Author Topic: Great fishing on first trip..  (Read 3479 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Great fishing on first trip..
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
Had a great drive up 395 last week, left home at 0500 and had virtually no traffic for the drive... I hate to say it but there is darn little snow on the Sierras.. There were many areas on the mountains where there was no snow at all...If we don't get some major storms in the near future the summer and fall will be grim as far as water in the creeks and rivers...

Was on the Lower Owens by 1000 hours, between Warm Springs and Line St. and using salmon eggs and worms caught 14, all were stockers and none were big enough to keep.. Quit fishing about 1600, checked into my room, had dinner and was sawing logs by 1900 hours..

For the next 6 days I fished the Owens from 5 Bridges down to Collins road and overall managed to catch about 100 fish using assorted baits...I tried various lures and never had one strike on any lure I used.... The weather was perfect, mid 60's to low 70's and virtually no wind...All the fish I caught were in the 10-12 inch range but I did manage to catch one that was 14 inches.

There was only a few other fishermen on the river even on the weekend, so I basically had the river to myself.. The river was running low and had no floating weeds or grass at all... For the entire trip I only lost 3 hooks.

On Sunday I caught a fish north of Line St. and was going to keep it to take home... When I cleaned the fish I saw that the meat was a bright yellow in color... I have never ever seen a trout with meat that was yellow in color. Will do some research to see if its safe to eat.....

Overall a great trip, lots of fish caught but nothing of any size to brag about.... No camera no pictures,, even if I had a camera I have no idea how to post photos..

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Great fishing on first trip..
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »
Thanks for the report, it sounds like you had a great trip.
Even though theres no pics, I can see it in my head and I know you had a good time.  :fishing3:
I got to get up there soon.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »
Thanks for the report, R96.  I've always been afraid of yellow snow, but a yellow flesh trout has got me even more worried.  Curious to see what you find out about that one.  Wonder if that has to do with the food supply. 

No pictures?  No problem.  We have our imagination.  Must have been wonderful having the your time on the river to yourself.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »
Now that sounds like a successful trip to the sierras! I wish I could have been there. I caught a stocker rainbow out of rock creek one time and it had yellow patches of meat. I wasn't going to eat it, but the guy in the site next to us said he was positive that it was good to eat. I ended up reluctantly eating it and I had no ill effects from it. That trout just had a few patches of yellow though, I don't know about the whole thing. :puzzled: I don't think i would eat it :)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
good work Roy!  You are truly a high sierra junkie,  it is in your blood!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
woohoo roy!

what a great trip for you to not have to deal with a ton of other folks.. and to catch all of those fish too,,,yea!!!! 

and what?   no freezing temps and gale force winds???     :)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
Glad you had a good trip R96.
Great start for the season.

I have seen the yellow tint before and it was in very cold water trout (winter catch with ice on the banks).
did not eat it and the dogs did not get sick eating it.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 06:51:10 AM »
Sad to hear about the snow, not sad to hear what a good trip you had.  Thanks for the report.  Never seen the yellow flesh.....

Charlie

eastcoastlurker

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
As a child in Washington state many years ago, I saw yellow flesh in a large brookie.  The grownups seemed to pay it no mind and deliciousness was not affected.  This was a wild fish in a clean mountain river.  Hatcheries can manipulate flesh color with food additives if they want but never heard of yellow in a hatchery fish.