Author Topic: Bag Nights  (Read 7314 times)

Sierraslam

Bag Nights
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
Every year a friend and I have a little contest to see who has the most "Bag Nights". Bag Night's are simply, night's in the sleeping bag. Got be in the great outdoors. The floor of a hotel or condo doesn't count. Last year I got in 9 total, most of which were on the ground. I just throw a ground cloth, pad, and sleeping bag on a flat spot. No tent unless the weather dictates. I've been caught a few times putting up a tent in the dark and rain, but I'd rather look at the stars all night. This year I'm shooting for 10-12 bag night's. How many Bag night's can you get in this year?

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bag Nights
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »
Last season and every camping trip is a bag night for me, the only exception was the very last trip where the wife tagged along and we spent a week at the Mammoth Westin..

Fishing season isn't complete without my tent, sleeping bag and campfires. No matter what the weather is I'll still tent camp.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
Of course I never get in as many as I would like but this year is looking pretty good. I have 3 nights spent in a bag so far and permits reserved for 12 more. Our big backpacking trip for this year will hopfully be the one we had to cancell last year. The plan is Mammoth to VVR at Edison Lake and up Mono Creek to Mosquito Flats. I'm not sure what else will happen, I'm not even sure about the opener yet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:30:04 PM by Gary C. »

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »
I have 3 so far this year and plan on 6 at the Creek in July.

A little tip on cheap sleeping bags;
I bought a Coleman 25 degree mummy bag for backpacking because the weight of the bag was really good and although I knew it probably wasn't a true 25 degree bag but when I woke up about 3 AM the first night freezing at about 45 degrees I realized I made a mistake. You get what you pay for and a warm bag is worth it's weight in gold at 3 AM when you know sun up is still 4 hours away and you have put on every stitch of clothes, wool cap & gloves and put your feet into stuff sacks. I didn't think about the 2 emergency blankets I always have with me until later.  :-[

When you are car camping you can always throw on an extra blanket or whatever but when backpacking, you better know what your equipment is capable of. I was fortunate I was in the Sonoran Desert and not the Sierras but that is why I like to gear test stuff and that bag is not Sierra worthy unless I use a fleece liner or something. 

Sierraslam

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
I still have an old down bag. Probably from like 1970 something. Gross I know. That thing has always kept me warm though. Just don't let them get wet!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
Same here, Sierraslam.  Kelty goose down, 2.5 lbs.  Doesn't do well when it's down into the teens, though.    It made many a hike in the 60's and 70's both in the Sierra Nevada, San Gabriel Mountains and out in the deserts.  Does smell funky after all these years, but works like a champ otherwise.

It's been washed many times and once it's dry it is fine, but when it's wet, yuck.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:17:03 PM »
I think I only had 6-7 nights last year.

However this year I should at least double that as i'm just getting into backpacking and have many 3 day weekends planned out.

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »
Same here, Sierraslam.  Kelty goose down, 2.5 lbs.  Doesn't do well when it's down into the teens, though.    It made many a hike in the 60's and 70's both in the Sierra Nevada, San Gabriel Mountains and out in the deserts.  Does smell funky after all these years, but works like a champ otherwise.

It's been washed many times and once it's dry it is fine, but when it's wet, yuck.

You guys are making me regret selling my old down bag in a yard sale a few years ago. I wasn't backpacking any more and we were moving so I decided to let it go (probably for $5.00). I think I paid $125.00 for it in the late 70's and it was a 3lb goose down bag that kept me warm at 15 degrees when I was in Wyoming antelope hunting. What a dummy! Now I'm backpacking again so I guess I will need to replace it with a modern one which will probably be $200 to $300 or more for a good one.  Maybe I can find a big dummy selling one in a yard sale for $5.  :'(

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:13:32 PM »
Got myself 3 bag nights now after opening weekend!   :camping:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »
Give me 7 bag nights this year, and 12 motel nights pre opener in Bishop.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »
By the end of September I should have 27 bag nights  :tent:  I am however trying a cot this year I hope that still counts.
I always car camp so my sleeping bag (coleman) weighs 5lbs it is the most confortable thing ever ,I am sometimes tempted to sleep in it at home :lol:
The Creek is Waiting...

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
Nothing feels as good as a big fat flannel lined sleeping bag on a chilly night.  :tent:

Sierraslam

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:18:45 AM »
27!! wow!! I hope I get 12.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
Looking for a possible 7 nights BAGGED. :lol:

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 11:26:04 PM »
By the end of September I should have 27 bag nights  :tent:  I am however trying a cot this year I hope that still counts.
I always car camp so my sleeping bag (coleman) weighs 5lbs it is the most confortable thing ever ,I am sometimes tempted to sleep in it at home :lol:

Cots count as long as your in a bag. Check out my cot made out of Palo Verde and Creosote.
I built the shelter this winter out of mostly dead Palo Verde and other materials at hand, then decided to build the cot to get me off the ground and avoid the creepy crawlies that we have out here. Especially the one in the last photo. :tent:

I use this as a base camp for fishing and spend a peaceful night listening to coyotes, burros & night hawks.

See more: http://s770.photobucket.com/albums/xx350/havasujon/Primitive%20shelter/?albumview=slideshow

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 07:57:04 AM »
I'm sure I will beat everybody when it comes to bag nights as I expect to have well over 50. Thats one of the benefits of getting paid to do nothing......

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
I'm sure I will beat everybody when it comes to bag nights as I expect to have well over 50. Thats one of the benefits of getting paid to do nothing......

I wanna be just like you when i grow up:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
@ Gary :That's the one 5lb Coleman flannel " I LOVE MY SLEEPING BAG "
The Creek is Waiting...

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »
I'm sure I will beat everybody when it comes to bag nights as I expect to have well over 50. That's one of the benefits of getting paid to do nothing......

You rock Retired!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 11:44:01 PM »
Man I want to be Retired nowwww!!!

:rotflmao:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!