Author Topic: Castaic bassing  (Read 4208 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Castaic bassing
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »
For all you fools who are sitting around looking at that opening day ticker :clap: :lol2: :lol2: :rotflmao: for some of us there is never a closing day for fishing.  Nice winter day of fishing at Castaic.

Get out and fish,  don't just think about it!  If you have to,  think about this:   :pie2:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Castaic bassing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »
Looks peaceful, Terry.  Nice  largie. 

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »
Nice fish Terry :twothumbs:

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »
Nice pics Terry. Are they starting their move at all to the points (secondaries) or still out in the deep structure? Your pictures gave the the itch, of course, my boat is locked down to Casitas (was at Piru until last year). Busy this month but going to get out next month for some spring bassin'. Can't wait.
"Don't get no better than this!"

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
Bass are starting to pick up at Diamond Valley Lake where I do my winter Bass fishing!  Thanks for the report Terry!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Bestfrets

• Junior Creeker
  • Saugus,CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »
I live real close to Castaic, but never fish there, maybe I should start :fishing3:

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:01:13 PM »
Some people have all the luck, nice catch.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:11:35 PM »
Bass are moving a little,  still seem to be on main lake and secondary points.  Prolly won't see a major move into backs of coves for another month or so...

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »
Bass are moving a little,  still seem to be on main lake and secondary points.  Prolly won't see a major move into backs of coves for another month or so...

That's what I was thinking. We haven't seen many warm days yet to bring them shallow. Personally, I like them stacked on the secondaries. This is the one time of the year they are mostly together in one place on the lakes. Depending how this year goes at Casitas, I may switch to Castaic next year. I think with Castiac a person has a few choices where he can bring a boat instead of locked into one lake all the time.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 06:26:36 AM »
Depending how this year goes at Casitas, I may switch to Castaic next year. I think with Castiac a person has a few choices where he can bring a boat instead of locked into one lake all the time.

Been gone from L.A. 20 odd yrs.  What's this locked into lakes idea?
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »

Been gone from L.A. 20 odd yrs.  What's this locked into lakes idea?
[/quote]

There has been an awareness of quagla (hope that's spelled right) mussel outbreak in local waters. This mussel grows at an enormously fast rate and can clog reservoir equipment. When boats go from lake to lake with little awareness the mussel can be transferred. Most lakes are beginning to inspect, and even lock-down, boats before they are allowed access to their waters. Some are more strict than others. Casitas supplies a cable and lock (for a fee) to lock the boat to the trailer so the boat cannot be launched elsewhere. Then there is a 10 day quarantine before the boat is allowed on the lake. Some lakes, like Lake San Antonio, just requires that the boat be physically inspected by the owner and a signed release is provided. Piru offers a small cutable cable that can be removed before launching and this has to be re-applied before leaving the area. It's a real pain.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
Yeah it is epidemic. Zebra mussels; I though a thorough flush of the bilge and cooling system with a bleach solution kills them.   It's a few lazy people that spoil it for most?  But yes they are stealth hitchhikers.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »
Yeah,  the lakes are trying to keep quagga and zebra mussels outta their water.  Similar to the New Zealand mud snail,  I think that is one of the reason Alpers had to move his stocking operation.  He wasn't allowed to stock anymore from his Owens River water since it had the snails.  In CA,  some lakes have taken a common sense approach,  some have not.  The Casitas water board (who coincidentally have a member who is also with the Sierra club)  voted a few years ago to shut the lake down to outside boats.  If you wanna fish it with your boat,  they inspect it,  make sure it is clean and dry,  and then you must leave in on lake property.  Works for the locals,  but not if you wanna fish other waters.  Some other lakes have used a more common sense approach,  they inspect your boat,  make sure it is clean and dry,  then put a cable on the toungue of the boat.  You can then take it to other lakes which accept your tags.  Castaic,  Piru,  Pyramid,  Silverwood,  and Perris are all on the same tagging system...and no,  this is not just a CA thing,  it is prolly coming to a lake near you.  Nobody wants these invasive species in their lake.  They are already in the entire Colorado River system all the way to Mexico,  as well as several lakes in the San Diego area. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:20:03 AM by Topwater Terry »

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »
I am not sure if bleach kills them,  but there are a couple of chemicals that do,  including a livewell additive meant to help out the bass until weigh in time.