Author Topic: Rock Creek Lake Report  (Read 2330 times)

NateK

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Lake Report
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »
Just came back from Rock Creek Lake and the fishing was about I would say a 7 out of 10. Fished for an hour without a bite and then I caught 4 fish (In total I fished for 3 hours and 30 minutes). I was using nightcrawlers and a Thomas Buoyant Red/Gold spoon. I had no luck on the spoon, not sure why I think maybe because I don't know how to fish a spoon? The only thing I caught on the spoon was weeds. But on the nightcrawlers I had 5 hookups and missed 1 of them.  The fish weren't that big maybe about 8-10 inches in length and about 1 pound. I plan on going to RC Lake again next week and we'll see if I get anymore luck. (Oh and do you guys know any good tackle stores around bishop so I can maybe see what I was doing wrong with the spoon and get more nightcrawlers? Thanks)

-Nate

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Lake Report
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:32:59 PM »
Try a gold Phoebe (that's my favorite spoon type lure). You have to keep moving if you are using a lure in the lake. Cast and reel from one spot but fan out with your casts then move and try again. If you see the fish chase the lure you know you will eventually surprise one but once they see it and you keep casting, they will just ignore it. Keep moving! RCL is probably the only lake you can literally fish from every inch of shoreline.

If you want to stay in the same place. Use bait and if you have a 2 pole stamp you can cast your lure and hope to surprise a cruising fish. If the bite is on, using a lure will allow you to catch and release many fish beyond your limit. But if you are doing catch and release make sure you do it the right way or most will die later.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Lake Report
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:57 PM »
Mac's in Bishop right next to Jacks waffle shop is a great place to stop for tackle and tips. I always do.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!