Author Topic: Cabins at the lake  (Read 2254 times)

AnnalisaR

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Cabins at the lake
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
Hi all.  Just curious.  I have noticed a cabin at the lake when fishing.  Today I was on google earth with my son and we went over to that part of the lake.  I was surprised to see quite a few buildings on that side of the lake.  I was curious about them.  Are they for rent?  Is there a road to them.  It didn't look like it on google earth.  Just curious. 

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Cabins at the lake
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »
If you are talking about the cabins above the lake,  above where the creek comes in,  those are all private cabins,  don't think there is much of a road up to them.  Creekdude can prolly answer this a bit better...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »
We discussed the cabins in this topic earlier this year.  Read through all three pages of this topic as it as interesting information on the cabins and other subjects.  There were still a half of dozen or more cabins up there as of last fall when I took a look around myself.

http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?topic=51.0
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
We were there last week, and visited a friend's cabin.  There are 2 cabin roads w/ at least 11 or 12 cabins total above the lake.
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »
I love that old thread.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »
There are many Forest Service cabins all along Rock Creek from Tuff Campground upstream to the lake.  There used to be many more cabins along the creek, including lower Rock Creek, but many have been removed over the years for various reasons.  All the cabins are privately owned.  Our cabin was built in 1928 by a family in Bishop.  Supplies were hauled up via Mule and they began building in 1926 and completed the project two years later.  The family would stay at the cabin from June until school began again in September and would travel to Bishop once a month for supplies. The cabins from Tom's Place up to the lake are considered "dry" cabins as they have no utilities.  The cabins down along the creek below Tom's Place to Tuff have electricity and water now so they are a bit more modern.
The creek is waiting...

AnnalisaR

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
Thanks All.  It would be my dream to own one of those cabins above the lake.