Author Topic: Rock Creek 2013  (Read 5443 times)

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
Rock Creek 2013
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
From Scout:

I went up the hill yesterday, cooler, overcast, but no rain while I was there. We have been in a rainy pattern since Saturday, kind of hit or miss, but it's rain.  The road to Mosquito is open, it's  free of snow all the way, but I could see snow on the trail from the parking lot. It looks like they opened Iris Meadow, but nothing higher up yet. It shouldn't be long before they do, there's not much snow left anywhere...of course, they probably have to wait for the camp hosts to show up......

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:55:03 AM »
update from rock creek campgrounds from facebook this morning:

Hi Friends.. Great News, Rock Creek Lake Campground is now Open! with the great weather we are having we were able to get this up & running earlier than ever before, with the road having been clear of snow, both Fish & Game & Alpers have been able to get some xtra stocking time in so the lake has really been producing nice stringers. Pack your tent & float tube, it's time to go to the Lake!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

CityOfAngelsHiker87

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
Thats all great news! Does anyone have an idea of how often they stock the creeks? and any good reccomendations to go fishing? Were going to be staying at French Camp in late June.

Thanks!  :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »
You will have good fishing right at the creek in French Camp for stockers.  The lake is good just about anywhere, but the inlet, outlet and boat dock seems to fish better.  Up Little Lakes Valley, all the creeks and most lakes have a healthy population of Brook trout to catch.  Itís all good! :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

CityOfAngelsHiker87

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
Thats all good news! Any suggestions of bait to use? I believe last year we used garlice bait or something like that  :lightning:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 03:24:33 PM »
I fish almost exclusively flies, but know that lures in gold or silver can work well.  Also set up my daughterís pole many times with salmon eggs for creek fishing and is almost a guarantee to catch a trout.  Canít help you on power bait choices as I never used it.  Maybe somebody from this board may know or when you come up stop by the Rock Creek lakes Resort store and they can let you know whatís working.

They do stock the creek and lake every week.  Sometimes a load of large alpers is stocked too.  Fish on!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »
Pine Grove CGs are now open. I've been back for two days now, and boy, just like last year, some steams are already dry. Not surprising, but just a wake-up call about how little snow there was.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
Thx as always Jill! I'll be up the first week in June. Hope for a favorable TR
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
Mosquitoes at Horse Corral yesterday. Already! Not a lot, but geez!
Lots and lots and lots and lots of cars heading up the canyon as we headed back down the past couple of days. So busy at the lake or Mosquito Flat or both!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »
Best baits would be worms or grasshoppers if you can find some.  If you hit the back country,  flies are the best way to go...actually they are the best on any section of the creek :fishing3:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Say Hi to all the little ones Jill, we will be up June 30th and will come to the meadow to say Hi.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:10:47 PM »
Always look forward to your visit, Packer! You have a great family.

"Little ones" should start emerging there around 6/17; eesh...

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »
Frost this morning at the corral.

Ugh.

:cold:

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
beldingi, I have never been to the corrals. Do ya'll have mules also?

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »
Marine One, I don't, but the Rock Creek Pack Station sometimes has some of their horses and mules down there.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
Mosquito/ Weather/ Canyon Update - Just came back today after a week at the creek.  The mosquitos were not bad yet in the canyon.  In fact, not one bite this time!  We did see a lot in the backcountry and around areas of standing water.  Weather is getting warmer, with the occasional dip in the low 30's still at night.  Found evidence of Bear activity at the cabin so we will see how active they are this year.  Two trips down, several more to go.
The creek is waiting...

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
It's been quite warm lately, often with afternoon showers. At least, at higher elevations in the canyons and in Mammoth. Not for long though.

Except July 4th. It was sprinkling when we left at 11, and the next day there were big puddles in the roadway. Bushes/meadow soaking wet. I chatted with a nice man who stays at the lodge every July 4th, and he said it started raining at 1, including hail. I don't think it stopped until near morning. I felt REALLY bad for the tent campers!!  (Saw Packer earlier in the week at EF, but didn't notice if they had a trailer or tent.)

Speaking of July 4, it was strangely quiet. Normally there are so many visitors, we take the day off. We maybe saw three groups of people. The guy staying at the lodge said maybe half the cabins were rented, which was unusual. But this weekend is totally different - this morning Iris, Big Meadow and the Pine Grove campgrounds were all full! And car after car after car coming up the hill....

:marshmallow:

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »
Last night/this morning was another rainy one. Cool, wet and VERY cloudy all morning.  :rain:

But all was cured with PIE!! Cafe was crowded, but no flavors crossed off the list as of 11 am!!   :pie2: