Author Topic: The Story of the Pine Creek Tungsten Mine  (Read 66324 times)

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of the Pine Creek Tungsten Mine
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2017, 07:41:55 PM »
More good info thanks Gary C.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2017, 05:54:27 AM »
Interesting that they call the transportation into the mine "Man-Trains" while on the tour I took they were called ore cars driven by electric mules.  Thanks for the video.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Paufont

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm from Catalonia and I've joined this forum because of a car. Let me explain.

I'm 23 and a classic car enthusiast, love 50's american cars but there are non of them here at all, the thing is I knew someone who lived sometimes in Barcelona, sometimes in L.A. And asked him to look a particular car for me (back in 2016), a 1958 Plymouth. After a while he sent me some pics of a car, which he bought and sent to Catalonia for me. I didn't really knew, talked or met the owner, as I never went to USA, but here is where the story has something to do with the forum I guess.

Thanks to the paperwork I got I knew the car came from Bishop, but the pictures of it were not in a town, were somewhere in the mountains near there, I've spent some hours searching online and in google maps arround Bishop in the mountains and I think I found the place where the car was parked (shown in the first pic) and have been able to read in google maps "tungstene mine" and my search has started here, I'll show you some pictures but I think that car belonged to the Pine Creek Mine, maybe you could help me know if I am right with the pics I'll show you.

It would be nice for me to know if that car belonged to the mine, who was the owner, its story... I'm completely restoring it and maybe there's an interesting story behind it, as the mine itself is, more over being in such a beautiful place.

Thanks,

Pau

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2017, 06:56:58 AM »
Yes, thatís the Pine Creek Tungsten Mine site. 

The Pine Creek Tungsten Mine was an extraordinary operation. Begun in 1916, the mine operated until 2001, producing (along with the Climax mine in Colorado) 93% of the tungsten produced in the United States as of 1977. Low cost imports led to the mothballing of the mine in 2001.  The main ore is scheelite, a calcium tungstate mineral that is notable for its intense fluorescence in ultraviolet light.

The mine itself was a technological achievement.  Most mines go down into the ground, but the ore in Pine Creek Tungsten Mine extended to 12,000 feet up into the adjacent peak.  Miners could enter the mine at 8,000 feet and work some 4,000 feet higher up in the mountain.

As for the cars history, you could start with the mine owners, Craig Rossell and Lynn Goodfellow.  You can find their email & phone #ís through an internet search. 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."