Author Topic: Golden Rainbows  (Read 14491 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Rainbows
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 07:45:35 AM »
Check out this video on stocking at the Corona Lake with "Lightening Fish" last month.  That full rig can really deliver a huge load of fish each trip!

http://www.fishinglakes.com/2013/02/22/lightning-trout-sierra-bows-suuuperr-trooout-oh-my-sarl-corona-stocking-22113/
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »
I have often thought about going there (Corona Lake) but I have some tell me it's not worth it because it's a mud hole. I can't help but think there has to be some great fishing there due to the stocking. Most of these people say that the surroundings are horrible, but if you want something beautiful then go to the Sierras. Has anyone fished this lake? For me, it's much closer than going to the Sierras and I can do this in a single day. Also, is this lake one of the ones infected with the mussels that all the lakes are raising a stink about? If not then I can also bring my bass boat there.
"Don't get no better than this!"

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »
When the lake is low like it was last year, it was like a mud hole that’s for sure.  But appears to be about full according to the latest pictures and video’s I seen from Corona lake website. Their pulling some fatties out of that lake recently, with some bows up to 20 lbs.!

There also stocking the “Lightening Trout” sometime this week.  Should be fun and busy weekend for Corona Lake.  Fishing from a boat almost always fishes better than from shore, especially this lake.

Let us know how it went if you go.

Corona Lake Website
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&ved=0CHIQFjAS&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fishinglakes.com%2Flocations%2Fcorona-lake%2F&ei=SDxKUZaOEqSF2gWbvYDQBA&usg=AFQjCNEcwfNXOUah-_o29HXvXqnxXgOJ8A&sig2=JfuzcO0msl1zOw2-917xkw

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »
I just fished Corona lake yesterday from a boat. Its not the most beautiful lake, but if you want hard fighting trout its the spot. They "flushed" the lake out a couple months ago at the start of the trout season down here in socal. So the water is pretty clean/cold. I've fished here probably 10 times over the years. 

Yesterday I caught a 2.5lb rainbow, with BRIGHT salmon pink meat, and a 2.5lb Blue Cat to go along with it. They both faught like they weighed 10lb's or more, no joking.

This lake is HEAVILY stocked on thursdays usually, and fished as hard as convict on opening day through the weekend, so fishing gets much much slower as the week goes on.

Ive seen the lightning trout plenty of times in the lake. I've never seen a person catch them 1st hand, but I've seen plenty of Birds fishing them out. Most are over 3lb's, never seen anything smaller.

There's Bass, trout, cats, perch, carp, sturgeon, and in the summer time Talapia as well.

The amount and size of the fish planted in this lake is crazy. It's nothing like fishing in the Sierra, and for lack of a better term, it is a Mud Hole, with a crowd that isn't, well.... Clean cut, but the fishing can just be stellar.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:33:50 PM by Mcgee Dude »
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
From Scout...

This was taken at a DFG hatchery up by Hat Creek about 5 years ago. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the hatchery, it was between Hat Cr. and Shingletown. The signs next to this run siad they were "Albino Rainbows", they were all over 12" long, up to 18", very pretty to look at, but it would be weird to catch one. Kinda looks like a koi pond, there were a few in there that were definitely blue in color.
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 08:10:36 AM »
Guess they been around longer than I knew!  Wonder what waters they are stocking these trout at?