Author Topic: Backpacker resupply at Rock Creek Lake Resort?  (Read 5323 times)

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Backpacker resupply at Rock Creek Lake Resort?
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »
I'm in the early stages of planning a summer trip that will have me at Mosquito Flat mid trip. Since I live on the opposite side of the mountains I don't know the area too well,I was last there I think in 01.

Will I be able to get?

Shower
Wash clothes

I don't do the typical backpacker food,here's my list.
(Gallo chub salami,ritz crackers,beef jerky,Knorr chicken rice mix,snickers,ramen noodles,trail mix,mac N cheese,Crystal Light punch mix)

Or maybe I need to mail a package ahead,do they offer that service?

Edit: I will have my dog with me.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:33:51 PM by Big Ed »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Backpacker resupply at Rock Creek Lake Resort?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »
Hey Big Ed, welcome to the Board!  To answer your questions:

There are showers available at Rock Creek Lakes Resort.  No washer or dryer to my knowledge.  No resupply services are offered.  If you let us know where you’re going this summer, we could let you know where the resupply points are if you’re not aware!  I mostly have family or friends meet up with me for resupply at a set upon date and time.

Nice looking dog!  Have a great trip!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
I don't know for sure but it might be worth calling the packers to see if they would accept and hold a package for a fee.

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:47:50 PM »
If you let us know where you’re going this summer, we could let you know where the resupply points are if you’re not aware! 

I mostly have family or friends meet up with me for resupply at a set upon date and time.

I'm starting at Florence Lake,going over Seldon Pass,Mono Pass,Morgan Pass,Pine Creek Pass and then back into Florence. havn't settled on a number of days yet,but will probably be 11-14.

I had my wife bring the second weeks supplies once,but the only reasonable place on this trip is on the opposite side of the mountains. Seems a small market would have "something" edible I could purchase.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
My  kind of " backpacker" although I prefer Wild Turkey 101.  :chestbump:

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
I prefer Wild Turkey 101.  :chestbump:

Was one of my favorites way back when,I quit drinking in 1994.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
Sounds like a great trip planned!  I loved the view of Maria Lake once you go over Selden Pass, picture perfect!  If you’re a fisherman, you love the large trout out of Sallie Keys Lakes, Heart Lake and Marie Lake.   Take the ferry across Florence Lake and save yourself some miles, and they take dogs too.

Selden Pass

As for resupply, you will be passing Muir Trail Ranch, but too early and in your trip to do any good for you.  Muir Trail Ranch has cabins, tents, hot springs and real food!  Maybe next time.  You will be passing close to Lake Edison outlet, so could take the ferry to Vermilion Valley Resort as they do resupply.  They also have motel rooms, trailers with full bathrooms.  Also have a restaurant with good steaks and such.

For the Rock Creek area, Rock Creek Lakes Resort has a small store with basic food items.  Rock Creek Lodge down the road also has a small store.  Resupply Using Pack-stock is an alternative way to have your food carried in by one of the pack stations.  Known as a "dunnage drop" by the packers, this would simplify your resupply problems but is expensive for 1 person (and a dog).  Best bet is what Gary C. suggested, call or e-mail Rock Creek Pack Station and see if they will accept a resupply bucket from you.  They are only about a mile down from Mosquito Flats so pretty convenient for you.  Here is the link.  Good luck!

http://rockcreekpackstation.com/
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
As far as I know Muir Trail Ranch rents out the entire ranch on a weekly basis and does not service walk ins except to pick up their resupply bucket. I've been by there several times and they have a sign asking you to stay on the public trail and not disturb their guests,some hikers have described them as kinda rude. It's all to protect the privacy of the people that payed for a week long get away.

I've also done trips in and out of Lake Edison. I've been over 31 passes including Seldon(both directions),Piute(Eastbound only),Muir(both directions),Hell For Sure(Westbound twice),Italy(Eastbound),Morgan(Northbound),Silver(Southbound) and Goodale(Northbound). One of the reasons for this trip is to do Mono and Pine Creek passes,I like the view on the passes and haven't been over those yet.

Since I will be coming off of Mono Pass,down to the junction and taking a right towards Morgan Pass it wouldn't make any sense not to go into Rock Creek Lake Resort,I will want A shower any way. It wouldn't make any sense to have pack animals bring me supplies for this reason either and it's pretty much in the middle of my trip too,perfect.

I like the idea of having the packers except a package,that way I would be sure of what I will have for the second leg of the journey. I plan on taking as many of the side trails as I can,Rose Lake,the recess lakes,Pioneer Lakes Basin,Merriam Lake,etc. That's why I'm allowing so much time.

Any other info you have will be appreciated.
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:38:07 PM by Big Ed »

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
From the Muir Trail Ranch website.

Many of you enjoyed the service that we inaugurated in early September of ’98 – the Short Stay. We offer a night’s stay in a tent or two nights minimum in a cabin, use of the magnificent enclosed hot spring baths, a dinner made of REAL FOOD cooked by someone other than yourself, a hearty breakfast and a sack lunch for the trail. One hiker wrote to us after completing his JMT hike, saying that “the last seven days were the BEST” after having recharged at the ranch. We offer Short Stays at various times of the season. Contact us to see what dates are available, since they change as the season progresses.

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 01:18:30 PM »
Got this email from the resort.

Hi Ed,
We have most of what you're looking for...
Showers are open every day from 7am-7pm, however there are no laundry facilities in the canyon.
We have a store selling most of the items you mentioned except the Gallo chub and Knorr Rice mix.  We have other rice mixes and crackers...but not Ritz, specifically.
You are welcome to ship what you need to our business address and we will hold it for you.

The UPS/FedEx address is:
   Rock Creek Lakes Resort 
   1 Upper Rock Creek Road    or our USPS address:PO Box 727
   Bishop CA 93514                                                Bishop, CA 93515

We have a small cafe serving lunch everyday till 3 pm.
Let me know if you have any other questions..
Sue

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »
That’s great news Big Ed!  Thought maybe the Rock Creek Pack Station might do it but did not think the Resort itself would do it.  Guess it never hurts to ask.  Sue also makes some of the best pies in the Eastern Sierra, so may want to pick up a slice or two! :pie:

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the pies. I did a trip in 07,resupplied at Vermillion Valley Resort(Lake Edison) and got a slice of pie. Really a great treat on a trip like that.

I thought about asking the resort once they opened,it was someone on another forum that suggested I contact them now via their website. So I don't get all the credit.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »
Can't get much better than that kind of service. And pie. :pie2: :clap:

Charlie

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 12:01:41 AM »
Who needs laundry facilities? Ship your resupply in a 5 gallon bucket and do your laundry in the bucket with a shot of shampoo while you shower.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »
Sounds like you will have everything you  "need". We will be looking for your report.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »
You can do laundry in Crowley, but you'd have to find a way down there and back to the trailhead...probably wouldn't be too hard to do.

Yeah, the folks at the resort are pretty cool.  They don't make various services "official," but if you request something like this they'll do most anything for folks...good people.
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
Who needs laundry facilities? Ship your resupply in a 5 gallon bucket and do your laundry in the bucket with a shot of shampoo while you shower.

That's one of the options I've been considering. Another one is to include a change of clothes in a resupply package. Sue said she would send the package back to my house,I could put the dirty clothes in there.