Author Topic: Boulder Mountain UTAH?  (Read 5185 times)

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Boulder Mountain UTAH?
« on: May 22, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »
Not sure if this would be the best place to put this down or not. 

Does anyone have any information on fishing Boulder Mountain in Utah?  Heading over there for this Memorial Day weekend for some Brooks, Cutts, Tigers, Splakes, and Grayling.  Should be a blast and i'll have a full report up for you guys once back.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Boulder Mountain UTAH?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:00:35 AM »
i dont know anything about the fishing...

but,,, i love utah!     if you have a chance to see zion or other spots, i hope you do!   looks like moab is a bit too far from there.. but it is a great town to visit:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »
Don't know anything about the area,  but just make sure you don't leave after noon on Friday...I am sure you know why...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »
Strange area, kinda off the grid for a lot of fisherman. Look forward to your report- have a great time and good luck!

Charlie

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
My older brother and his family lived many years in Utah near the town of Boulder, which is close to Boulder Mountain.  I used to visit them about once of year, where they would take us to see Bryce Canyon, Zion and Cedar Breaks, Capital Reef, etc.  But also fish some of the many creeks and lakes on Boulder Mountain.  Also fished here as a kid on our family vacations, but donít remember too much as them early times were a blur!

This was many years ago as my brother moved back to California and have not been back since, so not sure if this is still relevant.  But Boulder Mountain consists of 60 to maybe 80 small to medium sized lakes, plus has many creeks to fish.  Many you can drive to, but the best trophy lakes youíll need a 4-wheel vehicle to get there.  One trip I remember well is what was called the Blind Lake area.  To get there take the SR 12 to North Slope Rd.  This is near the town of Torrey and the Parks Main Visitor Center.  Take this well signed dirt road to your designation.  Many lakes in this area to choose from.  Blind Lake and the many lakes in this area hold some very impressive sized fish.  The cuts (Colorado) were the most beautiful Iíve ever seen.  We caught 5 different species of fish that trip, all you listed plus the Rainbow but missed on the Graylings that trip.

Some of the creeks we fished were the Boulder and Calf Creeks, where football sized Brooks were the norm.  Check the regulations as they can change from one body of water to the next. 

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:57:34 PM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

troutketcher

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »
I'm heading to Zion next week and am planning to spend a day or 2 fishing Boulder Mountain as well!  I have never been there either but have heard great things and looking forward to the opportunity to try and catch some new trout species such as the splake and tiger, and the 3 different types of cutts they have there.  I'll let you know how it goes as well. Will be a great warm up trip until I hit the sierras at the end of June.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
My older brother and his family lived many years in Utah near the town of Boulder, which is close to Boulder Mountain.  I used to visit them about once of year, where they would take us to see Bryce Canyon, Zion and Cedar Breaks, Capital Reef, etc.  But also fish some of the many creeks and lakes on Boulder Mountain.  Also fished here as a kid on our family vacations, but donít remember too much as them early times were a blur!

This was many years ago as my brother moved back to California and have not been back since, so not sure if this is still relevant.  But Boulder Mountain consists of 60 to maybe 80 small to medium sized lakes, plus has many creeks to fish.  Many you can drive to, but the best trophy lakes youíll need a 4-wheel vehicle to get there.  One trip I remember well is what was called the Blind Lake area.  To get there take the SR 12 to North Slope Rd.  This is near the town of Torrey and the Parks Main Visitor Center.  Take this well signed dirt road to your designation.  Many lakes in this area to choose from.  Blind Lake and the many lakes in this area hold some very impressive sized fish.  The cuts (Colorado) were the most beautiful Iíve ever seen.  We caught 5 different species of fish that trip, all you listed plus the Rainbow but missed on the Graylings that trip.

Some of the creeks we fished were the Boulder and Calf Creeks, where football sized Brooks were the norm.  Check the regulations as they can change from one body of water to the next. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks!  We actually went up North Slope road and fished a few spots up that way, but the wind was so bad we were having a tough time out there.  Blind lake had white caps out on it!