Author Topic: 395 mudslides  (Read 4301 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
395 mudslides
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »
I was checking the CHP incident log on Sunday and saw that there was a major flash flood south of the Hawiee Res. Someone in a Toyota pick up had his truck washed away and it was found on Monday 1 1/2 miles away buried in mud. 396 was closed for hours due to the mud slide...There was also major flooding on 395 in the Ridgecrest area and the road to Trona...

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 395 mudslides
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
Some friends had to spend the night at Coso Junction Rest Area.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »
just read that there was alot of damage at manzanar as well...    :(

the national park service posted this photo of water running thru merrit park within manzanar,, and all of the roads past the visitor center are closed:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:05:52 PM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Erik Baer

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:12:56 PM »
Wow! Corey showed me some pics on face book from Mt Whitney campground. Looks like it got hit pretty hard as well.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »
395 was also closed yesterday afternoon for hours from Pearsonville to Coso Junction for a mudslide... I can just imagine the traffic back up....I got stuck in the flash flood that hit Independence a few years ago that wiped out the hatchery and some homes....Spent 6 hours sitting in my vehicle...

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »
My wife and I came through there on Monday mid afternoon and were surprised to see so little evidence of the mud slide. It did not seem as though there was enough mud to cause a vehicle to be moved 1 1/2 miles away. I trust that the driver is OK.  We had a great two weeks at French Camp and the lake. Had fun catching a 2 pounder at the outlet. Sorry to have missed the Club event but my age and a day of trolling on the lake has greatly effected my social life.

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »
papow! You were so close! Maybe next year we can meet?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:37:24 PM »
Found this video on the web.  Flashfloods and lots of mud near Ridgecrest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKN30Bwf_HQ
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
 :clap: to the Caltrans maintenance crews.......CT gets ripped a lot for traffic, but when it comes to cleaning up after these types of events, they do awesome.......must be the overtime they can log!
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »
1st of all, deep thanks for this MB and great HS information.  I'm a retired CA native from Ventura thinking about coming up for a few days.  How's the weather and water levels look?  Thanks again to all who make this possible.  lf

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »
The night of this storm we were pushed into our tents in the Cottonwood Lakes before dark by the rain. Around 2-3am the wind and rain was so bad that everyone was awake in there tents and praying the wind wouldn't blow us off the mountain. After the wind calmed down a little Debbie and I got another couple of hours sleep and it was partially clear when we woke up. The same thing happened on Monday night but I think that the wind was even worse. Depending on which way the gusts were coming from my tent wall would blow down and hit me on either the top or back of my head. Between seven of us we had five tents set up and were lucky that we didn't have one torn loose.

Sierraslam

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 11:21:42 AM »
sometimes a little weather adds to the trip, that sounds a little scary. I'll be looking for the Golden pictures!

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »
Can,t fool aroud with Mother nature

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »
More flash floods today and hwy 395 is closed again from Pearsonville N/B and S/B frfom Olancha... Flooding in the same spot known as Dunmovin,