Author Topic: 2013 club report  (Read 7805 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
2013 club report
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:37:28 PM »
Headed up with Salim,  his exchange student Silvie,  and Harry the English Pointer about 4:30 am saturday morning.  Ride was pleasant,  as I slept from Mojave to Lone Pine!  Did a quick tour of the Mt Whitney fish hatchery,  and got up to the creek at East Fork about 10am,  greeted Packer and family,  as well as Carol,  and got to meet Claremont dude.  Headed up for an insane slice of Nectarine Pie and then hiked up to a nice lil stretch of stream  that Salim said was one of his "secrets."  Caught plenty of lil wild trout in that area on a picture perfect day.  Back at that camp that evening we were joined by Retired 96,  Playing Menace and wife,  Jill the squirrel lady,  and Marine one and family.  Also got to meet Corey and her husband...Corey does exist! Scout,  our great historian,  was there as well passing out his awesome handmade maps.  A figure out of the darkness of the night turned out to be Bill and family as well!   Has tons of great food that night,  mostly from Wayne's dutch oven,  along with tons of great conversation.  Thanks to Marine one for the great bottle of patron,  u da man!  A few other awards were given out,  and everyone had a great time.  Thanks again to Wayne for allowing me to pass out in his "supply" tent!  Next morning,  we headed up for more pie,  and of course had to stop for bread in Bishop.  Hit Horseshoe Meadow on the way home for some very hard lil Volcano Creek Goldens in a creek that is barely flowing.  After that it was time to head home.  All in all it was a great weekend of fishing,  food,  friends,  and pie.  Yes,  pie gets its own category!  See ya'll next year,  it will be the 10th annual gathering of the Rock Creek Republic!  Don't plan to visit the week before or after,  be there with all of us!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:49:35 PM by Topwater Terry »
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 club report
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »
Ok,  since this board is so fouled up,  I guess we'll have to do it the hard way,  three pics at a time,  it won't take more...

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:50:57 PM by Topwater Terry »

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »
Even drawn out into multiple posts it still makes a great report.  :clap:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
Thanks  Gary!  Hey,  had a question about Horseshoe Meadows.  It was barely flowing,  is that because of multiple years of low snowpack or because of the lack of recent thunderstorms?  Man,  that creek aint looking good,  there are more cow pies up there than water...

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 09:08:15 PM »
Great report and pictures. Thanks for sharing :bowdown:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »
Great Trip report!  Really made the most of your time while up there.  Good fishing, good scenery, good food, good people and excellent pie.  What more to you need. :pie2:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:34:38 AM »
Beautiful Fish Terry !!   I have to say it was a lot of fun and We will definitely be there next year !!
The Creek is Waiting...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »
Terry,

What I don't think Corey is aware of yet is that she is hooked....and now guilty by association, lol.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »
Terry, that is a very very good report with many good pics! Your very welcome and enjoy every drop of the good stuff! I enjoyed seeing every one again! You all are amazing people! Claiemont dude! I loved the tamales. Carol. I can never never say enough good things about you! Wayne. My hat is off to you! You really amazed me with your dutch ovens! I'm bringing my stuff to the party next time!

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »
Thanks  Gary!  Hey,  had a question about Horseshoe Meadows.  It was barely flowing,  is that because of multiple years of low snowpack or because of the lack of recent thunderstorms?  Man,  that creek aint looking good,  there are more cow pies up there than water...

Two years of low snowpack, for sure.   There are sections of the the meadow creek completely dry, especially by Trail Pass trail.  We need a good winter next season or it will be grim.  Be sure to have a water source if you head out in the area, especially over Trail Pass.  A husband/wife duo had to be rescued when I was up there due to severe dehydration.  No water between HM and SF Kern River, not good.

John

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
Terry,

What I don't think Corey is aware of yet is that she is hooked....and now guilty by association, lol.

LOL  You are right ... I am Hooked  :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

Erik Baer

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »
Was great meeting everyone. We had a great time. As Corey said we're hooked. Heading back to East Fork in August, think we are camping next to Scout and his family  :camping:. Maybe he can show me some fly fishing pointers  :fishing3:

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
The Bears! Erick it was nice to finally meet the faces!

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 08:16:35 AM »
Looks and sounds like you all had a good time.  One of the years I will make it to the event.
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 10:27:08 AM »
It was a great week-end
thank you all

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
Erik, the offer still holds...I'll be busy with family, teaching a three year old nephew to fish....the two year old won't start til next year, the six year old is on his own, with distant supervision. I'm sure I'll be able to at least show you the basic idea...I even found a rod for you to use. Looking forward to seeing you and Corey.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 10:00:29 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond sooner but we just got back today from 8 days worth of backpacking. I agree that the lack of snow and rain has put a real hurt on that little stream. Friday the 19th we stayed at the campground next to Horseshoe Meadows and like you said there is hardly a stream and few fish. We didn't even fish the meadow and decided to wait until we got up to the lakes. July 20 to the 23rd we camped up at the Cottonwood Lakes and the lakes are in pretty good shape but the water was very warm and the creeks up there are pretty skinny also. I had no problem going for a short but cool swim in the afternoon one day to cool off and clean up. The good news (for the lakes and not us backpackers) it rained every day we were up there. Mostly at night so it didn't stop us from doing what we wanted to do. When we got back to Bishop on Tuesday the 23rd we heard that 1.5 inches of rain had been recorded for the Alabama Hills. Sometime in the next week or so I'll try to post a report and some pictures of our stay there and the following four days in Sabrina Basin.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 02:58:33 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond sooner but we just got back today from 8 days worth of backpacking. I agree that the lack of snow and rain has put a real hurt on that little stream. Friday the 19th we stayed at the campground next to Horseshoe Meadows and like you said there is hardly a stream and few fish. We didn't even fish the meadow and decided to wait until we got up to the lakes. July 20 to the 23rd we camped up at the Cottonwood Lakes and the lakes are in pretty good shape but the water was very warm and the creeks up there are pretty skinny also. I had no problem going for a short but cool swim in the afternoon one day to cool off and clean up. The good news (for the lakes and not us backpackers) it rained every day we were up there. Mostly at night so it didn't stop us from doing what we wanted to do. When we got back to Bishop on Tuesday the 23rd we heard that 1.5 inches of rain had been recorded for the Alabama Hills. Sometime in the next week or so I'll try to post a report and some pictures of our stay there and the following four days in Sabrina Basin.

Gary,

Can't wait for the report.  Iw as thinking of doing the cottonwoods soon.  Do you think it is doable in 3 days?  1 day to hike in and out and then 1 to fish?  Or should it be a 4 day trip?

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
Cottonwood Lakes is not that far and three day would be fine. Lots of folks do it as a day hike even but I would prefer the one day in, one day to fish, and one day out schedule. There would still be plenty of time to fish on the hike days also.  ;)

fitness

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
Two years of low snowpack, for sure.   There are sections of the the meadow creek completely dry, especially by Trail Pass trail.  We need a good winter next season or it will be grim.  Be sure to have a water source if you head out in the area, especially over Trail Pass.  A husband/wife duo had to be rescued when I was up there due to severe dehydration.  No water between HM and SF Kern River, not good.

John

John

No water between Horseshoe Meadow and the SF Kern river ?!  That look like it is a big area on the Boreal Plateau.  Are you saying that Funston lake and the rocky basin lakes are dry ?