Author Topic: Favorite Flies  (Read 5140 times)

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Favorite Flies
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »
I am going to attempt fly fishing and after doing some research it seams to be complicated as to which fly to use at any given time or place. 

Based on my non-fly fishing experience there is almost always a simple way to catch fish without a lot of crazy science etc. 
For example, I have learned that a hook and a worm will pretty much catch anything, anywhere.

Based on that, please give me your simple and easy solution to a few flies that you use and your "go to fly" kind of like if you could only have one, which would you choose?

Also, back country as opposed to stocked Trout, lake, creek, etc.

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Flies
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:36:49 AM »
My favorite dry fly is the Elk Hair Caddis and favorite wet fly is a pheasant tail nymph. Those two flies tear it up in the sierras! I use them hear in San Diego also for trout, bluegill, and carp. One time I even got a largemouth bass on the pheasant tail.

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:05:16 PM »
Thanks 87, I remember others mentioning Elk Hair Caddis as their favorite. I will get both for my next outing which happens to be in 6 days.

I will report back on my success with your suggestions. I'm just not at a point where I am willing to search the shore for what is hatching and all that. Maybe when I retire and can spend more time at it.

My whole thing now is I have been spin reel fishing my entire life and want to get more organic. It seems the last four or five years that the fishing up there is getting slower and slower. I think less fish are stocked and more people are taking fish even though the limit has been lowered to five.

The last couple years I have walked the entire RCL shore and have seen very few fish. I see lots of limit stringers from shore fishermen that spend the day reading a book or whatever but the days where you can catch and release 20+ fish in one evening using a fly and bubble seem to be gone. 

We use to wait until almost dark and always do well off the intake point but haven't had any luck with that in a few years. I'm not sure what has happened but I am looking to do something different so I am not so disappointed with the catch. 

Thank you for the help.

tomsakai

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:32:01 AM »
Parachute ant pattern and a Copper John (or lightning bug). 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:10:27 AM »
Drive-to-Lakes the Woolly Bugger or the Matuka do well.  Backcountry I match the hatch, or try a wet Gray Hackle and Hare’s Ear or a dry Elk Hair Caddis.  Elk Hair Caddis also works well at Rock Creek!  I probable catch 90% or more fish with wet flies, most just below the surface.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
Recommended flies for the back country....Mosquito, Adams (parachute makes it easier to see), Black Ant, Grey Hackle Yellow (caught my first limit on a fly on these back in the 60"s), Royal Wulff as an attractor, Green Body Mosquito, Zug Bug....I prefer size 16, a 14 will do. The fish back there really aren't that selective, they're usually pretty voracious. Inlets and outlets to all the lakes are productive, but I like the creeks between the lakes.
Have fun.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »
Trouter

You have received good advice from many.

The only thing I can add is:
When you get addicted to fly fishing, go slow in choosing newer equipment and don't start buying
flies by the dozens until you have had a chance to talk to the gents that gave you great advice earlier.

Have fun on your trip.:fishing4:

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
If I can see that they are actively feeding I'll fish a Mosquito, Adams, or a Caddis. If there is no surface action I'll tie on either a Stimulator or a Foam Hopper with Pheasant Tail nymph or a Copper John dropper.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 07:07:23 AM »
i just got back from the GTW up above Horseshoe Meadows, used a Parachute Adams #14.   Caught over 50 golden trout (all released) on this one pattern.

Also used a parachute black ant for creekin' up above Big Springs for some tiny Deadman Creek rainbows.

John

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »
sorry Trouter taking the thread off topic

John

we were at horseshoe yesterday, the creek was stagnant in some places.
very low water levels.
How was the GTW in the Cotton woods lake area?

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
sorry Trouter taking the thread off topic

John

we were at horseshoe yesterday, the creek was stagnant in some places.
very low water levels.
How was the GTW in the Cotton woods lake area?

Yes, the meadow creek was scary low water, lots of spots where creekbed was just mud.  Stayed at SF Lake, fished there and the Cottonwoods.  Fishing was excellent, my buddy got one close to 15".  Creeks between lakes did not have any fish, however, very unusual.  Fished CW creek below the road and it was on fire for me, probably got two dozen fish in a half mile stretch.  All released of course.

John

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 09:17:56 PM »
Scout pretty much nailed it,  Tan or Olive Elk Hair Caddis,  mosquito,  Adams,  grey hackle yellow are all you pretty much need up at the creek.  Black Gnats are great in the back country too.  Jon,  these are general flies,  will work almost anywhere...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

larry

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »
Re: flys...read some of Ralph Cutter's ( I'm guessing he is out of Truckee area) writings on flys, very simple and informative. (just the way I like it)