Author Topic: Pics from Scout  (Read 46032 times)

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pics from Scout
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »

A few years ago a couple brought this in to Tom's Place for me to see (that was one of the advantages of working there), it had been saved by her father from when he had picked it up when it was new. I'm not sure about the date, but I think it's probably early 30's. I had a local complain about it, he said all of the mileages were wrong...I had to remind him that all of the road systems were different 80 years ago, and that they were accurate then.

Nice fish, huh?
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »
Great stuff. I didn't know the Sierras had King Salmon. That's a FISH!!!!!!   Did it say where it was caught?   

Sierraslam

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »
I have 2 t-shirts with that picture on it. I think they still sell them at Toms.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 02:40:53 PM »
I have no idea as to what kind of fish that is, or where it was caught. Since it was a brochure, there were no notes on the back from my G'ma, something I find on most of the pictures in the collection. Your guess is as good as mine.
Look out for the next picture...I know the details on that one. Sending it now.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »

This was taken at Pyramid Lake, 1935 or '36. I showed it to my Uncle Bob (93 years old, still going strong) a couple of years ago, he was there fishing with Tom when this was taken, age 15. He told me they were trolling Ford Fenders (you old timers will recognize those...I do, although I've never tried one) from the row boat in the background.

He caught one, Tom caught the other. The photo has " 25 pound lake trout" written on the back...some of you may have a better idea. I'm not sure what Pyramid has in it, or had at that time.

Take a minute to check out Tom's outfit, it's almost as cool as the fish. Sorry about the quality, but this picture has been around for a while.

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 03:29:24 AM »
Creek Dude,
These pictures are incredible!  Thanks so much and keep them coming :clap:

Jackmac

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 05:25:14 AM »
Keep them coming Scout love this stuff.. You might have started a online beginning of your book
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent.  ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
Creek Dude,
These pictures are incredible!  Thanks so much and keep them coming :clap:
These are from Scout...not me.   I'm just the messenger...

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2013, 12:04:20 PM »
 :clap: to the both of you! Great reading!

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 07:22:45 AM »

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:33 AM »
I'll take a cabin for 2 with maid service for next Summer. No mosquitos ! When did SR 23 become US 395?
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »
this is such a fun and interesting thread.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »
Absolutely great thread.  :bowdown:

Sierraslam

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »
I love this thread! I can remember our big family trip down to Toms Place from our camp by the resort. We tent camped for 2 weeks, so this was the big outing of the trip! Chile size Please! I'll be back march 15th!

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »

These trout may not be a big as some of the previous pictures, but it's still a nice stringer of fish. This had to be in the late 20's, the old garage and gas pump are still there.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 09:42:34 PM »
That's what I call a Rack of fish!

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
Some decent size fish there.  Makes you wonder if they had a trout limit back then?

My memory is a little foggy for the 20's but I think the limit changed from 30 to 25 soon after WW2.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »
I couldn't find anything on line regarding the history of trout limits, so this will be my best guess. I remember hearing that the limit was 25 in Tom's "day". Somewhere my family has a little trophy that was presented to Tom by the Lions Club in Bishop, for "catching a limit of trout every day in the month of October, 1935, in the Owens River Gorge"...that's a lot of fish.
I have a copy of a 1906 fishing license, it states that the limit was 50.
I can remember when the limit was 15. I was just starting to fish, mid 1950's, and that seemed like such an unattainable number, I don't know if I ever made it or not. Sometime in the 60's they lowered it to ten fish, much easier for me...maybe I was getting better? In the late 80's or early 90's they put it down to today's five trout limit, with the promise that the fish would be of better quality...what do you think?
In many of the pictures I have of Tom and stringers of fish, I always wondered about the numbers shown, and if he was legal...then I realized that he was fishing with friends, and they were showing their whole catch.
If anybody out there knows more about this, enlighten all of us.

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »
he was fishing with friends, and they were showing their whole catch.

I noticed there was a person holding each end of the stringer,hands are visible.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2013, 06:12:53 AM »

This is Bob Brown, an early cabin owner near Tom's Place. His cabin was (and still is) down the hill from Tom's on the creek, built in the mid 1920's. My Grandfather's cabin, where I spent many childhood vacations, is right across the creek from Bob's.

The back of the photo says, "Owens River Trout."

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2013, 06:40:57 AM »
Hey, Tim, your avatar just took on new meaning for me.  You are the "chip off the old block".  :fishing3:

Great work you and Scout are putting in this thread.  Just wanted to say a personal thank you.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »
Cool photo's Scout!  And no...I don't believe the fish are any better now.  I do remember back in the 70's and 80's when the limit was 10 per person.  It only took a few trips before my Dad decided catching 40 fish a day (there were 4 of us) was not worth the hours of fish cleaning afterwards!  That pretty much sold him on the idea of catch and release unless we needed dinner!    :fishing3:
The creek is waiting...

Sierraslam

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
Back in the day day most of the trout was dried or smoked. Most of the trout i eat now is cooked fresh. i have dried trout on a line in the back country. Nothing beats fresh cooked.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »

This is the back of Bob Brown's cabin on Rock Creek...(he's the guy in the last picture). The cabin is still there, although it looks a little different today. The rock chimney is still a very evident identifier. As you can see, my G'ma put the names of the hunter (Leo Hill) and the hunting dog (Tom's dog Prince) on the front. Once again, this looks like the product of more than one hunter....I like to believe that Tom and his hunting and fishing buddies followed the law.

I am the proud owner of a couple of down pillows that my G'ma made from ducks and geese from hunts like this...they've been re-ticked a few times, but still really comfortable. My Uncle told me about a feather bed he slept in (on) while he stayed at Tom's place in the 30's...his description...."you couldn't just crawl into it, you had to stand back and run and jump into it".

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »
Wicked awesome stuff! Love the history and old pictures. The stories and pictures must be passed down or it dies. Please keep it coming. :chestbump:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.