Author Topic: TR 6/2-6  (Read 1875 times)

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
TR 6/2-6
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »
4X?

Second time to try this as it doinked me out yesterday.
Drove up Sunday, had breakfast at Tom's. Headed up to CSI. Passed 3 guys with 5" jointed topwater crank-type baits hooked on their poles. I asked if they left me any and they replied they left a lot.  Well, I confirm I left a lot too. Nary a bite. Spent the night in Mammoth, Coldwater CG.
Monday headed to RCL mid afternoon after picking up my permit for Tues-Wed night in LLV .  Fished the creek out of French a few small ones. Rolled into French 66 to find it bare. retired must have pulled out early... Made some dinner; threw out my bag and futzed around with my pack.  Went to sleep at dark.  About 2a I heard my bear can fall off the table. Turned on my flashlight to see two sets of orange to yellow eyes. They were about 6" apart and 18-24" off the ground.  I yelled at them and they scurried away.
Next morning got up early had some chow and headed up to Mosquito. Loaded my pack and got 300' up the trail. No way was I going to make it. I have a herniated disk and it's painful in my left shoulder. MAN was I disappointed. So back to the car and changed to day attire and hiked to Chickenfoot and fished there, Box and Mack on the way back.  It was sloooow fishing for very small specimens.
Was tired and snagged a tent spot at the lake. Spent the night, fished the lake a few hrs; caught a 18" brown and a 12" bow.  Then went down to the meadow looking for Jill. i looked for cars with out of state plates and did not see and action in the meadow. I moved on and went back to the camp and decided to stay another night.
The next day I fished in the morn and made a leisurely exit. On the way out I decided on the outlet. That's where the action was. Caught 5 more and called it a day and headed south.
I'll be back on the 8th-12 of July. Planning on Saddlebag and then maybe Thur afternoon for early club activities.  I really and to place some faces and say thanks for all the help and info from here.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:41:56 AM by TEX »
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: TR 6/2-6
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:50:34 AM »
Sounds like you had a good trip!  That 18 brown trout Im sure perked up your mood!  The outlet or near the boat docks have always been good to me.  Thanks for the trip report Tex.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »
Don't even think about being in my favorite spot in a week or so..

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
Thanks for the report, Tex.  I'm sorry to hear you couldn't backpack, but at least you had a good day hike.  I don't like to hear stuff like that, knowing it will happen to me sooner than later.  Hope your next trip is good, too.  I had 'yotes tear my pack open once. Bear cans work on more than bears.  Marmots.....little beggars....

Charlie

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
this is the best unsuccessful back packing trip report ever!     wow, you did alot!  love the photos!

looking forward to meeting you at club!

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....