Author Topic: Trailer Camping  (Read 3832 times)

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
Trailer Camping
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
Hi everyone! I've been going to Rock Creek since i was 3 with my family and we've always stayed in a tent. I didn't expected to have a trailer anytime soon, so I never paid attention to the trailer life up there. The opportunity came up and now I have a 99 f250 SD extended cab long bed and a 29ft alpenlite 5th wheel. We like camping towards the middle of the mountain. I think I should have no problem getting into iris meadow, but what do you think my chances are of fitting into big meadow? I was also hoping you guys could start a collection of trailer tips for me because I'm completely new to it. Places to fill up and dump? Propane if i run out? The rules on running a generator? Common courtesies? And anything else you think will help :clap: Thanks

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Trailer Camping
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »
The trailer life is nice.  I think the family will like it better, probably a lot better!  I love staying at Big Meadows, most of the sites are on the creek and camp sites are large and well shaded.  You will have no trouble fitting your trailer and truck at Big Meadows.  Negative is there are only 11 sites at Big Meadow.

You didn’t mention what dates you’re going up so hard to say if you will have problems finding a spot.  July and August are the busiest months and Big Meadows is first come first served.

Some rules to live by.

•   Follow the rules:     Including slowing down on campground roads!
•   Pets:         Pick up after your pets.  Stop excessive barking or howling, use a leash.  I love dogs but not everybody is a pet lover.
•   Parking your trailer:   Stay on your side of your campsite, don’t set your awnings or slide-outs encroaching on your neighbor’s site.
•   Late arrivals:      Attempt some degree of stealth behavior, your neighbor’s may be sleeping or trying too.
•   Be tidy:         Pick up your trash and beer cans and put them into the trash.
•   Quiet Time:      Usually from 10 pm to 7 am is quiet time, sometimes earlier.  Get with the campground host on the quiet hours.  Keep voices and music down.  Most campers go camping to get away from noise.
•   Generators:      If you need to charge the batteries, do it during the daytime hours.  When a generator kicks on during the night, it sounds like a plane taking off for close-by tent campers.  Be respectful to other campers.

A dump station is down the hill across from French Camp.  For propane I always filled up my propane tanks at home before coming up.  The two 5 gal tanks last a long time for me so never had to refill up there.  I sure other members will chime in for you. :trailer:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
If you do need to fill propane tanks while on your trip, there used to be a station in the town of Crowley where we filled ours when we were camping there for three weeks once (had to move the trailer after two weeks). Can't say if it is still there because I have not needed to do this for many years. I have one tank on the trailer and one I bring as spare. I never get through the first one during the week worth of camping (and that is with running the heater at night). Of course, we do most of our cooking meals outside since we have an enclosed canopy for bad weather when needed. As wshawkins mentions, do be mindful of the noise...even during the day...if you don't have to make the noise, keep it down. I am one of those who retreat to the mountains for quite as well. Running the generator during the day is sometimes a necessity and warranted when the quite times are observed. My Honda generator is barley heard outside my campsite, but other brands may be louder. Have a great time and "Think Fish".
"Don't get no better than this!"

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »
The only problem with a RV or trailer in Iris Meadows is your restricted to sites 9-14 in the meadow area where there is zero shade or trees...

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »
Awesome! Thanks Guys!
@retired96 Yeah I was thinking the same thing about iris but I do really like the creek there :fishing4:
@wshawkins Thats great news, big meadows is also my favorite. I'll be going from June 17-27. Yeah I'm gonna risk it and go up there for a first come first serve spot. Its a monday so hopefully I get lucky. Two years ago we got the end spot in big meadow :woot2: that was a nice site.
@fshrsmn I know right where your talking. Now that you mention it, I remember seeing propane there. After hearing you guys though I dont expect to run out.
Thanks again everyone! But now I gotta wait for June to get here :mad:

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
Just a warning about the grade.  You may not notice it very much going up Rock Creek in a car or truck, but when towing there will be a significant notice.  We used to pull our 5th Wheel with a 99 F350, but after one trip up to the lake, that was it for us.  Just make sure your truck is ready to pull the grade, you will be going quite slow.  If Iris and Big Meadow don't work out, you can always try East Fork since you will almost be all the way up the grade. 
The creek is waiting...

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:45:25 AM »
@CreekGirl Thanks for the warning, I wasn't thinking about that. I definitely put a lot of thought into buying my truck. I tried to get a truck with the coveted ford 7.3L powerstroke diesel, but they were out of my price range. I got the next best thing with the 6.8L V10. I'm in the process of adding some upgrades to it as well. It already has the 4.30 towing gears and an aftermarket computer chip. I was just going to add a cold air intake and a bigger exhaust. From experience, do you or anyone else have any other suggestions on getting even more power? Or does that cover it?

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
The only caution I would offer regarding a 29 ft trailer in Big Meadow is that the turnaround at the end of the campground can be a little tight. I've seen a lot of people struggle to make the circle with big trailers. Hopefully they will have added some gravel to the road at the entrance so you won't feel like you're rock crawling.

Big Ed

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »
"Trailer camping"

Those two words contradict each other.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 05:53:48 PM »
Jumbo Shrimp, Military Intelligence,Large Diet Soda, and Trailer Camping.... all a mismatch that Vanna White would not post.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »
Don't have anything against Trailers or RV's although myself I'm a Tent Camper (Large Tent so I can sleep on an airbed, my back can't handle sleeping on the ground) Just ask that Trailer and RV campers don't turn on your generators after 3PM as I want to hear the aspen leaves, the pine trees and the birds, and please fill your water between meal times so campers can get the water they need when they need it. Simple considerations so that we can all enjoy the sounds and serenity that the mountains give us.

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:41:32 PM »
@Big Steve I agree, it does seems like a small turnaround. 5th wheels take turns pretty good though, so I might chance it.

@Big Ed and Packer I used to feel the exact same way...until I got the trailer. You'll come around :D

@Trev Dog I'm with you there, love the sounds of the sierras