Author Topic: Rock Creek  (Read 2941 times)

larry

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Rock Creek
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:36:52 PM »
I'm new to Rock Creek area having "discovered"this beautiful eastside gem. When I first hiked the Little Lakes Valley trail I couldn't decide

whether to hike or fish. I soon got my priorities in order and started fishing Mack thu Box Lake with great little brook trout hitting. I'm heading

up to this area the week of Sept. 22nd and would appreciate any suggestions on Golden Trout streams or lakes on the east side that are

reachable in a day hike, 6 miles or so RT. ( yeah I walk slow, rehabbing from a meniscus knee tear) Wshawkins was kind enough to suggest

some hikes in the Tioga Pass area for rainbows and any GT info. would be put to good use. PM me if you wish, I practice C&R, barbless.

Thank you

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »
Welcome to the board, Larry.  Late September ought to give you a lot more peace and quiet since school will be back in session and a lot of the summer vacationers will be back in the rat race.  Wshawkins has a vast wealth of knowledge as well as many others here.  If you get up near the June Lake Loop, a trip to Walker Lake might be worth a short hike for a lot of beautiful aspens at the back of the lake and usually some excellent fishing, though no goldens are there.  Plenty of bows, brookies and browns are prowling and the lake can be very serene during the week days.  I don't venture too far for fishing as I usually prefer to be able to nap the afternoons away, so that is my go to spot.  We'll be hitting it in early October and hoping to get the color change in the aspen stand.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:11:07 PM »
Welcome aboard Larry, I also like Mack lake as it's a short hike from Mosquito Flats and has that back country serenity, plus like Sawdust I like to hang out at the campsite and hamock cruise in the mid afternoon. My son and I are heading up early friday for 5 days in paradise. Does anyone know how the water levels are in the creeks? know that there has been a lot of rain lately.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 05:58:15 AM »
Welcome!  I can relate to  getting priorities straight.  Hard to walk up the valley and not want to keep going to see what  incredible vista is next.  I'm going the week before. I'll also be after goldies, but the hike is maybe more than you want to do.  The easiest I know of is out of Horseshoe Meadows, but that is going to be very  iffy this year ,  depending on flows going up a bit with rain. It's also quite a drive form RC, though a very doable day trip.  The Trailhead into Cottonwood Creek is @ 18 miles above Lone Pine.  The drive is absolutely spectacular up to 10K, though.  I'm hoping to catch some gold in the aspens, too.  Have a great trip!!!!!

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:33:10 PM »
Cottonwood Lakes are a pretty good grunt for a day hike but certainly doable and worth it for goldens. It takes me about 6 hours for a round trip hike time to Lakes 4 & 5.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

larry

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »
Thank you all for the imput. Saudust, is this the Walker Lake thu Sawmill or Bloody Canyon? (bet there is a great tale how the name Bloody Canyon came

about) And Cottonwood Lakes are something to consider this year, could always do a overnighter. FYI, great article on Leavitt Meadow in the August

2013 issue of the California Fly Fisher. In that area I like to park @ Pickel Meadows and fish downstream on the West Walker, toward Hy. 395 for some

good wide open casting.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »
Bloody Canyon, Larry.  Take a look at a Grant Lake topography map and go a bit northwest where you'll find Walker Lake and Bloody Canyon.  There is a trail head where you can park and hike down, but take a pair of walking sticks if you have them.  It's pretty steep, though relatively short.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.