Author Topic: Memorial Day Weekend  (Read 7137 times)

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Memorial Day Weekend
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
I`ve been to the sierras in May and it wasn't crowded at all, but haven't ever gone on the holiday weekend. Whats it like on the holiday weekend.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Day Weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:41:58 PM »
Bill, never been up on Memorial Weekend, but We have done Labor Day Weekend. My advise would be to get up early Thursday, getting great sites for your family and extended family should be easy if your camping. I don't feel that the crowds will be the same as all the other holidays during the summer. Weather permiting you should have a great time. Take pictures and let us all know how "Laurie the fish killer does"
Tight lines!

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:44:06 AM »
I have been there many times on Memorial weekend. Sometimes it can be crowded, but it really depends on the weather conditions. Two years ago I took my Nephew and camped at site #60 (one of my favorite spots in East Fork). The Lake was still frozen except for a slight opening at the inlet and outlet. The road to the back side of the lake was snowed in and all those who ventured that way needed to walk in. The creek was great fishing though, but we needed to be careful due to the ice and snow on the banks. There were only a handful of people there in the entire campground. The morning we were due to leave we woke to three inches of snow. After packing we were stopped by the host and told that we could not leave until noon or after because of the black ice conditions on the road (as reported by the CHP after a couple accidents). Several years before that I was there that weekend and it was great weather but packed in the campground. I think they usually try to open the upper loop (East Fork) right before that weekend too. Chances are you would be able to find a great spot without a reservation IF you leave on the Thursday before. It may be a good idea to try and obtain a report on the area right before you leave. If you stay in East Fork and the lake is still frozen, try the swollen area (if there is one) of the slow moving area of the stream. You may need waders to get in there. Sometimes when the lake is frozen after during the slated stocking dates, they will dump the whole truck load in the stream and they stack-up in the slow moving area. Black/gray rooster tails. 
"Don't get no better than this!"

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:47:25 AM »
I made the mistake years ago when I went to Rock Creek not realizing it was going to be Memorial Day weekend...Too many people for my liking. People walking thru my campsite to get to the creek, Kids yelling and running thru my campsite... Never again....One of the benefits of being retired you can pass up the holiday weekends as you never have to work.

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:24:04 AM »
A Zoo!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:24:21 AM »
We working stiffs donít have much choice as those who are retired.  We have to take advantage of the holidays and days off that are given to us.  That being said, it can be a zoo as bj said.  Iíll be up Memorial weekend too but staying in the Bridgeport area for three reasons:  Less crowds, lakes are ice free and bigger fish.  Should be fun!

Iím still planning to head to Rock Creek later this year!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:22:54 AM »
We are up every year for Memorial day weekend.  Yes, it is busy especially in Bishop Creek and the Owens.  Depending on weather, Rock Creek lake may still be frozen, which is usually the case.  There is a parade in Bishop, so stay away from Bishop on Saturday as they will shut down 395 and detour traffic.  We usually head up on Thursday and return on Tuesday or Wednesday to avoid Memorial day traffic. 
The creek is waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »
With this dismal winter I think the lake will thaw earlier than usual...I read the snow pack report from the DWP a week ago and there is only one word to describe it    DISMAL.  Lake Crowley is only 10 feet higher than its low point last season and most locals called it a mudhole... I know the islands that were visible in Crowley last year were the first time they had ever been seen...I have no hope for any  rain/snow miracle in the next month or so...

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:29 AM »
I usually try and make it up that weekend, but this year I will be in Gatlinburg, Tenn. fly-fishing the Smokey Mountains. We really wanted to make it for club camp-out, and still may (staying in Mammoth for internet access), but the time is right in the middle of an important class. Have to see when the dates for Rocktober will fall this year... maybe my classes will work for that time as long as it's set far enough in advance. Jasper, our beagle,  has been begging to go. :doglick:
"Don't get no better than this!"

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »
I go up on all the holidays and have never had a problem. Yes at times there are more people but not always ... I was at Eastfork 2 years ago as well on Friday there were maybe 20 30 sites with people in them but by Saturday afternoon ( it snowed Friday night ) there were only 3 sites with campers .I believe every trip is what you make of it and I would rather be in the Sierras with the crowds camping ,fishing ,hiking and just enjoying the beauty  :camping: :fishing3: :hiking2: :pie: :doglick: :clap:

and yes we will be there this Memorial Day  :clap:  countdown has begun ...
The Creek is Waiting...

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for the insight.
I was up there last year on Mothers day weekend and rock creek lake was completely thawed and little Virginia had just a little bit of ice, although there was still alot of snow around the banks. This years snowfall is just barely above last years, so I think late May conditions should be similar. I think the weekend before Memorial day may be a better choice. Its amazing how different it can be from year to year. 2 years ago when we where up there at the end of June for the club get together, we drove up to the Virgina lakes and they had only been ice free for a couple of days. I am looking forward to my first FISH ON (trout), never get tired of that feeling.   :fishing3:

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »
Just and FYI...  I was there last memorial day weekend as well and it SNOWED ... not like the year before but there is a reason everyone says be prepared for anything  :tent:
The Creek is Waiting...

Jackmac

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:35 PM »
July 4th was nice and quiet the campers spent the day in Bishop waiting for fireworks the place was a ghost town 
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent.  ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
Just and FYI...  I was there last memorial day weekend as well and it SNOWED ... not like the year before but there is a reason everyone says be prepared for anything  :tent:

Yep woke up to snow on the ground the first night

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
Corey is right :lol2:,  one year can be completely differerent than the previous,  be prepared for anything.  Two years ago,  record snowpack,  last year,  record low snowpack.  That is why I always laugh at people wondering what the weather will be like in a few months...it is hard to tell what Sierra weather will be like next week!  Holidays can be a big crowded,  one of the reasons I am glad we moved the club event away from Labor Day.  Of course,  with Corey attending this year,  maybe we will make that another holiday :lol2: :clap: :rotflmao: :lol2:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
  Of course,  with Corey attending this year,  maybe we will make that another holiday :lol2: :clap: :rotflmao: :lol2:
[/quote]

:clap: :clap: IT's COREY DAY  :clap: :clap:

@ incrediblehuck : Great Picture !  Is that site 107 ?
The Creek is Waiting...

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »
  Of course,  with Corey attending this year,  maybe we will make that another holiday :lol2: :clap: :rotflmao: :lol2:

:clap: :clap: IT's COREY DAY  :clap: :clap:

@ incrediblehuck : Great Picture !  Is that site 107 ?

Very close!  108!

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 07:22:41 AM »
I camped under that tree ...
The Creek is Waiting...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »
Bill, Bishop is a freakin' zoo for sure with Mule Days, but I concur that if the weather is forecast as poor there will be less people.  With good weather forecast, everyone and their uncles will be there.  We have gone up to SLR the past 20 years the week before Memorial weekend, leaving for LA on Sunday to avoid the traffic coming home.  No matter what, Saturday and Sunday have always been slammed at the drive-to lakes. 

Nevertheless, although my trip is shortened this year and I'm staying until Monday to come home, I just can't say "NO" and am heading up on Thursday for SLR, crowds or not.  How can you not enjoy it anyway?  :fishing3:  :hiking2:  :campfire2:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
Saudust,  Thanks,  I forgot about Mule days, I am for sure not going on Memorial weekend now.

Corey and TWT,  I always bring warm clothing and rain gear, no matter what time of year, always better to be safe than sorry.