Author Topic: What is your favorite lure?  (Read 17387 times)

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
What is your favorite lure?
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
What is your favorite lure?

Everyone has a favorite "go to lure" that always seems to catch fish when the bite is slow. Also known as your confidence lure. The theory is that we fish more efficiently when we use the confidence lure and we end up catching more fish as a result.

I would also like to see if anyone could share anything new that has come onto the market that works good and where it works, stream, lake, back country, etc.

Believe it or not, my go to lure for the lake is one of the older ones (over 50 years) is the Gold Phoebe. One of the reasons I like it is that I can cast it far even if the wind is blowing and it catches fish. I have even caught largemouth bass with it in Lake Havasu and in the river by Parker Arizona.

My other favorite is the Gold Panther Martin #1 or #2. This is what I catch most of the back country trout with. I got hooked (no pun intended) after the guy at the tackle shop told us to use them when we told him we were going up McGee Creek. We caught and released a couple dozen 11+" Golden Trout, not to mention a 16" Brook. At one point we were in this big meadow where the stream snaked back and forth. I was standing on a log that bridged the creek watching a bunch of Golden Trout laying stationary in a hole. I dropped the Panther Martin into the current and stopped it just in front of the fish. Never expecting them to strike when they could see me like that, but the vibration must have created a strike response. I just kept catching them, one after another until it became boring. I then figure out if I cast the lure up stream keeping the line tight, sweep the lure across the creek in front of them and they would strike. That was probably 26 to 28 years ago and I have not found a better spinner type lure since.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite lure?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
Back in the day when I was working at the resort, this was THE lure to use.  Eventually I forgot about it and found the red/gold pattern to work well also.  Then last summer, I got a perch pattern again, and slayed em at RCL. We went to Lassen NP on the way home and I outfished the decked out flyfishers w/ the perch Buoyant at Manzanita Lake.  My profile shot is a 14 inch brown caught w/ a perch buoyant in Lassen.

In creeks, Panther Martins are my favs...

"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Chris W.

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »
Pintail.

I love this lure so much that now I have the manufacturer make them with my name on it.
Also the design is custom made so you will not see this pattern sold in the market.

Chris W.

The creek is waiting but let me stay dry....

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:07:16 PM »
If I had to go with just one lure, give me a White 1/32 mini jig!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Here's mine...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »
If you are going to the creek,  really,  any creek,  don't leave home without it...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:35:44 AM »
Met a guy at the gut station who had 5 large (understatement) browns out of Crowley who used the smaller Tasmanian Devils.  I've caught more fish on Panther Martins, but also like the T. Buoyant and Kastmaster.  For windy conditions from shore, the Kastmaster penetrates well out into the lake and you can flick it with trees all around, which lets me fish tight areas (less people).  Too heavy for streams, though, so back to the P. Martins.

Chris, that is a cool lure, very trim and great colors.  I won't find that in the stores, I know, but I will certainly try to find something similar.  I'm thinking a pintail in the float tube at Walker into the reeds at the inlet might be a slayer!   Engraved with your name?!?!?!  Pretty darned cool. 

Good thread!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

High Sierra

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:54:25 AM »
My go to lure is the gold Super-Duper.  Like saudust, I use a Kastmaster on windy days.

Chris W, that's about the coolest lure I've seen, and with your name on it!  Way cool!

Eastside fisher

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »
Now we know Chris W's secret, the fish see his name and just give up :-\
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:50:22 PM by Eastside fisher »

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 08:09:22 AM »
Terry, if you wanna go the flyfishing route, here's my favorite streamer in the Eastern Sierra...probably ANY trout lake...

I think most people on here have used an olive matuka before.  While working at the lake over the years, I quickly realized how great a fly it is, particularly trolled behind a boat 50 feet or more back...

In fact, 4 years ago or so, we had a little fishing derby in the evening...my dad and I in one boat, and my brother-in-law, Kevmon, and our friend Damian, the ukelele player (some will know what I'm talking about) in the other.  You're going to think I'm lying probably, but over a two-night period of maybe 4 hours of fishing we caught and released over 120 fish between the two boats.  I think we were only using matukas, but we may have also been dragging a wooly bugger around too...GREAT FLY.  Works well behind a fly/bubble too or stripping it back w/ a fly rod.

Works great here in Upstate CA too...

We went to Ruth Lake in Trinity County in October a few years ago, and the locals were throwing ideas at us like "Wedding Rings," a lure I hadn't heard of, and Z-Rays which are commonly used in the Sierra as well.  Neither worked.  We caught and released one up to lunch, which is when I decided to go East Side style and threw on a matuka...or it might have been a black wooly bugger.

In any case, after lunch we caught and released probably 15-20 trout, all bigger than 15 inches.  Point is STREAMERS WORK!
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Sierra Girl

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 08:49:39 AM »
I mostly use flies, but when I do use a lure I like the gold Panther Martin's.  Like Creed Dude, streamers have been my favorite fly for some time now.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:07:54 PM by Sierra Girl »

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 10:15:47 AM »
If a fly or streamer is the choice, I agree 100% with Creek Dude.  Olive Matukas are, without a doubt, the #1 streamer I use in the lakes, Woolly Buggers being second.  Most effective with the red thread rather than all green. 

Good call, Creek Dude!

TK, you'll have to demonstrate when we meet how to best present your choice.  Looks great!

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »
Lol, now I have a few of those Chris W. designer lures, but none are are signed by the master );
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »
wshawkins,

The lure hangin out of this Alper's mouth is from WYLD EDGE Outfitters. It's a heavy son of a gun that gets real deep in a hurry.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
As I have said before, on previous incarnations; the Phoebe is my go-to lure. Has been for over 40 years.

But, now...I've just got to have a couple of Chris W's signature series.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Troutmom

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
Hey I have one of those Gold Phoebe's in my tackle box - I got it from my dad too,for sentimental reasons I never use it 'cause I don't want to loose it, but I like the red and gold kastmaster, I also have a couple thomas bouyants - depends on my mood what I use.
Kim

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
With a spinning rig my "Go To" is a Kastmaster for sure. These days I'm mostly a fly guy and I have to agree that a Elk Hair Caddis is about as universal as it gets. For sub-surface it's hard to beat a small pheasant tail or copper john nymph.

I'm kind of surprised to hear so many have had success with the Phoebs lure but I'm not surprised at all to hear so many have them in there tackle box. If you guys remember every Zebco Set came with at least one and some even came with both a silver and a gold one.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 06:55:47 AM »
My favorite lures are Rooster Tails, there the ones I  have the best luck with fishing the Owens River....

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 04:09:37 PM »
In the past, I've had good luck on back country lakes in the evening with the Mepps Black Fury. They sell them optionally with a single hook which works out well if you want to release your catch.

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »
I like the metallic red (not painted red) Panther Martin.  In rivers and streams I go with a real small size and in lakes a medium size (always smaller than the full size Rooster Tails).  In rivers and streams it is always the first lure out of my box even if it is windy.  Unfortunately I find this Panther Martin slightly difficult to find in the stores where I live.

Super Dupers, Kast Masters, Phoebes get regular use especially when it is windy.  I like the gold color of each better than the silver but it may be superstition (based on a few awesome days).

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
OK, that was awesome!
I hope we get some more but I have to say, we just got something money can't buy.

For anyone visiting this forum, the folks contributing to this thread are the best of the best fishermen on the Creek and we just received in a couple of days, decades of experience from these anglers.

Very nice! ;D

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
Zebco use to be a Made in USA product    :(

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »
That is a fact John,  I can think of a couple of other boards that folks would have accused you of being a troll or something...we do have great people here.  For my two cents,  as far as lures are concerned,  spinners for moving water,  spoons for still water.  Hard to beat Krocodiles,   they are great spoons,  Gold kastmasters are awesome too.
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
Yes Topwater, I like the Needlefish which I believe is the same lure as the Krocodile, but instead of a treble hook, the Needlefish has a single hook. Way easy C/R.

Fav pattern, probably the Red Dot Frog.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
#2 frog pattern Needlefish, single hook, caught a 10.5 lb. Alper in Silver Lake in 2001.   Great trolling lure.

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
I have caught so many fish with Needlefish lures in the past while trolling RCL but haven't been trolling lately. Nothing fancy, just tied directly to the line with a couple split shot about 3' to 4' up and we would catch plenty. No leaded line or anything like I would hear people talking about. All the scientific stuff about temperature layers and trolling so many colors gives me a headache :-\.
It's a really fun way to troll because the Needlefish don't cause a lot of drag so when you get a strike you really feel it. Scares the crap out of you if your not paying attention. Of course nothing is more fun than trolling a fly because those hits are always hard.