Author Topic: Another question for Scout...  (Read 1877 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Another question for Scout...
« on: December 05, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
maybe someone else knows the answer too...back in the 70's,  was there a different flow going down Lower Rock Creek?  I seem to remember the whole creek going down that way,  without any water being diverted to Crowley.  Also,  was there a different kind of culvert down there back then?  I caught my first ever fish down there,  and I seem to remember a large square opening where the water came out from under the freeway.  By the way,  I am talking about the area downstream from Tuffs...Last time I was down in there,  there was just a smaller round culvert...feeling nostalgic now fur sure :clap:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Another question for Scout...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:18:26 AM »
The only changes to Rock Creek that I know of are by Tom's Place. In 1968 the new highway (current Hwy. 395) consruction was started, and lots of things changed. Prior to that, the creek ran closer to Tom's than it does today...if you dig around in the sage below and beside the lower cabins at Tom's, you can find the old creek bed, they didn't move it that far. You can also find one large hole that was in the "old"creek that had the water intakes for all of the cabins that line the creek below the highway, a whole bunch of various sized water lines. I can remember being at our cabin that year with no water...good planning on their part.
The biggest change involved the catch basin across the creek from Tom's, and the diversion channel to Crowley, both taking a good amount of water from Rock Creek itself (thanks, DWP). It has been kind of sad watching the creek silt in in some of the pools I learned to fish in when I was a kid, due to the fact that there are no more flash floods going past the catch basin.
Below that, nothing has changed that I know of. Below the new highway (below Tom's Place), the creek went back into it's original channel, and it's the same as it was in the 50's, except for the silt. As far as the culvert , if you're talking about where the creek goes under 395 below Tuff, I'm not sure.....the bottom of the campground (more cabins down there in the 50's) was about as far as we'd fish in that direction. We fished lower Rock Creek, but farther down from the highway.
To the best of my knowledge, the creek has been in it's current configration since 1969, maybe 1970, when the highway was completed, or almost completed.
Is this what you were curious about?
The changes to Crooked Creek, where the highway crosses it today, were even more severe....

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Another question for Scout...
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »
Yep,  I think so.  I always pretty much knew that the amount of water going  down Lower Rock creek changed with the diversion of water to Crowley.  Still don't know why that is necessary,  it would all flow down into Pleasant Valley or the Lower Owens anyway and then DWP would get their water.  I know my family used to really like to fish right where the water came out from under 395 in the direction of Paradise Resort.  Used to catch a ton of grasshoppers down there and then just hammer the trout.  I thought maybe they had changed the configuration of the culvert at some point,  just another little nugget in the history of the area...first place I ever caught a fish so it has great memories...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...