Author Topic: Huell Howser  (Read 7933 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Huell Howser
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
Don't know if ya'll have heard yet,  but we have lost Mr. Howser,  who passed today at the very young age of 67.  He had some really great shows,  is it true that he once did one up in the Rock Creek area?  Seems to me like he went up there maybe with DWP to measure the snowpack one time...either way,  sad day for fans of his shows...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Fredb

Re: Huell Howser
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
I would remember him in my travels thinking Huell was here or he did a show about this.
Especially Egg Nog from Broguiere's Dairy

Cheers Huell!

From a few months ago
http://www.sfbayareaobserver.com/2012/11/huell-howsers-final-show-didnt-work-out.html#.UOszXkyfYIk.email
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:34:07 PM by Fredb »

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
I LOVE THIS GUY!!!. I did not realize he was 67 years old. To me he looked as if he was in his early 50s. I Once saw a story he did no the BRISTLE CONE PINE FOREST. He was amazing!

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:38:39 PM »
Huell Howser was a brother! He was a US Marine !!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »
so sad.. his show took us so many places!     he is too young to be gone :(
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »
Sad day indeed

he will be missed

Fred
we took 10 bottles of eggnog and 3 gallons of chocolate milk from Broguiere's Dairy
to Montana this year for Christmas. We have Huell to thank for that find some 10 plus years ago.

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
Huel truely was Amaaaaaaaaaazing!!!!
Here is a link to a collection of all his Californias Gold shows.
http://thehowserproject.wordpress.com/

Fredb

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
I believe KCET is having a special tribute for him tonight at 5:30

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1vECS1aJ_IY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1vECS1aJ_IY&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:23:00 PM by Fredb »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
He was all over the Sierra.  Some of my favorites were the shows on Petroglyphs near Little Lake, Manzanar National Historic Site, Bishop and the Mule Days, several stories of Yosemite, hiked to Conness Glacier in 20 Lakes Basin, visited Lee Vining and Mono Lake and the Upside Down House, Devils Postpile, Hot Creek, and my favorite of all, Huell backpacked to Duck Lake for an early DFG air drop of rainbow trout!

He will be missed.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »
I loved his shows,, I always made sure to watch him every week. There are so many places in California I learned about because of him.. You couldn't ask for a better ambassador for the state..

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 06:38:59 PM »
I saw where someone had referred to Huel as the Patron Saint of California. I kind of like that.

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »
He truly is an ambassador to California! He represented it very well and loved California very much! He was originally from Tennessee but loved California very much as his own state.

Fredb

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »
As I watched tonights tribute to Mr Howser one thing came to my mind, that it's not the destination but the journey that matters in the end.

The Station is an illusion--It constantly outdistances us

THE STATION

By Robert J. Hastings

TUCKED AWAY in our subconscious minds is an idyllic vision in which we see ourselves
on a long journey that spans an entire continent. We're traveling by train and, from the
windows, we drink in the passing scenes of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at
crossings, of cattle grazing in distant pastures, of smoke pouring from power plants, of row
upon row upon row of cotton and corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of city skylines and
village halls.

But uppermost in our conscious minds is our final destination--for at a certain hour and on a
given day, our train will finally pull into the station with bells ringing, flags waving, and bands
playing. And once that day comes, so many wonderful dreams will come true. So restlessly, we
pace the aisles and count the miles, peering ahead, waiting, waiting, waiting for the station.

"Yes, when we reach the station, that will be it!" we promise ourselves. "When we're
eighteen. . . win that promotion. . . put the last kid through college. . . buy that 450SL
Mercedes-Benz. . . have a nest egg for retirement!"

From that day on we will all live happily ever after.

Sooner or later, however, we must realize there is no station in this life, no one earthly
place to arrive at once and for all. The journey is the joy. The station is an illusion--it
constantly outdistances us. Yesterday's a memory, tomorrow's a dream. Yesterday belongs to a
history, tomorrow belongs to God. Yesterday's a fading sunset, tomorrow's a faint sunrise. Only
today is there light enough to love and live.

So, gently close the door on yesterday and throw the key away. It isn't the burdens of today
that drive men mad, but rather regret over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and
fear are twin thieves who would rob us of today.

So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, swim more rivers, climb more
mountains, kiss more babies, count more stars. Laugh more and cry less. Go barefoot oftener.
Eat more ice cream. Ride more merry-go-rounds. Watch more sunsets. Life must be lived as we
go along. The station will come soon enough 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:20:40 PM by Fredb »

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
California should name a state park after Huell...He deserves the honor.

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 10:36:14 PM »
California should name a state park after Huell...He deserves the honor.
That is a great idea.  :twothumbs:

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:03:16 PM »
Huell taught us a lot about California and yet he was from Tennessee I think. He will be missed.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 11:10:50 PM »
Ambassador of tourism would be appropiate.

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:41 AM »
In case you missed the show on Huell, here is a link:

http://www.kcet.org/shows/socal_connected/

He will be missed,..., but has left us with tons of great memories.

Chapman University provides access to all of his shows.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »
We loved his shows and had fun visiting many new places that he shared on California's Gold.  He will be missed.
The creek is waiting...

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »
One of Huell's non-Sierra trips was to Stan's Donuts in Westwood.  He visited so many times over the years that Stan named Huell's favorite donut a "Huell".

My wife brought me two of them after her conference at UCLA last week and they were absolutely amazing.

That donut may have just become my favorite Sierra breakfast (albeit only after we but a dozen and transport them to Rock Creek this year).

The donut is a chocolate covered and peanut butter filled creation with chocolate chips sprinkled on the top.

Be forewarned,..., each one will add one pound to your body weight.

As Huell would say:  they are "Amazing".