Author Topic: Sept. '12 GTW  (Read 6228 times)

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Sept. '12 GTW
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »
Since I'm re-introducing myself to this great forum, I thought I'd post this trip from early Sept.   It started by several long flight delays which led to  being way behind schedule. We had a friend waiting up Bishop Canyon in a campsite we reserved, which we didn't make until the next morning.  I was so out of it putting the pedal to the medal from Vegas, I missed the turn to head out over Westgard and ended up going over Montgomery Pass. We were rewarded by seeing the band of horses with the morning light on Montgomery Peak behind them. The 'yote was somehow spotted out in the brush  while  cruising at 70 . I think the Sierras makes me hyper-aware. I turn into a dull clutz soon as  we hit the east coast again. We met my good friend, Richard who drove up from Poway, and fished North Lake before heading to Horseshoe Meadows to finish a night of acclimatizing. By the time we ate dinner, I had been up for 40 hrs., but I'd hammered the fish on my favorite soft hackle emerger, so it was well  worth it!!!!! :fishing3:

The top of Cottonwood Pass looking out towards the Kaweahs

Golden Trout Creek in Big Whitney Meadow. As we were after pure strain Goldens this was our first destination to fish. We did well.... We camped there the first night before continuing on to Little Whitney. The sunset rewarded us with some great lenticulars.  I love 'em.

We followed Golden Trout Creek to the junction with Volcano Creek, which at this time of a dry year was parched! We dropped down  to the natural travertine bridges  as the creek plummets down to the Kern. At this point we headed back uphill and headed towards the South Fork of the Kern out through Bullfrog Meadow. Our stay at Little Whitney was a blast. We had a great dinner at the old camp, and a great laugh at the seat in the privy. The reading material/ tissue paper was not the usual Sears catalog, it was a magazine from the American Communist Party. You had a choice of reading conspiracy theory or making a political comment by tearing out a page and.... :lol2:   I got a goldie dry fly double!!!!!   
We camped and fished on the South Fork with the usual great success before heading back over Trail Pass. A wonderful 5 day semi-loop. Saw marmot and mulies and cat tracks, but no bear. We finished the trip with some more Bishop Creek and one of my favorite places of all time- Rush Creek where it flows into Silver with Carson Peak looming above. We drove back over Westgard looking down on the green patch that's Deep Springs College  and said good-bye to my favorite place in the world til next year. Well, this year, now!   Can't wait. :hiking2: :tent: :fishing3:    Thanks for looking and letting me share my love for the Sierras with like minded folks.

Charlie

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Sept. '12 GTW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
Thatís a really great trip you had Charlie!  Wildlife all over the place, great fly-fishing for golden trout with a rare golden double on dry flies!  Doesnít get much better than that!    :twothumbs:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
Thanks for the report and pictures. It looks like you had a great trip. I'm in the planning stages of a trip like this for this summer except we are thinking about dropping down to the Kern and it's lakes then on to the Little Kern and exit from there.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:40:39 PM »
Great report and pictures. Looks like you had a good trip. Thanks for posting.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:45:02 PM »
That'd be a great trip, Gary.  I wanted to get to Funston Meadows, but I think I was the only one in shape enough for the 4,000 foot  climb back up. The bridge/falls where we took the pic is only a mile and change  trailwise from the Kern (23 miles in from Horseshoe Meadows) , but very steep the whole way down.   Had to do a loop, so no west exit, either. We've takled about going into the Little Kern and the Main from Lewis Camp.  Love to do that east-west traverse trip! Have fun planning and executing it.

Charlie

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:53:50 PM »
Charley,
Trying to figure the logistics to and from the trailheads is the hard part. Our group is too big for one car but I think we finally got it covered. We should have no problem picking up three heritage trout on the one trip.

stanbery

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
Charlie

Very nice trip report and Picture, Richard Cullip is a joy to fish with as well.

Jon

PS I am pretty sure if you posted on of your steelhaed fishing reports everyone would like it as well.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:42 PM »
Thanks for throwing in a little of Silver Lake pics, too, Charlie.  I've only dreamed of making it to the other places you and many others have been and with things going the way they are this year it may just remain a dream, but seeing your pictures and post I can live the dream vicariously.  Great double hook up on those wonderful golden.  Wow!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
You stayed at the Little Whitney cow camp right Charlie?  Did you spend any time at Tunnel Meadows?  I was wondering if the old structures were still there?  There was an old water tower, some cabins and an air strip.  Also remember the tunnel that connected Golden Trout Creek and the South Fork Kern River, where the name came from.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
WS, here's some more pics including the tower near the Tunnel Jct., the "ditch", some cow camp pics, and the top of Trail pass.  There's still a cabin, corrals and an airstrip that appears to be unused.
What a fiasco the digging of that tunnel was. The water battles have been going on longer than people think. I'll see if I can find a link to tell people  the history of the tunnel project. If you know of one please put it up.  As you can see, we ate at the cowboy table just outside the cookshack window. It was the best dinner of 2012.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:01:06 PM by charlie »

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »
Thanks for the additional pictures Charlie.  :chestbump:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 07:30:44 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!  The water tower has taken a beating over the years but the cabins look the same.  Little bit on the "Tunnels Project".

The Tunnels project happened in the 1880ís when some local ranchers hatched a plan to blast a tunnel between the two streams and divert water from Golden Trout Creek into South Fork to irrigate the meadows lower down the river.  Golden Trout Creek and the South Fork of the Kern River come within a few hundred feet of each other near a trail junction north of the guard station.  But the tunnel was plagued by cave-ins, and so it was converted into an open cut about 1891.  That too had cave-in problems, and the project was abandoned about 1899 when the latest attempt to rebuild it failed due to lawsuits.

Sometimes we are are own worst enemies!