Author Topic: Walker Lake  (Read 4381 times)

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Walker Lake
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »
If you walk up the road to the outlet end, can you get to the lake through the resort ? I'm taking a buddy who may not be able to handle the steep, loose trail.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Walker Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »
Yeah, there is room near the gate to pull over and park and then hike on the road through the resort to the lake.  Itís a longer hike (about 2 miles one-way with about 800 ft. gradual climb) than the other trail-head.  Had no problems with that special secret resort crowd and one time I even got a ride to the lake, but donít count on that. 

But the area expert for this lake is saudust.  I only fish there occasionally.  He sure can provide you the better answer. :hiking2:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:42:05 PM »
Thanks for the info WSH. We may end up using the trail but the road is an option.
Hardrock

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »
bj, the parking at the access road is decent and usually very secure.  The hike in takes longer to get your line wet than down the trail from up top, but the meadows are beautiful.  Like wshawkins, I used to get a lift once in a while, but not often.  The hike in to the back of the lake along the north side takes about 90 minutes.  Down the trail from up top and around the back of the lake takes about 45 minutes, so quite a difference if you prefer that side to fish.  The hike out to the gate, though, is about the same time, maybe 10 minutes more and one hell of a lot easier on the legs.  If the sun is shining the hike out can get warm going that way as the dropping sun is behind you a lot of the way through the meadows.

Once you get near the cabins there is a trail sign directing you to the right.  It says something like "Little Walker Trail" if I recall.  That trail takes you to a divided fence for access around the north side of the lake.  It's a pretty cool hike.  You can throw your lines out at a few places, but the back of the lake is the usual destination for us. 

To get to the south side you'd have to cut through the cabins and I haven't tried that.  Just never felt comfortable with it, I guess, but there are more open fishing spots on that side for sure.

Tight lines and post a report, please!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »
Thanks Saudust

I've always used the steep trail to the south side but my friend had a hip replacement and gets a little gunshy on trails like that. Not sure where all we'll go yet, depends on the snow on the ground at the upper elevations.
Hardrock

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »
We're taking the road access this trip because of my knee.  I just can't take the chance of that steep trail and it folding on me, even with my hiking poles.  I can't imagine what my wife would do to try to get me out of there up that trail, all 5 ft. nothing of her.

I don't think you'll have much of an issue anywhere with the snow, unless you are really trying to get high up into the back country.  I'll bet Walker is clear all around even now with the temperatures that have been there lately.

Have fun!  :hiking2:

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:57 AM »
I'm looking at Spillway, Gaylor and the lakes above the Virginia's which are all above 10k. We'll see. Might stop at RCL for an hour and see what's up there.
Hardrock

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
bj, the parking at the access road is decent and usually very secure.  The hike in takes longer to get your line wet than down the trail from up top, but the meadows are beautiful.  Like wshawkins, I used to get a lift once in a while, but not often.  The hike in to the back of the lake along the north side takes about 90 minutes.  Down the trail from up top and around the back of the lake takes about 45 minutes, so quite a difference if you prefer that side to fish.  The hike out to the gate, though, is about the same time, maybe 10 minutes more and one hell of a lot easier on the legs.  If the sun is shining the hike out can get warm going that way as the dropping sun is behind you a lot of the way through the meadows.

Once you get near the cabins there is a trail sign directing you to the right.  It says something like "Little Walker Trail" if I recall.  That trail takes you to a divided fence for access around the north side of the lake.  It's a pretty cool hike.  You can throw your lines out at a few places, but the back of the lake is the usual destination for us. 

To get to the south side you'd have to cut through the cabins and I haven't tried that.  Just never felt comfortable with it, I guess, but there are more open fishing spots on that side for sure.

Tight lines and post a report, please!

Have you fished Walker Creek in the meadow area.  I can see it from the ridge on the south trailhead, but have never walked the road into the lake.  Is the meadow private property, or is it accessible for flyfishing?  I love fishing Walker Lake, stay at the campground a lot.

John

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 05:47:33 AM »
John,

The entire run of the creek is open until the "fish town" at the lake.  I've never personally dropped a line on it, but I've seen others with fly rods in the meadows. 

You normally camp at the trail head area, don't you?

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 08:29:01 AM »
John,

The entire run of the creek is open until the "fish town" at the lake.  I've never personally dropped a line on it, but I've seen others with fly rods in the meadows. 

You normally camp at the trail head area, don't you?

Yes, it's a great campsite, especially if you score the site under the big juniper tree.  I'll have to check out the creek this time.  There was some cool old trucks and an industrial VW-engine-powered  portable sawmill at the gate parking area for the road last time I checked it.  Of course, that was a few years back, always have used the steep main trail.

Thanks for the info.

John
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:31:48 AM by John Harper »