are these???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »
Well, I believe they are the old stone firepits that used to be in the old campgrounds.  There is a bunch of them that line the creek alond French Camp. Depends on the location of this one in particular to decided for sure what it was.  There are also some other old foundations in the canyon where some of the old cabins used to be as well.
The creek is waiting...

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
Scout knows, I'm sure.
I've been told that the foundations along the creek at French Camp are from the Basque shepards who grazed their flocks along there.

Oldsarge
Smokey's watching you!

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 03:11:37 AM »
these are along the creek just below Big Meadow...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
I just went up there to check them out, kinda nice, a couple of inches of new, wet snow to slog through, real warm wind blowing. After looking around for a while, I found a few of them, and I still think that they were fire pits for the old campgrounds. As I said a couple of years ago, I have read stories of the CCC having a camp in Rock Creek Canyon somewhere ( I wish I knew where it was) in the 1930's, they did a lot of work putting in improvements like fire pits, trails, etc. The configuration of the campgrounds was different than it is today, this is where you sometimes have to use your imagination...just before you get to today's entrance to Big Meadow ( a few hundred yards, maybe), there's a turnout on the right. If you look at it, it looks like the road went down toward the creek, pretty much straight at the area Creek Dude is talking about. The road was different in those days too, which makes it even more of a puzzle.
This is the best theory I can come up with. If anyone sees any more of them, please post it on the board, I'd like to see them....I'm always trying to learn more about the Canyon.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »
I just went up there to check them out, kinda nice, a couple of inches of new, wet snow to slog through, real warm wind blowing. After looking around for a while, I found a few of them, and I still think that they were fire pits for the old campgrounds. As I said a couple of years ago, I have read stories of the CCC having a camp in Rock Creek Canyon somewhere ( I wish I knew where it was) in the 1930's, they did a lot of work putting in improvements like fire pits, trails, etc. The configuration of the campgrounds was different than it is today, this is where you sometimes have to use your imagination...just before you get to today's entrance to Big Meadow ( a few hundred yards, maybe), there's a turnout on the right. If you look at it, it looks like the road went down toward the creek, pretty much straight at the area Creek Dude is talking about. The road was different in those days too, which makes it even more of a puzzle.
This is the best theory I can come up with. If anyone sees any more of them, please post it on the board, I'd like to see them....I'm always trying to learn more about the Canyon.

Scout - I agree about the fire pits.  My Dad remembers using them as a kid when the road was only a dirt road and a trip to the lake was an adventure.  You are correct about the CCC. I discovered this many years agao and my plan next year was to try and pinpoint where they had set up the Rock Creek Camp...but if you get bored this winter perhaps you can give it a shot.  I had found these photos in the National Archives a few years ago and posted them once on the old board. This is the best picture of the camp as the other show more of the camp life and not necessarily the surroundings.  Here is the one I was going to try and use to find the camp location, I think I know where it is but actually printed up the photo to take with us when we come up next year-

This other photo is of them doing their KP's -

This is the washroom -
The creek is waiting...

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:14:18 AM »
I remember going up as a kid, actually went up to camp at 6 months, but do not remember that far back. Our favorite area, and pictures fron it make it seem to me this might be at Aspen camp. The open area was much larger and less wooded back then, so that would be my guess and a place to start comparing photo to landscape.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 07:27:08 AM »
That first picture looks like the Aspen/Iris area to me.  COOOOL shots!  I wonder if more can be found.  Online somewhere??

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
Here is a picture taken from Big Meadow, same mountain in the background (Red Mountain) but is too far up the canyon.  I looked at my 3D map software I have and it seems to pin point RockNCreekGirl picture right at Iris Meadows.  At least that is where I would start my search.  Should be walking distance from there.

Big Meadows
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 12:45:05 AM »
That first picture looks like the Aspen/Iris area to me.  COOOOL shots!  I wonder if more can be found.  Online somewhere??

I agree Creek Dude. Here are a couple of shots from Iris Meadows that appear to be the same as the first picture. One is closer up. The other from the meadow. Great learning some history of the CCC being there before it was Iris Meadows.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau