Author Topic: Week at the creek  (Read 6041 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Week at the creek
« on: May 03, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »
Arrived at French Camp at 1030 last Wed. first one as usual... Set up camp, collected pine cones drove to the lake to find it totally thawed and virtually no snow anywhere..Went shooting for about 3 hours. Creek in French Camp was well stocked with the biggest fish I have ever seen stocked. I could see at least 100 fish across from my campsite..

Fished the lower Owens in Bishop at 5 Bridges on Thursday and caught 5 including a 17 inch brown...Found a local party spot along the river and picked up 292 beer cans that the GD pigs left behind. Made me sick the trash at the one spot. Went back to camp and saw 3 foreigners approach the creek with 7 poles to fish, told them season opens Saturday. They played dumb and I told them this is the 4th straight year I have told you the rules....So don't give me the BS you don't know when the season opens....

Friday spent the day shooting about 600 rounds, cleaned my guns in camp and just relaxed...

Opening day,, fished the Upper Owens, very few fishermen. water was dirty with weeds on every cast.. only caught 1 small rainbow and had no bites...When I left at 1030 there were only 6 people on the river.. Everyone I talked to said fishing sucked... Went back to camp and fished the creek across from my camp....I caught 8,, smallest was  1 1/2 pounds and caught 3 that were in the 2 1/2 to 3 pound range... I saw 4-5 fish that had to be in the 5 pound range...DFW really put in some big fish this year..Talked to numerous people that fished the lake and all said they never had a bite..

Sunday, fished the creek all day and caught about 10,, all large fish... I caught one fish about 2 pounds that I have never seen before... It had bright gold stripes all down the sides and bright gold gills around the mouth. It was bright pink meat when I cleaned it....   French Camp had 25 vacant sites Friday and Saturday night and by Sunday afternoon only about 20 people in the campground..

Monday, went back to the Owens and caught 2 fish in 4 hours.. Went shooting for about 3 hours...

Tuesday went to Bishop to visit one of my old radio car partners and didn't fish.

Overall fishing was rather slow in numbers but no complaints with the big fish I caught in the creek in French Camp.. Creek is running low,,, at East Fork and Palisade water was only about 4 inches deep.. Its gonna be really grim later on..

Weather was the warmest I have ever experienced for the opener,,, low to mid 70's and night were in the upper 30's to low 40's.

Stopped at Meadow Farms and bought 30 pounds of their bacon,,, that wasn't cheap either..

It amazed me the inexperienced people I see fishing the creek with poles and hooks big enough to catch a whale, and they wonder why they can't catch a fish when they use hooks the size of a grappling hook .

I shall return shortly.....

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Week at the creek
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:21 AM »
Another excellent trip retired!     I am laughing at the vision of you telling the foreigners that its the fourth year you told them about the rules....  To funny:)

Sad to hear about the garbage.. But good to know you are starting on next years gas money.

Wow.. Lots of big fish!   Yea!     

But only four inches of water?   Oh dear.......
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »
Great report R96
thank you

Your Comment:
"It amazed me the inexperienced people I see fishing the creek with poles and hooks big enough to catch a whale, and they wonder why they can't catch a fish when they use hooks the size of a grappling hook ."

:rotflmao: but so true of newbies in all kinds of fishing  :lol2:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:13:30 PM »
Roy-is there any day use parking in French Camp?  Salim and I are prolly gonna hit the Lower Owens or Hot Creek this Sunday,  but might have to hit French or somewhere else on Rock Creek for an hour or two as well if there are fish that big in there,  gotta take a few fish home!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the report, R96.  You had a good fish count of some heavy trout. 

Does anyone here have a funny feeling that R96 might have been cleaning his guns when he told those bozos about it being the 4th year in a row?  Talk about making a point and driving it home.  Even if it didn't happen that way, I'm going to make believe that it did.  I need some afternoon chuckles.  :rotflmao:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
Terry, there are 2 creek side areas in French Camp where you can park extra vehicles...One is right next to site 67 which is directly across from where they stock fish at the DWP spillway area...

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 07:45:56 PM »
Great report R96, cleaning guns at the campsite in the open, you are definitely Old School!  :rotflmao: Too bad about the trash, will people never learn, thanks for doing your part! :clap: Too bad about the water level, that's scary!

Keep your report's coming Old Dog as they are enjoyed! :clap: :clap:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »
Thanks Roy!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 04:46:32 AM »
Sad to hear about low water, trash, and poachers- well, almost poachers.... :rotflmao:   but that was a great report. Thanks.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 08:20:35 AM »
I did see my Marmot friend 3-4 times a day by the creek and I named him  " Marvin the Marmot"  On Sunday while fishing the pool below the spillway, he jumped into the water, swam towards the whitewater and instantly about 40 fish swam out of the whitewater to the left side of the creek...I don't know if he was going after fish but the fish wanted no part of him in their pool.

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 01:10:47 PM »
I hate the bozos that play dumb even though they know the rules! Did you see them again?

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
I saw them again on Sunday, there from Armenia and don't know a darn thing about fishing etiquette.  Real Adam Henry's in my opinion...

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
I wonder if they even bothered to purchase fishing licenses?

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
LOL - love the comment about the giant hooks being used... I just figure that leaves more for the rest of us to catch.  Sounded like a fun time, r96.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »
I wonder if they even bothered to purchase fishing licenses?

TrevDog
We did see a warden on Sunday and everyone on McGee told us to be prepared to show your license.
the warden checked the kid next to me to make sure his hook was barbless.
Later on I saw the same warden going up rock-creek (most likely to the lake).

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
The only Warden I saw was last Wednesday at Palisade while I was eating a sandwich.. We talked for about a hour and he did say that due to the low water levels the fish were unable to spawn up the Upper Owens or Hilton Creek. Never saw one Warden opening day or any of the other days I was there...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31:12 AM »
Some friends of mine just got back yesterday , they had a great time !  Rock Creek, Convict , Crowley and June lake loop ,caught lots of fish. They told me there is a bear at Rock creel lake it hit the trash dumpster at the dock... someone left it open , the resort told them it had been hanging around but that it was afraid of people which they experienced on Saturday am they came across it at the resort turned on there brights and it took off .
The Creek is Waiting...