Author Topic: 8/11 thru 8/16  (Read 6593 times)

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
8/11 thru 8/16
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »
Weather was Amazing :clap: , Creek is really really low but Erik did manage to catch Fish :fishing3:. He hit is secret spot and managed to catch about 20 in a couple of hours. There weren't a tone of people there so it was really quiet. We hiked up to the lake twice and never saw a single person on the trail ,we did hear a really strange noise near the pond I think it might of been a bear ?? Campground host are not so great this year ,really unfriendly I have never encountered that before . We saw Scout with his family he was a busy guy ... lots of family. The pie was great :pie: ,the trip was wonderful we will be back up over labor day 4 Jeffery ,it will be our first time camping there.  :camping:

:doglick:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:03:45 AM by Corey Baer »
The Creek is Waiting...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: 8/11 thru 8/16
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:10:58 AM »
YEA! another successful trip under your belt:)

the hosts are a bit unfriendly this year.. whats up with that?
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »
Why the heck do we really need campground host?  Things were just fine years ago when the USFS handled the campgrounds... I have never had any reason to need a campground host..

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »
It also appears that these hosts don't seem to care.  We have had several problems in Palisades this year with roudy people, unfriendly people and dogs running onto our property or confronting us on the roads...with no owners in sight.  There is also currently a zipline and several swings that have been set up in the Tree's at Palisade and one down by the river.  These items damage the tree's and then the barkbeetle move in and destroy them.  Yet the campground hosts do nothing.  It appears there are no rules anymore so why keep the hosts?
The creek is waiting...

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »
I liked it when I was a kid when we would drive up the canyon, find a site and set up, then drive down the canyon and fill out the form.  I wish they would open that entrance station again...I'd apply for the job.

I agree, there's really no need for hosts if all their job is is to collect fees.  Let the forest circus do that again.  Of course, they don't want to do that, hence the concessionaires.
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »
Well they do ensure some order to the camps! I don't think the forest service is gonna want to hear or have the time to enforce quiet time. I can imagine the rampant "SQUATERS" that existed before the camp hosts.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 06:39:15 AM »
I really don't think the host enforce quiet time,,,, I can't count the times I have heard loud groups yelling and blasting music at 0 dark thirty. Long before  the private companies started running the campgrounds the Forest Service still had rules as to how long one could camp... I recall Forest Service patrols driving thru French Camp 3-4 times a day..  I think the Forest Service could hire 2-3 local residents that could collect the fees, clean the restrooms. etc. which would be a lot cheaper. 

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:10:49 AM »
So sad to hear about Palisades , zip lines REALLY !  I am actually still recovering from my encounter with a dog last week that attacked our dogs .I tried to stop him before he could actually get to our dogs but he was having nothing to do with that and I ended up on the ground ,skinned knees and lots of bruises later ... It happens every time at least once a trip some off leash dog goes after mine ,the funny thing is I have pit bulls and they have never attacked anyone Else's dog GO FIGURE! :doglick:

I really don't have a problem with the hosts I actually have met some wonderful people that were hosts . The new hosts at Convict this year were GREAT ! But Eastfork not so much, the only time they even spoke to us was to drive there cart into our site our first night to tell us they needed the 5.00 per day extra car money. 
 :camping: 
The Creek is Waiting...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »
oh corey.. i would be livid about loose dogs attacking my own dogs!   hope the pups are ok  (and you too:)

i know.. we can string the dog owners up on the zip lines and let them go 'splat' into the tree at then end of the line!

and i think you summed it up great...  'zip lines, really?'       unbelieveable.

swmusk

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
My last trip to East Fork I had the host take 2 1/2 bundles of firewood from my camp because he was "cleaning up" even though I had 2 days reservation left.  I also had an issue last year in East Fork where they cleaned my bear box out taking all my gear at 10 am even though checkout isnt until 1.  Both times I had to wander around the campground to find my stuff.  I guess if you keep a clean camp they think you are leaving.  I complained to the facebook page both times and only got an excuse of "they have been talked to", nothing extra like sorry let us pay for your next trip.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 07:10:37 AM »
@ Little Hardrock Dogs are good  :doglick:

I get the whole dog off leash thing if you have a non aggressive dog that listens I am fine with it and have encountered many of those types of dogs while hiking  but if I hear 1 more person tell me it's OK they're friendly as their dog is running towards mine I MAY LOOSE MY MIND  >:(
The Creek is Waiting...

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
Wait. YOu mean some one actually set up a zip line at palisades?? WTH

Fredb

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
Just added bolt cutters to my camping list

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 10:44:59 PM »
Corey, sorry I missed you and Erik, as well as scout and his family. I arrived the afternoon of the 16th and just got back tonight (22nd). I believe Scout and his family were in site #110, where my buddy and I were all week. (Scout  was that you that left us the tablecloth?? If so, thanks!) Sorry to hear about the dogs. Speaking of camp hosts - we fished at Iris Meadows a couple of days and on the second day the camp host was missing. We were told by one of the few campers left that because the new bathroom was broken and a serious water leak had not been fixed for quite awhile the camp host basically said "to hell with this" and abandoned his job!  :giveup:  One of the concessionaire trucks came in while we were there (I guess he was a supervisor) and picked up the money from the "firewood jar" and checked the area out, stopped to talk to us briefly, and said someone would be working there the next day, then left. And yes - the EF crew ain't too friendly. Jackmac - when are you coming back??
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 05:03:15 AM »
Could this be  a from the  top down scenario?   Maybe the concessionaires  have a bunch of rules, or "hands off" policy to encourage occupancy. Sad. I had many friends that gladly cleaned campsites and built them, too , for the USFS in the 70's and  80's.   If there were problems, someone with some authority was sent out.  Unless your dog is absolutely harmless and very well trained, they should be on a leash. Of course, a lot of the owners belong in cages.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
Our two weeks around CLUB I found the hosts were nice, just not very talkative. I think at EF the main focus of them is to sort out the reservations. And yes, we got spoiled when Jack Mac was running the show!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
When I arrived at sites 110 and 111 ( I was first since I was closest), the camp host right across the street (nice guy, I never got his name...you probably know him, Packer) watched me and Maggie walking around, trying to find a good spot for my little tent. After 20 minutes or so, he walked over and said "It doesn't really look like your dog needs a leash, at least in camp, she doesn't leave your side"...I thanked him, and asked him if the spot I'd picked for the tent was OK..."sure" he said. I set up the tent, then sat down in my chair to enjoy the quiet before everybody else showed up. He came back in a half hour or so, very apologetic, and said "the boss lady came by, your tent is too close to the creek, and your dog needs to be on a leash"...I knew it wasn't his doiing, he even offered to help me move the tent....the "boss lady" was nothing but a pain in the a** for the whole trip...I won't tell you what we started calling her....
I agree with Retired and CreekDude...the old days were better. This may have changed, but twenty years ago, when I was involved in a battle with the USFS over the cabins on the creek balow Tom's Place, I learned some things. The Feds wanted to tear out those cabins so they could extend Tuff Camp upstream....more $. The cabin owners contacted me to provide historic info on the cabins...this took a complete summer on all of our parts, but it was worth it....one of the most surprising things we learned...the Feds only got 6% of the take on the campgrounds, the concessionaire got the rest, and the Feds were (are) still resposible for anything that goes wrong, like plumbing or electrical...no wonder the USFS is broke....like I said, this may have changed by now, I don't keep up with it....
The entry station was, and still is, a great thing....I have first dibs on it if they ever open it again, Creekdude....and, for some reason, the old hosts, who worked for free, were the best...who remembers Bud Pearman and his wife Lois, hosts at the Lake in the mid 80's? Or Chuck Bever at French, at the same time?...they were the best....
Claremont, the tablecloth was there when I got there, we just left it...glad you liked it.
To end this, we all won the fight for the cabins, they went from a year-to-year, one year lease, to twenty year leases (when my Grandfather got his cabin in the mid 30's, it was a 99 year leas...same with Tom's Place).....a little monkey wrenching, and some good arguments pretty much shut the campground idea down...you really can beat teh "big guys".

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
i wonder if the 'boss lady' is the one who rode around in the golf cart with the scowl on her face during club? 

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
Back in the mid 90s there were camp host at East Fork (the upper loop) that was extremely nice. It's been so many years now I forget their names. My wife and I, and a few others we camped with there, got to know them pretty well. We were there 4-5 times a year during the summer. Each time we came up they would be at our site at night to enjoy a camp fire together. Once, my wife's grandfather died while we were there and the host had to come tell us. The truck would not start and he helped me repair the truck (about 5 hours) so we could get on our way. Since we had already paid for two weeks and was there for only two days he told me to let him know when we planned to come back and he would personally save a great spot for me. This started the ritual of us calling him and getting the site right next to the host every time. All of a sudden we came up one year and they were no longer there. We heard his wife had gotten sick. This was times that we always remember due to how interactive, respectful, and genuinely nice the camp hosts were.

By the way...we often shared the bounty of the catch with them while we were there. The fish was always cleaned and ready to store or already prepared for dinner for them. We really miss this type of atmosphere...and yes, I remember the toll station at the bottom of the hill too. I wish it would go back this way as well (plus...first-come first-served on the sites).
That small voice calling my name is the mountains,
and I must obey.