Author Topic: We need some big storms.  (Read 8893 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
We need some big storms.
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »
The Sierras started the winter off with some decent storms but now its the middle of February and its been  few weeks since any snow has hit the area..Where I live we have had less than 4 inches of rain. I got a gut feeling that there won't be any more massive storms to dump tons of snow in the Sierras.... I think were looking at another low water year come summer and fall..

Sierraslam

Re: We need some big storms.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:52:54 AM »
Miracle March! I hope. I still have a day or  2 of skiing to do over the Blake Jones Trout Derby weekend. We need it for sure.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »
i ran up to the 'other lake',, (lake tahoe) on tuesday.. and the snowpack there sucks.. looks like may, not feb   :(
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
Think Positive ...  SNOW SNOW SNOW  :shoveling: :cold: :freezing: :shoveling:
The Creek is Waiting...

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:04:28 PM »
The Sierras started the winter off with some decent storms but now its the middle of February and its been  few weeks since any snow has hit the area..Where I live we have had less than 4 inches of rain. I got a gut feeling that there won't be any more massive storms to dump tons of snow in the Sierras.... I think were looking at another low water year come summer and fall..

Wait,there's more than one Sierra now?

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:15:52 PM »
If no more big storms come I wonder what Lake Crowley will look like this summer and fall... Last year locals called it a big mud hole with islands never seen before above water.. I know the Upper Owens on my two October trips were the lowest I had ever seen it...

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »
Looks like the Sierras will get maybe two feet or more of snow this week. Every little bit helps!

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »
I backpacked into the confluence of Volcano and Golden Trout Creeks last Sept. but there was no confluence. Volcano Creek was a dry wash!  One of my favorite spots to fish- where Rush Creek comes into Silver Lake was low and choked with weeds. I had to tube out into the middle and fish deep. Never had to do that before....   I recognized the picture of Grant Lake that WS put up, as I had driven by it. Having lived down canyon and seen it  umpteen times, I had never seen it like that!  Crowley the same. I'm so glad to hear there's more snow on its way.  :clap: :clap: :clap:   

Charlie

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »
Got snow?   :cold:   A few feet of new snow is expected in Mammoth this week!
The creek is waiting...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »
 :clap:  The power of positive thinking  :woot2:
The Creek is Waiting...

Fredb

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 06:55:21 AM »

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
Latest report I heard is overall Sierra Snowpack is at 66%.  Not great,  but way better than last year.  Maybe this next week will help out a bit...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/prod ... OT_SWC.pdf

Here's the graph.  Looking worse in the southern end. 

Charlie

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »
Remember we have had some heavy spring snowstorms in the last few years.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »
Here they come  :clap: :cold: :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

Fredb

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 07:34:22 AM »
From LA Daily News

Drying times for California demand water wisdom: Editorial
Posted:   04/16/2013 05:06:55 PM PDT
April 17, 2013 12:9 AM GMTUpdated:   04/16/2013 05:09:04 PM PDT

Along with being the leading expert on El Nino and all West Coast weather, climatologist William Patzert is always good with a quip for a reporter's weather story.

So take it with a grain of salt when he says that this year the cows are giving powdered milk.

It's funny, but actually much more serious than that.

This rainy season in Southern California (if it can even be called one) has been the fourth-driest in 135 years of record-keeping. This is becoming the new normal in Southern California and it requires more than just passing notice - but action from government, industry and individuals.

This is not just another ho-hum dry year. It's so bad that the Metropolitan Water District reports "California ended February on a low water supply note, with the state setting a new record for the driest January-February period in recorded history, dating back 90 years."

That heavy sprinkle the region saw Sunday or Monday, amounting to at most a quarter of an inch, is not going to make up the deficit. This is mid-April, and assuming a normal weather year, any hope of significantly more rainfall in Southern California is slim until next winter.

Since it's impossible to rely on groundwater here, Southern California imports almost all the water that matters. That means irrigating landscaping and household and industrial use.But drought in the rest of the West has severely reduced imported water sources: the snowpack in the Sierra Nevada and the flow in the Colorado River.

After an excellent start in the late fall and in December, the snowpack is so low that one Mammoth Lakes trout fishing guide is reporting to his clients that there will be "essentially no runoff" into the rivers and streams below high elevations in the Eastern Sierra. The Northern Sierra snowpack index registered only 2.2 inches of precipitation during the first two months of the year vs. the average 17.1 inches. The traditional late-spring flooding that occurs when it gets warm is simply not going to happen.

Dry times are not really news in the West, and here in Southern California with its Mediterranean climate. But what is new is the scale and scope. The climate is changing, making matters worse, even as the state's region grows.

Hand-wringing is not the only recourse for Southlanders. And it's certainly not a matter for despair. It's just a matter of facing facts.

Access to safe, clean water for drinking and cleaning and enough water for agriculture is a worldwide problem given population growth and urbanization, but one that is - at least for California - solvable.

The problem-solving for all of us begins at home. Connecticut-style lawns were never appropriate in Southern California. Now they're positively dangerous. Talk to your local nursery about xeriscaping options. Consider installing cisterns that can save the rain water that falls in your yard for your irrigation. Water scarcity just isn't news anymore. It's real, and here to stay. If Southern Californians want to stay too, they will have to learn to use water wisely.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »
Good article, Fred. 
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 12:18:18 PM »
with the way our climate is changing,  dryer weather is just the norm.  Even two years ago,  we had record snowfall,  but the water content was only the 3rd highest.  The snow is dryer,  the runoff is faster,  and there is still a big ole ocean out there where we could be getting our water from :lightning:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 12:21:16 PM »
or course,  I am always fascinated when my neighbors automatic sprinklers go on...during rain storms...we might take a lil clue from Phoenix,  they rarely have water shortages in the middle of that desert.  Many people over there have yucca type plants around their houses,  along with field turf or pea gravel instead of a lawn...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »
Tell the DWP about the ocean at their front door as they are still screwing with Inyo/Mono county with some of their recent BS about the water up there.. They want to reduce water going into the dry lake and reduce water for the farmers.....

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
The climatic change that we are in is not just a result of our growth or our disregard for our environment but a cycle. sure their are a lot of things we can do but we are in a cycle that we can't prevent. Our Government doesn't get it (I agree R96). Our ocean level is rising due to the glaciers melting, our beachfront land will be affected so why can't we harness that additional water and use it? Cactus and gravel in my yard never! I have spent years planting and gardening it. I use micro sprinklers in my planters to decrease waste and combat clay buildup. I keep everything aerated.Our neighbors wonder at the beauty of my landscape and I give them advise on how to do it, yet I see the runoff everyday from their sprinklers. TT I agree seeing peoples sprinklers going during a rainy day or even the day after, or everyday during the late autumn and winter months is part of our problem. I go to visit my daughter and her family up in LA and the trash bins in their Condo complex don't include Recycle containers everything goes into one bin. My son in law says that LA has a system to separate it? How much wasted money does that cost? About two years ago KCAL 9 did an investigation on the LADWP finding excess overtime employees going to strip bars, drinking hanging out at home during business hours because they were overstaffed, because they are union employees nothing ever became of it.  The problem is nobody cares and won't until it's to late. I hope that our government and our people will someday realize what we are creating by doing nothing. My little world down here by the beach is my escape from the reality I see when I leave it. I do my part and try to help others, and hope that when I take those precious trips up to God"s Country that there will still be wildflowers and grass in the Meadows and the sound of rushing water in the creeks. I cut my water bill down 20% eight years ago yet still will be affected when they increase water rates again. At least I have the system to handle the restrictions that will come as I've been down this road before. I just hope that everyone will get what's really happening before LADWP, and other water districts raise prices and create restrictions to pay for poor management within.

Sorry if anyone feels that I went off, I just care about our resourses and see the waste and ignorance around me.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »
Roy,  MWD (that's right ladies and gentlemen,  there is more than one controversial water and power company)  already is paying the farmers down in the Blythe area NOT to farm.  They are letting whatever water they would use in the farm go to MWD,  and getting paid more than they would if they were planting crops.  One thing to remember,  sometimes it sounds like all of L.A. is bad,  or at least that is how some people make it sound.  Not the citizens fault that DWP is all screwed up.  You know,  DWP actually had some kind of a big luncheon for their big wigs a few years ago.  Nothing wrong with that,  but the main course was FILLET MIGNON AND LOBSTER!!  A huge waste of money,  again,  not the rate payers fault.  My dad and his crew used to make fresh water out of salt water in the Navy,  because they had to.  Until we have to,  we won't do it,  we'll just keep sucking the water outta the Sierras.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
So what's the final verdict on this year's snowfall?  I heard it was better than last year, but still not great.  Hopefully the lake and stream levels will be decent by the time I go there in July/August. 

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »
Better than last year,,, maybe by one inch.... Summer and fall is going to very low dismal water levels.....