Author Topic: What is your favorite lure?  (Read 17328 times)

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite lure?
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »
Hmm.. trolling a fly? Sounds interesting..
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Sierraslam

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
I use a Mepps w/ a gold blade. I have most of the others listed here in my tackle box. I love fishing the deep drops along the rock slides of higher elevation lakes. Seems like the smaller size lures do better up there. I've watched trout strike the old Mepps in that clear water a few times. Got to love it!

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
I love fishing the deep drops along the rock slides of higher elevation lakes.  I've watched trout strike the old Mepps in that clear water a few times. Got to love it!
It is so cool when that happens. The neatest example for me happened at Big Pine Lakes. I was fishing a dry fly just outside of the drop-offs which I could barely see because of the glacial water. I don't even know how the fish could see the fly through the water but they sure did. All of a sudden you would just see this torpedo materialize coming up and smashing the fly, quite the rush!

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
Hmm.. trolling a fly? Sounds interesting..
Murders 'em...
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:25 PM »
Murders 'em...

That's right! I was trolling with this tied directly to the end of the 4lb line of a microlight spinning rod:

And pulled in this after an intense 10 minute battle. It was 5lb - 4oz and I would have never landed it with the microlight rod if I was not in a boat. This is why you see so many guys in float tubes trolling flies. It's an easy way to fly fish without having to actually cast. Just get in the tube and start kicking while letting out line.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 11:56:47 PM »
Wow!! Nice catch trouter! So how deep does that thing go when you're trolling it? What's the technique?
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 09:48:46 PM »
Wow!! Nice catch trouter! So how deep does that thing go when you're trolling it? What's the technique?

I don't think it goes very deep while you are moving (depending on speed). Just troll slow and do some zig zagging to vary the presentation. I would normally tie on a 2lb leader to the end of the 4lb line but for some reason I just tied right on to the 4lb line. I would not have won the battle with 2lb leader. The day I caught that one was very slow as we had only caught a couple in a few hours them that thing hit and started stripping line alarmingly fast. We had to chase it for a while and I just wore it down finally.

Keeping it was a real dilemma for me but since that fish took 35 years of fishing that lake to catch, I decided to keep it. I made it to the store just in time to weigh it before they closed and couldn't wait to come back the following year and see my picture on the big fish board at the store. I also had fun going back to pick up the frozen fish when we went home.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 09:01:59 AM »
Mcgee Dude,

I know you've seen the little fingerling hatchlings near the shores in both slow streams and lakes.  These streamer flies are mimicking those bait, so short, darting flicks and twitches also help.  The sink rate depends on speed of trolling, line weight, split shots attached and whether you're fishing mono or fluorocarbon.  Generally they run shallow

Trouter, looks like a good bar-b-que was in order for that bad boy.  You knew it was bad when it started stripping line!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Albacore

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »
I have to pick just one?  Well, I would probably have to side with Trouter, and go with the gold Panther martin.  I use a lot of these, and just love 'em.  But I will also have to throw a shout out for mini jigs, and small Rapala floater / divers in various trout patterns.
Sex and Fish and Rock and Roll

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »
Trouter, That's a lot of fish for microlite gear. Great job, that must have been a real challenge.
Also I'm in with Panther Martins!

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
Red and gold thomas buoyant.  That is always the go to lure when nothing else works.

spank13

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
I'm just now getting the hang of ChrisW's favorite lure but my old faithful is a F13 or F11 OG Gold Rapala. Too many browns to count caught on that lure...

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »
An ice cold beer and comfy chair by the fire....seems to lure them in every time!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
An ice cold beer and comfy chair by the fire....seems to lure them in every time!
That'd probably get me!  :lol2:

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 04:35:03 PM »
How do you all fish the wooly's?  I've tried many times with nothing to show for it. 

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
Exodus, a slow troll in a boat with a little action imparted to the rod, kind of soft jig motions to simulate a darting bait or use a fly and bubble with the same ploy.  You can use fluorocarbon to let it slightly sink or a small split shot up about 24" or more if you feel you need to get it down deeper.  I have my best luck if it's down about 2 to 3 feet.  Wooly Buggers and Matuka's are my go to streamer flies.

Sometimes it seems like you spend all day and then out of no where you get slammed.

4 more days to SLR.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Thanks so much for the tips.  I'll give that a shot.