Author Topic: Creek levels  (Read 2234 times)

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Creek levels
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:14:41 AM »
How's the Creek and the lakes holding up? I won't be out until the third week of Sept., but I'm getting antsy....
Any thoughts on doing an extended backpack out of the the Valley? I was already planning a short trip up the Wall to the Treasures and over to the Gems and out, but may consider further ventures, as a I may cancel a trip up the Kern due to low water.  Hope everyone is finding ways to wet a line this dry year.  Crowley must be low and getting hit hard with less fishing to be had  elsewhere.

Charlie

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
Re: Creek levels
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:08:59 AM »
One of my buddies was just up there about a week ago, and he stated that the water level was a lot lower than what he has seen in the past at this time.  I will be up there starting the 4th, so I'll post what the levels are then.
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 10:14:16 AM »
I imagine by the end of September the creek will be on the low side, but I never seen it dry up completely, especially up higher in the valley.  I do remember once late in the season DFG could not stock the creeks near the campgrounds because there was not enough water in the creek for the fish to survive.

But your going up what I beleave is the best time of the season for fishing and fall colors!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »
I was there Tues-Wed this week.  The lake is up.  The creeks are holding their own for now.  They stocked the lake and creek in East Fork Tuesday. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Oh the pie was still good; sold out by 2 on Tuesday, but got it Wednesday. :pie2:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »
Thanks guys!  Can't wait to see the aspen glow!   Coming out later has some advantages. I may go into the Hiltons, too.  Worth the effort for fishing? Tex, glad you got fish and PIE  :pie2:    I heard a report on another forum of a fellow who did very well with a beetle and a flashback pheasant tail dropper in the lake.  One of my favorite combos.   We've had horrible weather in Vermont and the fishing this year has mostly been blown out. Even more reason to get antsy!  Thanks again, and I'll be watching closely for any and all info.   

Charlie

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »
Two weeks ago the creek seemed to be a little below normal but not too bad.  I have seen it like that in plenty of dry years though,  July usually still has decent water.  September-ewww...gonna be on the low side,  but there will still be water!  On the plus side,  skeeters have been absent!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...