Author Topic: BISHOP MOTEL/HOTEL QUESTION  (Read 8642 times)

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
BISHOP MOTEL/HOTEL QUESTION
« on: May 13, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »
Question:

I need to get a room in Bishop for mom, bro & sis for a visit with another sis.

Any suggestions on hotels/motels?

(Since mom is older, she is not in the mood to tent camp as she has done over the past 50 years.)

Any ideas?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: BISHOP MOTEL/HOTEL QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
I think the nicest in Bishop is the Bishop Creekside Inn, but probable the most expensive too.  If you rather be closer to the lakes and much cooler, try the Resorts up the hill.  Parchers, Bishop Creek and Cardinal Village are all decent and in a beutiful setting with a creek, trees and nearby lakes to explore!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »
Thanks for the info.

My guess is that they will want to stay in town because the goal of the trip is to see visit family.

My worry is that they will end up in a crappy motel.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »
I agree with wshawkins about the scenery be much better up the canyon. When I'm staying in a Bishop hotel about my only concern is a clean bed and a cheap room. "The Elms Hotel" is older but always nice and the prices are good. Another one that we stay at when we have a group that just wants a place to crash is called "The Trees Hotel". The Trees is not in great shape but is clean and cheap with some large rooms. You can get a room with two full size beds and a bedroom with a queen bed for under $100. I think it was $80 for a room that size when we came off our last backpacking trip looking for a place to shower and crash for the night. These probably fall into the crappy hotel category but they both cater to fisherman with a freezer for fish, welcome pets, and save you a buck or two.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »
Sounds like wshawkins has the answer. Ever heard you get what you pay for. Have fun.

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »
fishpole -
The trip is not for me.  I just hope that those going to Bishop have fun.
If the trip was for me, I would sleep under the stars as I have always done.

Gary -
Thanks again for the info.

wshawkins -
Thanks for the info.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
I have stayed at many hotels in Bishop.  Both the Best Western and Holiday Inn are nice options that offer some amenities such as breakfast and are within walking distance to much of the town.  I have also stayed at the Super 8 in Bishop when looking for a place just to sleep.
The creek is waiting...

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »
vhbcinc, I merely suggested the old saying so your Mom, Bro and Sis would have fun and not end up in a 1 star place. I think from my expierence it's still true that you get what you pay for. Did not mean to upset you. Hope they all have a good time.  :clap:

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »
We pay a little extra and stay in the Creekside when we stay in town...love that place.
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies.

Amazingly, during the week in which they plan the trip, there is not a single hotel/motel/cabin available in Bishop!  It is as if Mule Days is going to take place at the same time,..., which it is not.

(We should have purchased the cabin at RCL.)

Thanks again everybody.

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 04:35:41 PM »
Ohh, LOVE the creekside inn. I especially love the cookies they put out  :twothumbs:

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.

Amazingly, during the week in which they plan the trip, there is not a single hotel/motel/cabin available in Bishop!  It is as if Mule Days is going to take place at the same time,..., which it is not.

(We should have purchased the cabin at RCL.)

Thanks again everybody.

Why not check out Parchers up the mountain?

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »
When we go to RC we drive up from Riverside on Saturday at a leisurely pace (about 75MPH) and spend the night in Bishop then drive up to RC bright and early Sunday morning for a week's stay. We've found this gives us the best chance of getting a good campsite in Big Meadow since a lot of people are leaving then. the last three years we've stayed at the Vagabond Inn, it's not super fancy but is clean and has comfortable beds. Since we're just looking for a place to crash overnight we don't pay the extra money to stay at one of them high falutin' super fancy places like the Creekside. The Vagabond is perfectly fine for us, the people are nice and the rooms have always been clean and well kept up. Plus there's a Denny's right next door where you get a discount for showing them your room key. They have a free continental breakfast which is pretty much donuts. It's a couple of blocks from Schat's and there's a Target store right there for us to pick up those last minute forgotten items. I've got our room booked for 8/24 already, we'll be at the creek for the following week, and I'm itching to get up to the creek and put up my hammock.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »
There's a Target in Bishop?
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »

No Just a KMart.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »
When we go to RC we drive up from Riverside on Saturday at a leisurely pace (about 75MPH) and spend the night in Bishop then drive up to RC bright and early Sunday morning for a week's stay. We've found this gives us the best chance of getting a good campsite in Big Meadow since a lot of people are leaving then. the last three years we've stayed at the Vagabond Inn, it's not super fancy but is clean and has comfortable beds. Since we're just looking for a place to crash overnight we don't pay the extra money to stay at one of them high falutin' super fancy places like the Creekside. The Vagabond is perfectly fine for us, the people are nice and the rooms have always been clean and well kept up. Plus there's a Denny's right next door where you get a discount for showing them your room key. They have a free continental breakfast which is pretty much donuts. It's a couple of blocks from Schat's and there's a Target store right there for us to pick up those last minute forgotten items. I've got our room booked for 8/24 already, we'll be at the creek for the following week, and I'm itching to get up to the creek and put up my hammock.

Vagabond is nice, clean, and cheap.  Perfect for just crashing out, that's about it.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »

I'm sure Big Steve meant the  K-Mart store.  Them big box stores starting to all look alike!   ;D
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »
We've stayed at the Vagabond on opening weekend the last few years. This year, we noticed that they have spruced it up quite a bit. Clean rooms, reasonable prices (military & AAA discounts), pool and BBQ area.
Not bad for the price, and close to Lenny's...er Denny's, too.
Smokey's watching you!

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 08:41:52 AM »
I'm sure Big Steve meant the  K-Mart store.  Them big box stores starting to all look alike!   ;D
Ummm, yeah, KMart, that's what I meant. Next to the Von's with all the cold beer!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
thinking about the cold beer must have confused you :clap: :clap:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »
Confusing me - not much challenge in that!