Author Topic: Pics from Scout  (Read 45922 times)

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Pics from Scout
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
Here's one Scout sent me of Tom's Place from back around 1925 or so...

That's Tom standing there, approximately where the current Cabin 10 stands, uphill from Crowley Lake Dr. (you can see the old bridge at the left). That's the old Lodge, the building with the chimney up the side, probably just completed, which would put this about 1924, maybe 25. Those are tent cabins behind the lodge, before he built the cabins that you see today. Buildings on the downhill side of the road, the original store and garage, were all demolished in 1931 so the new, wider highway could be built. Everybody up and down the road had to relinquish 50 ft. of their property to the highway dept. for the widening.
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Pics from Scout
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:37:25 AM »
this is so cool!    thank you both!

priceless..... simply priceless.
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »
Simply wicked awesome. I love old pictures. I watch Laurel and Hardy as well as Three Stooges to see old scenes of L.A. and id streets.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:01:46 PM »
More from Scout...

Here's one of the front of the Lodge, 1924 or 25. That's Scout's mom standing on the road (hard to see), she's about 7. A few interesting things about this pic....if you look this direction today, you'll notice that the big tree behind the Lodge (the big one to the left) looks pretty much the same today as it did 90 years ago, kind of amazing.
You'll have to use your imagination for the next one. When this was taken, today's Crowley Lake Dr. ( the old highway ) wasn't in place yet....by looking to the left of the fence posts, there isn't anything going toward Bishop.. According to Happy Jack Partridge, the road came up Lower Rock Creek, continued up through what is now Tuff Camp, then went straight along the right side of Little Round Valley toward Crooked Creek. The road made a left turn below Tom's Place ( you can still see it), went up the hill, turned right in front of the Lodge, then turned left to go up the Canyon...the road up Rock Creek had been started by this time. There was also a turn off to go toward Aspen Springs, then the road continued toward Mammoth. The Highway that is now Crowley Lake Dr. was put in about 1925.
The last thing...if you can find a real old picture of the Lodge at Tamarack Resort, it looks a lot like Tom's. My G'ma told me that the folks that owned Tamarack liked the design, and asked Tom if they could use it. Tamarack has been added onto so many times that it's hard to rcognize the original part.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »
Thatís a great picture!  Thanks for bringing out your old pictures complete with history lessons.  Itís interesting how the road went before the highway was built.  Must have been tough to drive to the Eastern Sierra in them days.

One of my old photos from my collection of Tomís Place, about 1924.  This is just opposite of your first photo, looking the opposite direction.  I just love the old cars parked in front of Tomís Place.  Looks like a picture from an old movie.   Not sure if this is even a Burton Frasher's photo.  Is this the lodge that burned down in 1947?

Tomís Place 1924
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:17:49 AM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierraslam

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »
very cool pictures! There was a time when those cars would make it all the way to Morgan Pass!

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »
We all have to thank Creek Dude for figuring out how to get these pictures on the board, I've been frustrated for years trying to do it. I just hope he ( or any of you guys) doesn't get burned out on the whole thing...I have a lot of pictures. And, if this keeps up, maybe I can compile all of the pics, and descriptions, into something....
I have a ton of information stored somewhere in my head, waiting to be let out. I find that looking at the pictures that I want to post triggers all the stories I've heard that normally would have stayed hidden. Even better are questions, they can really get me going ( just ask Packer). If I know the answer, I'll tell you what I know, if I don't, I"ll let you know that too. If anybody is interested, feel free to ask me things about the Rock Creek area, maybe I can help.
Yes, that's the Lodge that burned in '47...I'm looking for more pics, and a newspaper article I found that describes that night.
Thanks for your support, and thanks again Dude.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:45:38 PM »
No big deal...glad to do it.  That pic from Hawkins is sweet...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »
Scout, you have a knack for writing and the stories in your head are just pushing to get out on to paper.  The winter months might just be the ideal time to start jotting down notes about each picture and I bet before you know it stories will unfold, maybe just one at a time or maybe a floodgate on a given day, but I think you've already started your book whether you know it or not.

The old pictures remind me of simpler times, although they probably were tough as could be compared to nowadays.   

Your literary fan club is waiting. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »
I think Saudust said it best, start with one picture at a time and tell the history of that photo as best you can.  You can go by dates (oldest first) or just an area at a time (like Tomís Place).  Itís up to you.  The questions will come once you start your stories.  I already have some questions Scout:

Tom bought the place (Rock Creek Station?) from Hans Lof in 1923 and built Tomís Place in 1924.  Was anything saved from Hans Lof, or did Tom tear everything down?  Any buildings left from 1916/17?

In 1924, you said the road came up Lower Rock Creek, continued up through Tuff Camp, and then went straight along the right side of Little Round Valley toward Crooked Creek. The road made a left turn below Tom's Place (you can still see it), went up the hill, turned right in front of the Lodge, and then turned left to go up the Canyon.  Can you pin point where the road made a left turn below Tomís Place where you can see it?  Like to check this out.

Have you or your mother,grandmother ever looked at the old wagon road (Sherwin Grade)?  Goes right up to Rock Creek.

Old Wagon Road of Sherwin Grade

Any info on this Rock Creek Canyon on September 4, 1916, to celebrate the completion of the new state highway up Sherwin Grade?  Over 1,000 people showed up.  Where in the canyon do you think this was?

1916 celebration of new state highway

How about the ďMidway StationĒ that was said to be located in Rock Creek?  Understand this was an important stage coach stop in the old days before the automobile.  Where was this located?

Midway Station on Rock Creek 1927

Thanks Scout!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »
This is a great topic! I love the history of the Eastern Sierra.
Scout, please keep it coming.
You with your history, and Hawk with his mines have us on the edge of our chairs!

Old Sarge
Smokey's watching you!

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
This is great. I'll answer questions first.
The only things at Tom's that date to Hans Lof (interesting stories abut him too, only one pic) are the log cabin behind the cafe/bar/store builing. Hans Lof built it, pretty impressive as he only had one hand...I have a couple of pictures of my Mom standing in the doorway, I'll post it ( or CD will) as soon as I figure out how to enlarge it. The only other thing is a canvas sign that's hanging in the cafe, next to the fireplace, that says" Rock Creek Station, Hans Lof, 1917".  Everything else is gone...there wasn't much there when Tom bought it, the few buildings that were there got torn down in 1931...small store, garage, gas station.
Between the dumpsters by Tom's Place store and the first group of cabins below the store (toward Bishop) you'll see a dirt road, it now leads to the cabins behind the cafe. Before the new highway was built, that road connected to the "main" road through Tuff, ....there's a brown shingle cabin with a detached garage, also shingles, down by the creek, you can see it clearly from Tom's...the road went almost straight from that cabin to Tom's Place. Before the new highway, the road that led to Crooked Creek went straight, it didn't make the bend that it does today, It crossed Rock Creek at a ford (shallow spot, not a car...still there, but covered by bushes), no bridge...I remember going through that in a 56 VW when I was a kid. Does that make any sense?
Nice to see that you found the Virtual Transportation Museum ws...everybody should check it out, some really cool stuff....
I've been following the wagon tracks on old Sherwin Grade for years, very interesting, almost got the whole route figured out.
I think I figured out where they had that picnic to celebrate the opening of the road, but I'm afraid the spot is now under the highway...gotta take more pics to compare. I can look up the story in the Inyo Register archives at Laws Museum.
I don't know anything about Midway, not even from the old timers, although I didn't even know it existed when I talked with most of them, so didn't know to ask....back to the County offices....it was across the road from Tom's Place, the same spot as Rock Creek Inn.
Thanks to everybody for your ideas and enthusiasm. I've always thought that when this project was ready to be put together, it would just happen...I think this is a good start.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
I found the article about the Lodge burning....here goes             JAN. 2, 1948
                 CAFE, BAR, OTHER BUILDINGS SAVED
Fire believed to have been caused by a faulty oil heater went out of control early Tuesday morning at Tom's Place, popular Mono county resort north of Bishop, destroying the Lodge, several adjoining cabins and other facilities.
Vernon "Ted" Berner, in charge of the resort, discovered the fire in the oil heating room about 5:30 A.M.. When he opened the door to the room, the flame rushed at him, and he quickly spread the alarm. The lodge was full of guests, all of whom were quickly evacuated. Guests and residents of the area joined forces to fight the fire, which had developed to such a state that efforts were almost futile. The resort's water supply, which comes from icy Rock Creek, was practically frozen for fighting the fire.
Volunteers from the area, including the City of Los Angeles trucks in Bishop and one from Whitmore Springs rushed to the scene, but the blaze was well on its way. Water was played on the buildings directly across the street, where the heat was so hot it broke a plate glass window in the bar, and scorched the buildings.
During the blaze the water tower near the lodge crashed, dousing the Berner cabin and keeping it from being burned. The ice rink and children's playground to the rear of the resort served as firebreaks. The building east of the resort, where the bar was formerly located, received a good scorching, but the metal roof, and the efforts of the volunteers kept the building from igniting. Also destroyed in the blaze was the resort's laundry setup, toilet facilities, several power and telephone lines. Only one pine tree caught fire in the freezing weather.
The blaze was fanned by a brisk north wind, which helped to keep the flames from jumping the highway to the store, cafe, bar and service station.
The lodge was one of the best known in the entire Inyo-Mono, having been constructed more than 25 years ago by Tom and Hazel Yerby. The loss, estimated at about $20,000 was covered by insurance, Kenneth G. Irons, insurance agent of Bishop stated.

This fire was not connected to the burning of Rock Creek Inn...I'll have to dig around to get info on that one.

Something I forgot for ws about the picnic in Lower Rock Creek....I think the spot was somewhere near where the creek goes under 395 below Tuff....once again you have to imagine what the area looked like before the highway...the creek wasn't changed, but the topography changed with the fill they put in for the road....I think the spot is somewhere under that fill.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 09:10:41 PM »
Thanks for the history lessons Scout!  Always love to hear about the way it was back then. 
The creek is waiting...

Sierraslam

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
Ice Rink!! I never knew there was an ice rink at Toms! I'd love to see a picture of that. Toms must have been quite the resort back in the day. The place was full in January! Great stuff! keep it comming.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

First, a short newspaper article, Jan. 5 1932...

"Mounting reports of the number of persons snowbound in the Mono basin district in the Sierra Nevada mountains spurred road crews on today as they attempted to clear the snow choked highways of the region. Reports received here indicated some 200 persons, including eighteen high school students, were hemmed in at various retreats by the drifts. Although the situation of most of them was not regarded as precarious, reports indicated some were running short of supplies.
Two expectant mothers, Mrs. A.W. Brockman, of Mono, and Mrs. George Lebrecht, who were enroute to Los Angeles for medical care, were confined to a ranch and a power station.
State highway crews joined with men dispatched by the Los Angeles water and power bureau in attempting to break through the drifts and clear highways for supply trucks. The drifts ranged from six to eleven feet in depth."

I've read other articles about this situation. It seems that this snow blower, what the old timers called a "Sno-go", had just been built in Southern California, was pretty much untested, but was available to make the trip to Mono. They say it had a top speed of eight MPH, even when not plowing. Imagine how long it must have taken to get here. This is a private photo, but I don't know who took it. It is in my G'ma's collection, I can only surmise. The impressive thing to me is, whoever took the picture must have known that they were capturing something historic. Somehow they made it down old Sherwin Grade to meet the thing on its way up the hill.
   When I was talking with Happy Jack Partridge, years ago, I showed him this picture. He looked at it for a minute, then said " oh yeah, I use to drive that rig for the county" , I guess iyt was herre for quite a while.

- Scout

Oha Ridge

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »
Great stuff! Thank You! :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »
Found this in the new book, Inyo National Forrest by Andy Selters. 

ďJim and Frankie Birchim built the Rock Creek Inn in 1933, a few hundred yards west of Tomís Place.  This building burned down in 1945, but a new owner built a more extensive resort, including 26 cabins and an outdoor dance floor.  In 1962, it burned down, too.Ē

The book has other interesting information, such as the road built up the canyon and info on the CCC, among others things.  And has many photos I never have seen before.  Not sure how accurate the dates are in the book as this photo of Rock Creek Inn is from Frasherís Photo dated 1931?

Rock Creek Inn 1931

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »
Scout's latest...

This is one of my favorite pictures. I'm sure that some of you have seen it hanging in Tom's Place Cafe, and may have wondered about it. That's Tom and my mom in what has to be one of the first chest carriers for babies. This was taken in 1918, by my Grandmother's notes, they were on their way to fish Convict. This is shortly after they moved to Bishop in 1918.

A short family history. My Grandmother, Hazel, was born in Snohomish, WA in 1889, spent a part of her childhood in Skagway, AK, where her father had opened a hardware store to cater to the miners. I have some very interesting stories that she wrote after the fact (not diaries, she was only 7). Her dad got injured in an ice skating accident, her mother took him to the States for treatment, leaving my G'ma with relatives that she disliked. She proceeded, with the help of a cousin, to board a liner (The Queen), and sailed to Seattle to join her parents. She went to school, then began a career in acting ("legitimate, of course" was her own description). She traveled the country for a while, ending up in Jackson, Wy. where she met Tom Yerby...she told me she was immediately impressed with "the gentleman fly fishing from a bridge, wearing a suit."

Not much is known about Tom's early years, for some reason. I've tracked down geneology, but that won't tell me why he did things he did, moved places, etc. Tom was born in Bee Branch Arkansas in 1886, spent some time in Indian Territory as a child, then I kind of lose the trail. He was a tailor by trade, as well as a hunter and fisherman. He and Hazel were married in St. Anthony Id. in 1914, then it seems they traveled around that part of the country for a while ( i like to think he was in the pursuit of elusive trout ). They ended up in Helena Mt., where they adopted my mother at a very young age ( only days old). Then, for reasons unknown, they moved to Bishop. I really wish I knew why they moved here( elusive trout?) but they ended up buying a house in town ( corner of Sneden and Clarke Sts., it's still there) and Tom opened a tailor shop and dry cleaners at the intersection of East Line and Whitney Alley ( still there).

Then it was on to Rock Creek.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »
fabulous.. this is simply fabulous!!!!!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
The SNOGO !!!    How cool is that thing omg!!  That is an amazing photo.

gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »
A classic photo, Scout.  Look at him...boots all laced up, baby in front, holding a fly rod and a cigar in his mouth, all with a smile and that smug look of "Can't beat this!"  Super cool.  Thanks guys.  :clap: :clap:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 08:54:43 AM »
Amazing stuff Scout, thanks for posting it(creek too).

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »
Fantastic Scout! and thanks Creek Dude. Keep it coming!
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »
Somehow that's what makes Tom's Place, Tom's Place! Thanks Scout!!!
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: