Author Topic: Mosquito predictions  (Read 8654 times)

richmg

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Mosquito predictions
« on: April 08, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
Does anyone have any guesses about how the mosquito activity is likely to chart this summer in light of the small snow pack?  I'll probably be in the Rock Creek area towards the end of June this year, and the last time I was there so early in the summer (~2004), they were absolutely nightmarish all over Rock Creek but that might have been a pretty wet year and/or late thaw. 

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mosquito predictions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »
I must be lucky or the bugs don't like me as I don't have any problems with skeeters and I was in Rock Creek every month of the season... What I can't stand is those yellow bees at the end of the season, especially when I'm trying to cook dinner....

JEEP

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
I CAMP IN FRENCH CAMP AND DRINK LOTS OF BEER I DON'T THINK THE MOSQUITOS LIKE THE TASTE OF COORS LIGHT !!!!!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
If it's anything like last year, they will be there.  In mid-June the mosquitos were the thickest for me last season!  Have to try the Coors Light and see if the bites are down. :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:17:18 AM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:04:29 AM »
predicting the skeeters is like predicting the weather   :lol2: :lol2:  forget about them,  take some repellent,  and have a great time...in all honesty,  they should be bad early,  but not by mid summer as things will prolly be pretty dry...by the way,  welcome to the board!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:07:03 AM by Topwater Terry »
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Sierraslam

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »
With the early snow melt (what there is of it) I think the skeeters will be out early and be thick thru mid July. I did hear of some folks who got the West Nile or some type of serious illness from mosquito's in Yosemite last Summer. Deet a must all Summer long.

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »
When you say early...what is early?? May? We always do a late summer/fall trip to avoid the bugs cuz I have small kids (5 and 4) and the heavy deet is not good on them. However, this year I want to do an early trip, hopefully before they are too think. Little league has our weekends swamped until the weekend of 5/23........so for you vets of the creek what is it normally like then and any predictions for me? I know it is a hard one to guess, but my boys are too young to be where the only sanctuary for the skeeters is over 50% deet.........in my experience the bugs up there laugh at the herbal and non-deet repellant........unless anyone has some secrets

:fishing3:

Slowly switching from salt to sweet

Sierraslam

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »
last may Crowley was really bad. I just deal with it. By late August they'll be pretty much gone.

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »
Yea......we have reservations for the 3rd week in August....been doing the same weekend for the past 2 years and never saw a skeeter.........just wanted to do an early trip this year too.......might just give it a go anyway and see how they hold up

Just realized the dates I was looking at were over Memorial Day weekend.........so would probably be the weekend after anyway.
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
Never had a problem in late May up at SLR.  We always have hit it the week before Memorial Day weekend, though, so after that I haven't a clue, except that when the come out, they come out in force.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
Either way - a lot of or little mosquitoes, Paul and Saudust will agree with me.
a good cigar is a good repellant.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 06:54:24 AM »
10-4 to that, Salim.  I also think that along with Coors light other beverages might be helping.  Those bugs love my wife and just hate my blood.  We drink differently.

Jackmac

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:08 AM »
Two cigars one for mosquitoes and one for the bear.... works every time..Also never had a bad cigar they're all good...
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent.  ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »
Two cigars one for mosquitoes and one for the bear....

i didnt realize the bears smoked cigars:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »
LHR
that is how we kept the grizzly at bay in Yellowstone while we fished.
cigar smok to them is "fire" and they go the other way.

or if you are too stupid you could be a smoked meat meal :lol2:

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »
Salim, never new that the reason I never get bitten when I'm in the mountains was because of my cigars. Everyone else comes back bitten, even with the replant on. You learn something every day! Too bad the wife won't buy it.
Thank's TD

Jackmac

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »

i didnt realize the bears smoked cigars:)
He is cutting back... but not on his camp fire stories 
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent.  ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 07:07:24 AM »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »
 :rotflmao: LHR, where did you dig that up?  Priceless.   :lol2:

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »
Trev Dog
well then if the wife does not buy it you should have a day of fishing with Paul, Saudust and I.
we will make you smoke the cigars, and give you a drink to go along.  You cannot say no to friends right?  :lol2:

nice picture LHR

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 03:34:30 PM »
Yes I should Salim! Hopefully I can make it to one of the two Group Gatherings this summer or maybe our camp times will cross this summer. Nothing like throwing flies or spinners in a creek late in the afternoon while enjoying a cigar and a cold one. Get's you ready for dinner an evening around a campfire, another cigar, beverages, and stories. Once I figure out my trip times I'll PM you. I look forward to meeting you and hopefully the dogs.