Author Topic: convict lake  (Read 4325 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
convict lake
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:18:26 AM »
neil  (underwear bomber) posted this on facebook... it was taken march 21... convict lake is now ice free....

not sure if this is the good,, or the bad... but its definitely not ugly:)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:22:01 AM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: convict lake
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:26:42 AM »
That's scary!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:32 AM »
more scary stuff....  check out the snow comparrison between 2011 and this year..   this article uses color coded satilite images from then and now.......    very easy to see the differences..

http://yubanet.com/regional/Snow-Depth-Comparison-2011-2013.php
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:06:20 PM »
As I said about the DWP snow pack report, this year is downright dismal for rain and snow.. We can expect some very low water levels this season...The upper Owens last fall was the lowest I have ever seen and expect the same this year.... Crowley will be another mud hole again this year.....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
Since a heavy snowfall could collapse the roof on my cabin, I tend to track the snow fairly closely. It is difficult to compare 2013 to 2011, as 2011 was one of the heaviest snow year's in history.  Then the following year, 2012, it was one of the driest.  Compared to 2012, the water content in Rock Creek Canyon is higher than last year...at least according to the California Snow Pack Reports.  Yes, there is not as much snow as in 2011.  But in 2012 on New Years day, there was no snow at my cabin and they were ice skating on Rock Creek Lake as the road was still open! Hopefully we can get some springs storms to bring up the water content in the snow.
The creek is waiting...

Sierraslam

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:14 AM »
I can remember walking on the ice at RCL in January of 2011 and there was no snow at all. Low waters can make the fishing better, but not good at all for the long term health of the environment.