Author Topic: Hunting with silencers  (Read 3148 times)

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
Hunting with silencers
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
Not to be confused with the current discussion about guns and tragic killings on Friday, what are your thoughts on this?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-wyoming-silencers-hunting-rifles-20121130,0,2356723.story

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting with silencers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »
Not in favor.

Not safe, considering the number of yahoos out there who shoot at anything they detect in the bush. You need to know if some bozo is shooting in your direction.

If you can't stalk your hunting prey well enough, practice your woodcraft.

If you are worried about your hearing, use ear protection. It works. I've still got better than average hearing after nearly 30 years of shooting military rifles and machine guns, plus 40+ years around jet engines.

Only one prey to hunt while using suppressors; the kind that shoots back if you miss.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 10:59:49 PM »
I hunt and I'm always willing to stand up for gun rights but there is no pont to silencers.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »
Last I heard there is Federal law regarding "silencers". I belive it is a NO. There is a difference between supression of muzzle flash and sound  (supressor) and a "silencer" . Sounds like the weed laws in that State versus Federal. It does not seem like a good idea to me to have a hunter out there shooting and I am unaware of him because he is using a "silencer".

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:30 AM »
If you look at the picture of the guns and read the article, rifles with the potential for high capacity magazines may be included.

So a guy in WY can shoot a wolf using a bushmaster with a 30 round clip, but wait if you act now we can throw in a silencer for hunting game of course, but wait there is more, act now and you can use night vision equipment.   But wait, if you subscribe to our magazine you will be among the first hunters next year to use a drone to spot your pray from the warmth of your car.  Why walk when can when you can watch it live on a 20" flat screen color monitor in your truck.  All that of $xx.99, act now we will throw in a free gift for you, an extra elk tag for the National Elk refuge next to Grand Teton national park. 

In all seriousness, I agree with OldSarge and Gary.
I use my 30-06 bolt action and it kicks like a mule and sounds like a cannon.
That is the way it should be "fair chase and fair shooting".  If I kill it, I eat it.  IMHO

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »
Good one ab-sn!

Iím not for it either.  I hunt but I was brought up when hunting your prey you take one shot for one kill.  If you cannot take down your prey in one shot, you need to practice more before the real hunt.

The only purpose of silencers is you can maybe get off more shoots without alarming your prey.  Just not sporting in my view!  Anyway, I want to be able to hear any hunter shooting if Iím in the area just for my safety.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »
Years ago, my cousin inherited Tom's old deer rifle..I'm not a hunter, I didn't need it. He told me that he bought a box of shells, went out to a local range and proceeded to sight it in, firing most of the box of shells. He went back and told his Dad, (my Uncle Bob, you'll hear more about him later), who proceeded to tell him " You probably just shot more rounds through that rifle than Tom did in the entire time he owned it. He'd go out hunting, see a deer, shoot it, and come home."

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »
HUH ?

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »
As far as I'm concerned the only people that use silencers are mafia hitmen....  In my long law enforcement career I only once arrested someone with a silencer on a gun and he was a hard core criminal..  Guns are supposed to make a big boom when you pull the trigger...