Author Topic: Pics from Scout  (Read 46232 times)

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
Re: Pics from Scout
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »
This was taken right beside the Cafe building, you can recognize the end of the lodge and chimney stack on the upper left. The photo was turned into a post card, so the fishing aspect was more a publicity stunt than anything. My Grandmother told me that while they were posing the shot, the game Warden drove by, stopped, backed up and asked Tom what he was doing fishing out of season, he of all people should know better. Tom just raised his rod tip to show the Warden that there wasn't a fly on the end of his line...he did know better.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 10:57:20 PM »

This is a shot of the old gas station at Tom’s Place before the road was widened.  I think it was located right about where the old block ice machine (that thing with the snowmobiles on the roof) is today, by lining up the trees in the background, always one of my best clues. That’s my G’ma’s writing, maybe this was destined to become a postcard?

I’m  sure that both Hans Lof and Tom saw the potential of having a gas station here (Hans’s operation was called “Rock Creek Station”). With the advent of the automobile, and the fact that there was nothing between Bishop and Mammoth, they had the right idea.  Tom was just a little better with his finances than Hans.  Another factor was the creation of the road up Rock Creek.

I found this amongst all of the stuff….from the Inyo Register, but exact date is unknown, for now.

“More Scenery for Tourists”

Up in the High Sierra region, up among the forests of pine, and cedar and fir, lies a beautiful vacation spot that will be open to the motorist next summer. It is known as the Rock Creek Lakes region and is reached out of Bishop over a road that winds through the picturesque Round Valley and up the unforgettable Sherwin Hill.

Rock Creek is a mountain stream that has its source in Rock Creek Lakes, a group of nine lakes formed by melting snow from the lofty peaks that surround them. It flows into Owens River and eventually finds its way into the Los Angeles aqueduct.

The City of Los Angeles has the power privileges on Rock Creek and each year must do a certain amount of development work to retain that privilege. Development this year consists of the building of a road that when finished will run nine miles from the State highway at a point called Hans Lof’s Place. Unless you are a sturdy biped you will find that a quadroped from Han’s collection of high-steppers and back- sliders is about the best means of locomotion afforded in a country of wild scenery.

The road from Lof’s emporium on the highway is about two miles done. It was started about two years ago by the city, but work was halted because the powers-that-be felt that the United States Forest Service should share in some of the expense of building the road.  The Forest Service was nothing loathe. and so this year it contributed $3500 toward the expense of construction. This is only about one tenth of what the total cost will be, but it at least demonstrated the spirit of cooperation on the part of the Forest Service.

There are panoramas at Rock Creek Lakes that may be classed with the finest in the world. The towering snow-clad Sierras rim the lakes and at one place on the divide no less than seven lakes can be seen without stirring from the spot. The region has long been known to real Izaac Waltons and each summer they pack in for long bouts with the wary rainbow, the Loch Leven and the popular Dolly Varden.

But this is not all the region will have to offer in the way of attraction next summer. Its magnificent scenery  and fishing will be more easily available through the completion of the new road, but its manifold advantages as a wonderful resort in the High Sierras are so manifest that Ranger H.H.Simpson has completed a survey for 250 cabin sites, four resort sites and camping grounds. All this will be thrown open to the general public and a site rush resembling the days of ’49 is expected.     – Paul Lowery in L.A. Examiner

This sounds like the next year….Inyo Register, date not clear

“New Rock Creek Road”

Work is being resumed up Rock Creek , via Hans Lof’s Station. Something over two miles was built last year through the narrow gorge west of the last highway crossing of the creek, opening that route through to a sagebrush flat beyond and within about six miles of the lakes.  The road through the short gorge is compelled to adopt a grade of 12 percent for a short distance; outside of that, the new route should be easy travel and will certainly assist greatly in opening a fine scenic region. It will reach the Rock Creek Lakes Resort.

Then, in Oct. 1923, from the Inyo Register

“Yerby Bought Resort”
T.J. Yerby has bought Hans Lof”s road station on the highway near the Rock Creek crossing. He will take personal charge of it next season, carrying on his tailoring business in town in the meantime.  He has sold his residence property to the O.V.T. Co., which is about to construct a large garage on it for company use.

So, lots of questions answered, but lots more presented. The last article about the road construction makes it sound like Rock Creek Lakes resort was already up there, more than likely accessed by the Sand Canyon/ Wheeler Crest road…I can find that info in the USFS records, I hope. What happened to the “250 cabin sites”? “Four resort sites”? And the house Tom sold in Bishop is still standing, not a garage.

I’ll try to get to the Laws Museum, and the Inyo Registers sometime to find more accurate dates, and maybe an article about the completion of the road.

- JEFF
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

roygin1

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »
 Great stories Jeff, before you know it you will have your book on line.  :fishing4:
Boyz become Men just with bigger Toyz

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
I'm 99.9% sure the Sand Canyon Road went down the mountain and bent south toward the lake near the bottom, but followed the path that's still there that goes to the cabins above the lake instead of down the current trail.  The pack station still uses it today to bring in their stock every year.

In the cabin area, the main "road" weaves down to the lake through a number of cabins.  Back in the day, I assume it still did, but it also forked and continued south across the creek at the top of the falls and up to Mosquito Flat and over Morgan Pass.  Can you imagine that drive in 1915??

I don't know how accurate I am on that...I think I'm close.  Scout will know more.

Sierraslam

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »
I think you're on to it Creek Dude. Just did the hike to Dorothy Lake, and you can see there was once a road at the top of the ridge. I missed the cut off and ended up on a well developed trail above the cabins. Had to back track to get back to the trail head.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »
Sand Canyon was a logging road and did go to the lake...so it could be a possibility.  I know that my cabin site was selected in 1923 and they had to hike in from Iris as that is where the road ended.  According to my historical records I have from my cabin, the road was completed to at least Palisade by the summer of 1924 as they were finally able to drive up to our cabin site.  I know there are many documents at Laws and I have spent many hours in their library. 
The creek is waiting...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »
Years ago, my Dad had an urge to back pack in to the Dorothy and Francis areas. I won't go into the details of that trip, but the thing I remember most is, when we started up the trail to Kenneth from the current trailhead at the Lake, my Mom told us that the trail was the original road into Rock Creek . It didn't look like a road then, it still doesn't, but then again, look at Crankcase....
I agree with Creek Dude, RC Girl, etal about the old road up Wheeler, and Hawkins seems to have found the definitive map. It seems to me that the Sand Canyon/Wheeler road came down to RC Lake at the Kenneth trailhead, as well as heading up canyon (look at the map...the dotted red line heads right toward the trailhead, the solid red line heads for the cabins above the Lake).
As you drive down the hill from Mosquito Flats today, just below the second bridge from MF, look to the right, you'll see a dirt road/stock trail....it's the blue line on Hawk's map. If you follow this road, it will eventually take you to the cabins ( it will involve at least one creek crossing, I imagine there was a bridge at some time)...you can also access this road at the dirt overflow parking area below MF, just walk toward the creek. So, in effect, you can go from Mosquito Flat all the way to the Sand Canyon road.
I think Creek Dude knows Lee Webb, he owns a cabin at the top of the Lake, it's been in his family for a long time. He has told me stories of the trucks and work crews still using the road that goes through the cabins to access Morgan Pass in the forties and fifties, before they used the Pine Cr. road.
The dates for RCLR will be a mystery until I (or anybody else) can get into the USFS records, either in Bishop, maybe Bridgeport, maybe even the Bancroft Library in Berkeley, or the National Archives...once again, my archaic dial up prevents me from accessing some of the museums, but I can do Bishop and Bridgeport, it'll just take time. Getting to the Resort before the road was built up the Canyon could have involved pack trains, wagons, etc. Johnny Fobes told me his parents took a stage coach up there in 1923 or 24 for their honeymoon.

Sierraslam

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 09:13:03 AM »
When I missed the cut off on my back from Dorothy, I managed to trudge down off the trail into Lee Webb's back yard. Very nice guy with a wealth of info. about the area. He told me both of his parents ashes were spread on top of Half Moon Pass. I remember him telling me That the original road to Morgan Lakes went right by his cabin.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
J.L.C. Sherwn had the first sawmill in the area, on lower Rock Creek. That was the main reason he built the first part of the Lower Rock Creek Road in the 1870's. As you are driving up from Swall Meadows toward Tom's Place, just after you have gone through the notch at the summit, look up the canyon, you'll see faint remnants of the road that led to his sawmill, lower down the hill than the current road. The site of the mill is slightly downstream from the bridge crossing before you start climbing again. The road ended at the sawmill until the mines in Mammoth took off in the late 1880's, then he continued his road on up Lower Rock Creek, eventually to Mammoth. Sherwin also built a road from Sherwin Meadows (Swall) as a shortcut from his house to the mill...as far as his house still being there, that's something I've never researched.
After Sherwin lengthened his road, another sawmill was built....just before you get to Hwy. 395 on the old road, look to the right, you'll see a large cleared area (a fire went through there a few years ago, the site is easy to spot, you can also see it from the highway), the second mill was on that flat area. Use your imagination again...before the current 395 was built, and none of the fill necessary for the highway was there, there was (is) a canyon that continued in the direction of the Gorge, access to all kinds of timber out there, you can still see tree stumps from the logging out toward the Gorge.
As far as sawmills in the Canyon, there was one at the inlet to Rock Creek Lake. The Roger's cabin, above the Lake (Jeff Kozak's cabin) was built from logs cut at the mill, according to Jeff's Grandfather. As far as remnants of the mill, maybe that's what people are seeing up there, I don't know. I've also heard that there was a mill in the East Fork area, but nothing for sure at this point.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 06:00:47 AM »

This was taken in 1936, more than likely by my Grandmother...it has her writing all over it. On the back she writes "Hauling supplies to Tungsten mine up Rock Creek." What a cold, long trip that must have been!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 07:44:26 AM »
J.L.C. Sherwn had the first sawmill in the area, on lower Rock Creek. That was the main reason he built the first part of the Lower Rock Creek Road in the 1870's. As you are driving up from Swall Meadows toward Tom's Place, just after you have gone through the notch at the summit, look up the canyon, you'll see faint remnants of the road that led to his sawmill, lower down the hill than the current road. The site of the mill is slightly downstream from the bridge crossing before you start climbing again. The road ended at the sawmill until the mines in Mammoth took off in the late 1880's, then he continued his road on up Lower Rock Creek, eventually to Mammoth. Sherwin also built a road from Sherwin Meadows (Swall) as a shortcut from his house to the mill...as far as his house still being there, that's something I've never researched.
After Sherwin lengthened his road, another sawmill was built....just before you get to Hwy. 395 on the old road, look to the right, you'll see a large cleared area (a fire went through there a few years ago, the site is easy to spot, you can also see it from the highway), the second mill was on that flat area. Use your imagination again...before the current 395 was built, and none of the fill necessary for the highway was there, there was (is) a canyon that continued in the direction of the Gorge, access to all kinds of timber out there, you can still see tree stumps from the logging out toward the Gorge.
As far as sawmills in the Canyon, there was one at the inlet to Rock Creek Lake. The Roger's cabin, above the Lake (Jeff Kozak's cabin) was built from logs cut at the mill, according to Jeff's Grandfather. As far as remnants of the mill, maybe that's what people are seeing up there, I don't know. I've also heard that there was a mill in the East Fork area, but nothing for sure at this point.

Thanks Scout!  I really just threw that question out there, didn't really think you would know the answer as the sawmills are from the late 1800's.  Should be fun this spring once the snow clears and I can do some discovering.  Thanks again.

Great picture on the "Hauling supplies to Tungsten mine up Rock Creek'.  Could have used that photo on my "The Story of the Pine Creek Tungsten Mine" story.   ;D
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »

And we think we have it tough getting around in the snow. This is in front of the original store and garage buildings at Tom's Place, pre 1931, when the road was widened, and Tom had to tear down and rebuild everything on the downhill side of the road. Everybody with property close to the road prior to 1931 had to cede any of their property within 50 feet of the center line of the proposed new highway...Fobes 40, Happy Jack's, all the properties between " Yerby's and McGee Creek. "

There is a story that Ted Berner, son of the family who bought Tom's Place from my G'ma, told me, that I can't substantiate, but it's a fun one anyway. It seems that after Tom had razed the old buildings on the side of the road that was affected, he set the forms for the new Store/Cafe building, and soon it was ready for concrete. The State crews started working on the bridge over Rock Creek, right beside the resort , just about the same time. When they would come in with a truck full of material, Tom (supposedly) would go out, grab a hand full of the cement, run it through his fingers, then tell the State crew that the cement "wasn't up to standard for a State Highway bridge, but if you want to dump it in my forms over there, it's fine for a building, and you can go back and get a better batch." Supposedly the State crew had quite a few loads that were "sub standard", and they poured a great portion of Tom's new building for him.

As I stated, I don't know if this is true or not, but sometimes you just have to accept something as a good story, and take it for granted that it could have happened...

Another interesting aside. In the 1990's the County decided, in their infinite wisdom, that the Store/'Cafe building was not up to code,may be dangerous in the event of an earthquake and may have to be torn down. Somebody decided to check this out, and tried to cut a "test hole" in one of the walls. If you've ever really looked at that building, the walls are at least a foot thick, when they started trying to put a hole in the wall, there was so much stuff imbedded in the cement ( spikes, nails, barbed wire, chunks of metal...anything they could throw in there) , the decision was made that the building was undoubtedly earthquake proof, nothing else was said.

If you can enlarge this, you will see that the first car behind the dozer is a "Universal Pictures" car.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 02:54:36 PM »
This is Tom and his favorite dog, Prince. Prince was a good hunting companion, but I heard he wasn't that great while Tom was fishing. The
story was told that the first time Tom took him fishing, when the first fish was hooked, Prince tried to go in and retrieve it. Tom couldn't
very well get mad at him, as that is what he had been trained to do while hunting. This was probably taken in the early 30's.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »
That's a great picture to hang on a wall.  Nothing like a man and his dog.  Thanks.  :clap:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »
I am just thrilled with this whole thread of history.  I think it so important that these moments are not lost to us today.  Thanks Jeff and all the others who have contributed.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »
I am just thrilled with this whole thread of history.  I think it so important that these moments are not lost to us today.  Thanks Jeff and all the others who have contributed.
[/quote

Thank's Jeff, Creek, Hawk, and beldingi for your contributions! :clap: Please keep it going!

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »

Here's one of Prince in action. They may be hunting in an area that is now under water (Crowley). I doubt that my G'ma went out there with them, so this was undoubtedly taken by a hunting partner, a pretty good photographer to compose this.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »

It wasn't always work for Prince. These pups are the product of a relationship with another of Tom's dogs, Lady. I don't have a picture of Lady, but judging by the pups, she was probably pretty good looking. 

That's my mom holding all of them, she's pretty good looking too.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »

I went out a few years ago, and found the spot where this picture was taken, by lining up landmarks in the background. I even think I found the fence, still there. Tom is out by the Benton Crossing Road, although, when this picture was taken, it was the old road,not the one you drive on today.  If you look at a map of the Crowley Lake area, you can see where the old road came in from Benton, and crossed the Owens River right about where Leighton Springs is....once again, use your imagination....you can, on a good map, see the Benton Road go down toward the Lake, then it disappears under the Lake, then continues on the other side. There are a few alkali lakes out there, that's where I figure he was hunting. On today's road, he's right about where the third cattle guard from Hwy. 395 is.

It looks like a hunting trip was a major undertaking in those days, and probably took quite a while. Just look at all the stuff they drug out there.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
That is a great picture!! :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »
Have to agree with Gary that is a great picture!  Hard to imagine there was no Crowley Lake back then as it's been there my whole life.

Some pictures I found that might be of interest.  One of Crooked Creek from 1904 where it enters Crowley Lake today.  Second photo  is at Long Valley dam site from 1906.

Crooked Creek 1904

Long Valley Dam Site 1906
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
Very crooked creek. Name fits it perfect. Thanks   :lol2:

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 09:43:03 PM »

This had to be taken in 1931, maybe '32. The new store and cafe building are finished, the road has been widened, but not paved yet. When the picture is enlarged, I can recognize my Mom, Tom and Hazel, Prince and what is probably one of the pups, grown up..... looks like it may have been a promotional picture for the new building.

If you look right below the roof of the gas station, you'll see another roofline. That was a boarding house for employees, no idea when it was removed. Also note the power poles with the double uprights...they look the same today. This is the major line that comes up the hill from Bishop, you can follow it all the way up the highway. I'm under the impression that these were part of the system that Hans Lof was hired to patrol.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 06:26:11 AM »
Incredible thread folks, thanks to all!
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 08:33:53 PM »

This may just look like a repeat photo, but there's a reason for it. Notice the white building to the left of the Lodge. Soon after Prohibition was repealed, my Grandmother decided to have a bar at Tom's Place, always the business woman. But, she refused to have a bar on the same side of the street as her cafe, so she had it built across the street...always the proper lady.... that white building has "Store" written on the side, this picture was taken after the Berner family bought the place from my G'ma.

Soon after the Berner family purchased Tom's Place (1945), they moved the bar into the old store space in the main building Tom built, and moved the store into the bar building across the street. I guess they didn't have the same feelings of the bar being near the cafe as Hazel. Then they ended up moving the whole building from across the street (year unknown), picking it up and rotating it 180 degrees, then sliding it in to the spot where the current store sits today. They added a false front to the store building so it would match the rest of the facade on the main building.

Something else to take notice of in this picture.... that taller structure to the right of the Lodge (you can see the corner of it) is the water tower that caught fire, igniting the Lodge, in 1947. A water heater, as well as some washing machines, were inside that tower, on the ground floor. The water heater caught fire, igniting the tower, Lodge, and everything else. The tower eventually collapsed, extinguishing a good part of the fire.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:37:23 PM by Creek Dude »