Author Topic: Trip Report - 8-5 - 8-10  (Read 3609 times)

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
Trip Report - 8-5 - 8-10
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
This trip was no exception as it comes to making it up to RCL.  Had such a great time taking my daughter and exposing her to what I love.  This was her first true father daughter trip that I have done with her.  She is at the right age (almost 8) to really instill the love for the Sierra's.  Even though her Uncle Scott came along (which made it even more special for her) we got to do some good bonding.  We left SD at 3AM got up there on Monday morning around 9AM after we stopped in Bishop for cold foods.  Couldn't believe all the CHP's that we saw on 395 at that time in the morning.  Anyways, did our traditional morning horn blowing as we passed Mikki's place at around 6:30AM..  The smoke from the fires could be seen from Lone Pine.  It wasn't to bad, but started smelling it in Bishop.  We got into EF and ended up in spot 89 which seems to be the spot we get the past few times we have been up there.  We were hoping to get into one of the first few spots but come to find out this year those became reserved spots (don't get me started about that)  Gee take 4 reserved OK spots from the previous years that weren't being used that much and swap them for those... arggggg.  Anyways enough with that rant. 

After camp was setup we were off to see what the creek looked like to make our game plan for the week.  Creek was very low at the beach.  About 2ft lower than normal.  Our honey hole that we get to with waders was now accessible by everyone, plus the hole was not very deep anymore.  There was only a few brookies that we saw.  So we look around at the other holes and found a few 10" ers.  Decided to drop a line in for my daughter Trinity and see what she could catch.  Well as it happens, she caught the first one.  That made her day right off the bat.  We went up the creek to Upper Pines CG and look around at the creek there.  There were some beautiful holes and views up there, smoke though was thicker and photo taking was not the best.  Didn't see much there either as far as fish. Then we decided to go to the lake and see how the fishing was up there.  Fished the inlet for a few hours with only a couple of hits.  We were pretty tired at this point, so decided to head back down the hill and eat dinner and relax.

Tuesday:  Our whole game plan this year was to locate some new spots and find the bigger ones.  We headed down the hill around 9AM to see about PVR. We had seen videos on youtube and heard that the fish there were on the larger size.  Was also told to get there before 10am as thats when the plants starts up.  Well when we got there at 9, it had already started.  We went down a ways to see if it was worth trying.  Saw some really nice spots there. I caught one and had about five hits.  Scott also caught one or two but nothing of size for either of us.  So we left as it was getting a little toasty.  Headed back to the lake and tried the Outlet this time and moved over to the rocks on the West shore.  Caught a few, but again nothing of significant size (10-13")  They stocked this day also.

Wednesday:  Rented a boat in the AM which I haven't done there for years...  Got to talk to Jim at the store for suggestions. Headed to the inlet and tried to hit the deep holes off the shelf, but the wind that morning was pushing us all over and the anchor was not heavy or long enough to keep us in one location very long.  (boat 6)  We tried all over the lake, even trolled for a little while, but other than followers to a few lures, we got nothing.  Tried our whole arsenal  of bait, lures and flies.  Trinity however still managed to have a great time.  Our main highlight of the trip was watching the Bald Eagle fish.  Been going up to the lake for 30+ years and this was the first time I had seen it.   After getting off the boat we went to have some Pie in the Sky (Mud) and lunch and also to get showers. Saw a coyote along the road on the way back down the road.

Thursday:  Went to LLV for our hike to Long Lake, well at least that was the original plan.  We were just going to play it by ear as far as Trinity and her energy.  As we approached Long Lake, she seemed pretty good.  So we suggested to keep going up to Chicken ( Well at least that is what we told her to keep the motivation going (hehehe).  So we passed by Chicken and kept going to onto Gem.  That was our hope at least.  Upon arriving to Gem,  Trinity happened to see the sign stating Gem Lake.  She had this weird look on her face.  So I caved in and said to her "welcome to Gem Lake Trinity!  She was completely confused and said where is Chicken Foot?   Well long story short.  She made it all the way with a 10lb bag on her back and no what so ever complaining.   Was very proud of her.  Made sure I let her know that also.  Anyways, the weather was beautiful, the smoke was gone, and the fish was not to exciting.  But that was not the point of the hike for me at least.  I wanted some new landscape photos.  So that's what I did.  She made it back all the way also with no problems.  What a trooper.  We went down to Tom's for Prime Rib and then back to camp.

Friday:  Decided to head out to June Loop and check out Rush Creek.  Our eyes were wide open as we discovered some new holes.  Also this was the most productive day of fishing.  Most were around 12-15" and watch one guy catch and loose the lunker that was also in the hole.  Poor guy, the fish was at least a four to five pounder, but was in a really bad area to not have a net..... His buddy tried to hand catch it as it was on the hook, and ended up hooking himself which release the fish back...  Ahh the look on his face.....  Anyways, we look up and down Rush from north lake all the way back to June.  Saw some really good prospective hole all through out.  Fished the whole day for the most part then went to Lake Mary and George to finish off the day.  Headed into Mammoth for a bite to eat and ended with a meet up with Snow Nymph (Corey) who used to visit this board 5-10yrs back.  It was great catching up with her and hearing about how the 500 lb rolled over her a couple of weeks back on a hike.  We both have been friends on FB and through here for a long time, but had never met in person.

Saturday:  Packed up and left.  Not much else to say other than it was a great trip and well worth the father daughter bonding.  I hope to continue this tradition in the years to come... I also have my youngest (16 month) Sierra to start with in a few years also.

You can see some of the photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201633141171546.1073741831.1269332499&type=1&l=86587fc46e
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Report - 8-5 - 8-10
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:30:32 AM »
Sounds like the best of the best, Todd.  Bonding, beautiful scenery, pie and a week to remember.  Thanks for the TR and here's hoping for an annual report for years to come.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »
Great report Todd!!!!!  :clap:  Gem is plenty far for little legs! Good for her!  I keep using exclamation points, but, you made it seem like I was there, so I got excited.  I expected Rush to be abaout dry, so I'm very glad it wasn't. It was fairly low when I fished it last August.  I read Snow Nymphs exploits on High Sierra Topix, as I love to backpack and that's a great site for that type of info. Glad she wasn't hurt worse. One tough cookie, and a good thing she had her beacon.  Thanks for the wonderful report. One more month to go for me. I'm counting it by the second.  Oh yeah, you even had pie......

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »
Glad you finally made it back to the Creek Todd. Looks like you had a great trip.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 06:34:42 AM »
Congrats on a great trip Todd!

Pretty amazing seeing a Baldy at the lake, isn't it? As you know, I've been astounded by the same  thing. Quite remarkable.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:35 AM »
yes, seeing the baldy was great..... Rush creek seemed to be at a good level. 
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:17 AM »
I share your feelings on the reservations. I have been visiting RCL for over 30 years now and remember the sites as a first come basis. Those were the good days of camping. I guess everything changes eventually. Glad you had a great trip. We will be there 8/16 - 8/19.
That small voice calling my name is the mountains,
and I must obey.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
what a great trip!,   those memories are going to keeping you smiling for the rest of your life!

fantabulous photos as well!       

and to fshrsmn... have a great trip!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....