Author Topic: Fishing with a spoon  (Read 10618 times)

NateK

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Fishing with a spoon
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »
Could someone give me some advice on fishing with a spoon? Like what knot to use, how fast to retrieve, and etc. I'm going fishing to rock creek lake soon and I would like to fish with a spoon.

Fredb

Re: Fishing with a spoon
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:22:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUTJLkN9MQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:19:17 AM by Fredb »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »
I mostly fish with flies but when but when it gets slow I do carry a small box of spoons.  When fishing spoons I use the Palomar Knot as I believe this knot is one of the strongest fishing knots for lures. The Palomar knot is also far and away the simplest and works well with traditional monofilament fishing lines, as well as with the new superbraids. If you’re using fluorocarbon take particular care in tying it and make sure it is well wetted when cinched. I like to use a good quality snap (not a snap swivel) and tie a Palomar knot to secure the snap. This way the spoon is not banging into the rod or nicking the leader when running out. It also lets the spoon swim more freely. 

Another excellent knot is Improved Clinch Knot.  My favorite for fly & bubble fishing set-ups.

How fast to retrieve?  Depends on the water temperature and how deep the trout are.  Trout like water around 54-64* F.  If Rock Creek Lake is colder, slow down your retrieve.  I think Wobblers work best for slower retrieves in cold water as they have multiple holes in the lip to keep it moving.  You will need to experiment how deep to go to find the trout.

Other important considerations you need to make are what color spoons to use and what size spoon to fish with.  For me I replace the treble hook for a single hook and pinch down the barb for C&R.

I know that trolling with spoons at about 1 mph in Rock Creek Lake last fall was very effective for me and my daughter.  Good luck!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »
Palomar knot is the way to go.  All I use for trout fishing.  It's fast and always holds up.

As far as spoons go, check out Thomas Bouyants and Cyclones along with Lip Ripperz Z-Spoons.  Any of the combinations of Red/Gold/Copper work great up there.

As far as retrieval speeds go.  I always start off slow and then will gradually work my way to speeding it up depending on what the fish want. 

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 05:13:15 AM »
NateK, if you're shore fishing keep in mind to work your position like a clock.  For example, cast to 9 o'clock, then 10 and so on around to 4.  Also, with spoons and deeper water, vary the amount of time after your cast hits the water to start retrieving your lure.  This lets it get down to deeper water if the trout aren't hitting more toward the surface.  Don't think that trout aren't close to shore either.  They will follow that spoon all the way until they see the whites of your eyes.  It also doesn't hurt to give your pole some action during the retrieve just to mix the presentation up a bit, either long slow pulls or quicker short jig motions sometimes can entice a hit.

Tight lines.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:59:20 AM »
Good thread with great info.

I have found that an Improved Clinch works best for me with lighter lines I use when trout fishing. While the Palomar knot is definitely easier, I've had some problems with it on the small stuff. When fishing in the ocean, I use nothing but the Palomar and never had a single problem when using it on 20# or greater. When cinching down the knot, I always keep it moist regardless of the line type or knot type. This is an important tip to me. Strange, but I've been disappointed in using fluorocarbon to date, the final verdict is still out however. I like to tie directly to the lure, no swivel or swivel/snap.

I always carry assorted patterns of Jensen's Needlfish, my fav. I like them due to the single hook vs. a treble for ease in C & R. I have caught trout in back country lakes with them, however flies are usually more effective. At RCL, try the Red Dot Frof pattern.

I mix up the retrieval usually, sometimes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes jerky. I usually let the thing sink a long time prior to starting the retrieval, 10 seconds or more. More than once the spoon got hit while letting it sink, be ready to set. I've had luck jigging them off of the bottom, but that can be annoying with snags.

Pretty simple for me, when I approach a lake I'm going to fish, if there is a rise, I'll fly/bubble. No rise, I start with the spoons.

Welcome to the forum Nate!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:14:26 AM by playingmenace »
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

NateK

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
I'm going to fish at the dock and if I get no luck wheres the next area I should fish?

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »

I like the inlet at the other side of the lake.

Have a great trip!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
I also use the improved clinch knot for almost everything,  yet I also use mostly flourocarbon and have never had issues with it.  Only time I use the palomar knot is with a drop shot rig for bass...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
Nate, fish with a red/gold buoyant at the OUTLET of the lake EARLY...like 6:00.  Fish to the right of the outlet in the rocks.  Vary the speed of your retrieve.  Also use light line...I've done really well w/ a buoyant there...
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

NateK

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
My parents were impatient and just wanted to fish at a random spot. Is the outlet next to the boat docks?

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 06:20:43 AM »
Nate, check out the attached image of the lake.  Let me know if you have any questions.  When I say "right of the outlet," I mean as you stand there looking at the lake, not as you look at this satellite image...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:26:21 AM by Creek Dude »
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »
Despite many, many of you stating the success you've had with Thomas B. - I've never once caught a fish on them.  I've tried them in multiple colors and sizes, but just have not figured it out.  One main annoyance is that the line gets twisted very fast with them (so then I tie a snap swivel).  I feel like I'm doing something wrong.  I have used PMs and KMs with success and use the techniques described above.  Any tips specifically for the TBs? I'm determined to catch a trout with one this summer! :)

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
 Exodus - When fishing the TBs I install a small split ring in the lure, then slide a barrel swivel onto the split ring. Try to use the smallest split ring and swivel you can get away with as the larger ones take away from the action of the lure. Like Tim has stated in an earlier post, try changing the retrieve up until you find the certain pattern that works on that certain day. Keep in mind that what works yesterday may not work today. Watch and see if anything is following the lure in and how the fish are acting as this can give indications of how to retrieve. Thomas Bs work. I have caught a ton of fish on these and they are one of my go-to lures every time. Green-Gold and Red-Gold are my favs. Make sure to use the smaller sizes (including light line, 4lb tops).
"Don't get no better than this!"

longnstrait

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 01:39:13 PM »
Yep, split rings are the key to getting action on the TB!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Yes, some good advice Fshrsmn.  Thomas Buoyant in red/gold is a just about guaranteed to hook up for me.  I put one on in the afternoon when fly fishing slows way down.  No need to add any weight to get it deep.  I use the 3 level fishing techniques.  Surface, mid and bottom fishing.  Keep count how many seconds it takes to bottom out.  Half that time for mid fishing and then try surface and you will soon find where the fish are.  Never fails, no luck needed

And have a couple extra lures on hand just in case you hook on to a log when going deep.  Good luck.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 03:59:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  I have some small snap swivels (about as small as they come!) that might work before I can get the split rings.  I've found that the snap swivels on the front of a lure slow down the bite it seems.  But, hey, I will give it a shot!

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 03:09:32 PM »
Well, I finally did it!  I caught some stockers on the TB red/gold.  It was basically wide open for about 2 hours (I think they may have planted the day before or that day).  w00t!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »
You can not go wrong with a TB. I agree with all on a classic red/gold, but have also had great success with the rainbow trout pattern. I use a #1 fastlock tyed with a trilene knot, but do use the palomar knot for all my hooks. If you still get line twist you can try a fastlock swivel. Definitely use the count down method and also use different retrieves, sometimes if you start and stop, start and stop they will hit it when you stop the retrieve for a second.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !