Author Topic: CAMPGOUND/CAMPSITE RECOMMENDATIONS  (Read 3698 times)

BearBait

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
CAMPGOUND/CAMPSITE RECOMMENDATIONS
« on: July 07, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
Hello:

We are car/tent campers, and new to the Rock Creek area. We are coming up next Wednesday, (July 10th). I planned the trip mid-week to maximize the chance of getting a good spot. I am looking for good tent spots, hopefully close to water.

I have read quite a bit about the various campgrounds, but honestly, my eyes are starting to glaze over a bit. It's so hard to really get the "flavor" of a campsite from just a photo or two...I am a single dad with 2 daughters, and I am trying to avoid doing alot of excess driving with a car full of gear...

Specific campground/campsite#'s would be soooo appreciated.

Thanks so much,

BearBait + 2  :camping:

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPGOUND/CAMPSITE RECOMMENDATIONS
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »
The sky is the limit with choices! French camp is one big loop. I prefer the sites on the creek side because you have no neighbors in front of you and your closer to the creek with more privacy. Iris meadow is amazing but limited on sites. You could cruise by iris meadow and if you see one open......claim it for your self. East fork has alot of spots also. You have alot of choices when you arrive during the week. Any # of sites is best. I look at it like this " At least I'm not sitting at my house dreaming about it!"

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »
Welcome to the board BearBait.

If I were you, I'd tour each campground on your trip up the canyon. There are good sites in all of them. I too have always preferred creekside sites, but they are not always available. I have stayed in some really nice sites off of the creek, so don't be too disappointed if you can't grab a creekside site.

Iris Meadow, Big Meadow, East Fork, and Upper Pine Grove all have fav sites of mine in 'em.

As far as the best arrival day for site selection, that would be Sunday late morning.

I'm thinking your group is going to have a great time regardless.

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

BearBait

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind replies. Good info., and I appreciate it. I see there has been a draconian (Stage 1) fire restriction put in place for Sequoia. No campfires at all or BBQs. I think it applies only below 6000'. I don't see restrictions that would cause a problem in the Rock Creek Lake area...so looks like we are good to go.

Dusting off the camping gear, checking the fishing gear and putting together the grocery list...T-Minus 2 days, YIPPEE!

Thanks again for the info., I'll post to the board when we get back.

Regards,

BearBait  :fishing3:

BearBait

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »
Hello again:

I have another question. I am finding little information about the campsites actually at Rock Creek Lake. I see photos of the lake, etc., but none of the actual campsites. What are the conditions there? Also, do you know how many are reserved vs. first-come-first-served?

Is it primarily brushy, or are there trees-would it be comfortable for tent camping? Is there swimming in the lake?

It certainly looks beautiful, I just have no clue how good it would be for tent camping vs. the other campgrounds up Rock Creek.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BearBait & Co.  :camping:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:28:34 AM »
Personally,, the lake is the last place I would camp,, its mostly people in RV'S parked on asphalt...There is a tent camping area but you have to walk a distance to your site...There is way too much traffic with people driving thru the campground loop.. I have never seen anyone swimming in the lake as the water is cold considering your at 10,000 feet...and you rick stepping on a fish hook or lure.. June Lake has a swim beach but its quite a way from Rock Creek...

To me camping at the lake would be like camping on a freeway in So. Calif......

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »

I totally agree with R96.

It's ez to enjoy everything the lake has to offer without camping there.

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Sierraslam

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:51:33 AM »
Iris meadow #6! Any of the creek side sites in Iris Meadow or Big meadow do me just fine. Go to campsitephotos.com and type rockcreek in the search box. Bunch of pics. for you. I prefer the creek campgrounds as well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:56:29 AM by Sierraslam »

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 09:53:40 AM »
BearBait, when you said "near the water" most responses were guiding you to sites near the creek, not the lake.  Like Retired96 stated, camping at the lake is a freeway adventure, so if your daughters want or you want to give them a really good taste of camping stay in the canyon at the campsites they've been recommending.   The shallows at the east end of June Lake, though a bit of a drive from RCL, should be comfortably warm for swimming and little risk of fish hooks, though I'd be wearing sandals, IMO.

One other note, the canyon sites are lower in elevation, so that might work in your favor, too.  When I first camped there at the lake sites my kids got altitude sickness, which really ruined their experience.

Have a great trip with your daughters. 
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

oulous

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Cidery & Winery Project
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 07:04:21 AM »
My brother and I are heading to the Sierras on June 3rd (2014). The 3rd is a Tuesday, can folks who have been there tell me if we will have any trouble getting a first come first serve site? We are considering doing a reservation but its always nicer to pick your own spot if you can.

Seems that Iris and Big meadow are the best places to look?

If we do a reservation can anyone suggest a particular camp site number? Its hard to guess when looking at the reservation map which one we should pick.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:17:12 AM by oulous »

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 07:29:48 AM »
  Personally, I like site #60 at East Fork. The campground road is between the site and the creek, but the creek is just feet away from the road. The site is huge, the bathrooms are close, and the water spigot is right there too. This is the first site on the right going into the upper loop (non-reservable) area of the campground. It's hard to get, but if free it's worth looking at. Our trailer fits nicely and there are two additional large areas for tents. We have spent many trips in that site.
"Don't get no better than this!"

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »
Iris Meadows has some great spots, but there are not many. Most of the sites are right on or near the creek, but when they fill up the only thing available is an overflow area that is not very nice and without any shade. East Fork is the biggest camping area along the creek and all of the good sites book up beginning six months ahead of time. You may still be able to make a reservation at East Fork on line for one of the general areas at East Fork and when you get there they will give you a specific site in that area that is available. You can also try just showing up, first come first serve without a reservation. Some times you get a good spot, some times not, but there are almost always spots available. Recreation.gov shows there are about 30 reservable spots still available for an arrival date of June 3rd, but none are on the creek. I would probably just show up for first come first serve.

Even if you stay at East Fork, if you and your brother are fishing I would recommend you drive over to Iris Meadows, park outside the campground and walk in to do some fishing. There are some really great sites to fish there. And don't forget to get some pie at the "Pie in the Sky" at Rock Creek Lakes Resort!

Have a great time.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
This may help and the link worth a bump

http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/East-Fork
Also if you reserve a spot get there and not thrilled with it and find an open spot you like better, ask the host if you can change/transfer to that spot.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.