Author Topic: Lassen National Park  (Read 3682 times)

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Lassen National Park
« on: July 26, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »
Here's a few pics from our trip to Lassen earlier this month.  We're heading back in August.  Saw a mother bear and her cub about 10 yards off the trail to Kings Creek Falls.  Weather was cool and fishing was pointless, other than we got to be on the lake...which is always a treat.

"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Lassen National Park
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:23:32 AM »
Hey look!!!  I posted more than 3 pics!!!!!  Someone else try!!

It might be blocking more than 3 pics from a certain site like Photobucket or flickr...these pics are from Facebook.

If you've gotten errors posting pics, please PM me and tell me the site that's hosting your pics.  That'll help solve the problem.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:37:20 AM by Creek Dude »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
Itís true that trout have not been stocked in the park since the 1980s, but Fishing was still good at Manzanita Lake, which has both large Rainbow and Brown trout, but is catch and release only and single-hook, barbless, artificial lures only.  Butte Lake and Horseshoe Lake both had healthy populations of trout when I visited there last.

Great pictures, especially the first one.  That one is suitable for framing!  Reminds me of looking at paintings in an art gallery and wishing I was there!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »
I love the picture of the bubble bath. I have one somewhere of my mother with my brother and I along with a few other kids. We are all sitting and waiting our turn to be stripped down and washed in a big wash tug.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »
Great shots!  Thanks for sharing.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
great trip!   i love mt lassen,,, need to get back there soon,,,
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
Oh I left out the most interesting detail...well at least the one that pertains most to this board and site.

I was coming back from a ranger-led program w/ my kids and we were at the store there at Manzanita Lake.  I saw a dude there and glanced at his shirt..."Rock Creek Lakes Resort - Pie in the Sky."  Holy Crap.  So we started talking and he said he checks out the board and site on occasion.  So we kept talking, and after a couple of minutes it occurred to me that I knew the guy from working at the resort in the past,

Then he said something like, "Yeah, you're the guy that always talked about olive matukas and would be out fishing with 'em at 9:00 every night."  Which was true.  I remembered talking to him at the back counter where folks order their food nowadays.  Crazy, small world!

He told me that the lake level was increased by adding rock to the outlet to allow for logs to be moved more easily when there was a sawmill at the lake...or something like that.  I had never heard that before.  Scout?

Anyhow, Creekers are EVERYWHERE!!!   :camping:   :chestbump:

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:18:01 AM »
Oh, about the fishing.  I sucked for ME, only because I don't have the time to get out there w/ the right equipment.  Fish were everywhere, especially in the evening and guys were hooking up w/ flies.

That's a really hard lake for KIDS to catch fish in.  The fish are wild, and it's artificial single barbless...not a kid-friendly fishery.  Locally I should be going to Freshwater Lagoon, Trinity Lake, or Ruth Lake to get kids to catch fish.

This was my view the one night I got out tossing a Thomas Buoyant around.  I've caught 'em w/ Buoyants there in the past, just not that night...

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:22:45 AM by Creek Dude »

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:11:29 AM »
Tim it is a small world. I bet you have passed Creekers and never know?
I haven't been to Lassen in 45yrs.  My dad flew us into Lake Almanor.(Chester)  His friend had a house on the peninsula.  My brother and I went canoeing and were trying to smack these giant carp with our paddles to no avail.  Did the tourist thing of Bumpass Hell and the like. Very nice country and at that time not too crowded.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
Rock Creek is MUCH more crowded than Lassen...Lassen's a hidden jewel.