Author Topic: Beautiful "Life Size" Golden Trout Porcelain Sculpture, Open for Bids...  (Read 8384 times)

woodfish

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
I have a beautiful Golden Trout Porcelain Sculpture for sale.  Purchased in Japan in the 80's for over $1000, it is the most lifelike and realistic representation of the Golden Trout I have ever seen!  It consists of 3 separate pieces...both of the trout....which can be placed facing in any direction, and of course the stream rock base.  Most delicately painted...with "opalescence and real life colors.  It has been my prized possesion and receives the most comments of anything in my house!  The rock base is 12" and the Golden trout are actual size 7"  Perfect for your executive desk...or show case at home!  Although it pains me to sell it....I wanted it to go to a "appreciative" angler.  Alright ROCK CREEK......it's open for Bids.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:22:36 AM by woodfish »

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
my, my, my.. what a cranky bunch we can be......  (and yes, housekeeping was called in to do some cleanup:)

while i agree,, this board is not ebay, nor a place to post ads,  i do feel there may be some extenuating circumstances here, and this is an interesting piece... so given that,...  lets try again...

while john may have said hello first, and perhaps done a bit more of a introduction.. we surely didnt repsond in kindness either. 

now wouldnt it be grand if someone on our board feel in love with this and was able to give it a good home?    would i want to take that away from one of our members? no, i would not...    would i like john to know this went to a good home? yes i would...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:22:42 AM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

woodfish

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
One last comment, although i paid over $1000 for it 30 years ago.....I'm willing to consider a "reasonable" offer...for less than that amount.  Thanks!

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Beautiful piece woodfish.

I think the issue might be that on occasion, this board gets spamed by vendors or spambots, trying to sell something. Those post usual get dumped.

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

woodfish

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Thank you "playingmenace".  Not all fine art and sculptures can be appreciated by every person that sees them.  I see you have a keen eye!   Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:56:45 PM by Little Hardrock »

woodfish

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Beautiful "Life Size" Golden Trout Porcelain Sculpture, Open for Bids...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »
Well....it's been a few months since I offered this Sculpture to Rock Creekers....and not one bid, PM or email.  Am I surprised....you could say that.  Am I disappointed that not one individual of the "whole" community offered anything....you could say that.   Did the mention of my cost to buy this for myself when I was in Japan scare some people off....who knows.  Just wondering?  This is a fine way to view the beloved State trout in a somewhat natural environment...in your living room.  Maybe I was the only one who saw it this way.  Maybe...the pictures don't do it justice.  Just curious....any thoughts? :fishing3:

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »
Woodfish, I wish you luck in trying to find a buyer for your piece. Myself I could afford your piece of art at your asking price but our living room is Cape Cod, our family room is full of Sports Memorbliia, my office is historic south orange county surf pictures, and my man cave is filled with pictures of the Sierras and Muscle Cars. Your piece is a special piece, just like a special car. I suguest that your try selling it on ebay, not on a forum like this.

Good Luck
Trev Dog

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »

Well....it's been a few months since I offered this Sculpture to Rock Creekers....and not one bid, PM or email.  Am I surprised....you could say that.  Am I disappointed that not one individual of the "whole" community offered anything....you could say that.   Did the mention of my cost to buy this for myself when I was in Japan scare some people off....who knows.  Just wondering?  This is a fine way to view the beloved State trout in a somewhat natural environment...in your living room.  Maybe I was the only one who saw it this way.  Maybe...the pictures don't do it justice.  Just curious....any thoughts? :fishing3:

Yes, maybe the pictures could be off Im thinking.  The porcelain sculpture is beautiful and the fish are ergonomically perfect.  But I see some problems with the photos.  First let me describe the California Golden Trout:

The California golden trout is a brilliant colored trout with orange or red colored cheeks, olive-green back and golden color in the lower sides. The belly has a bright orange color.  Parr marks are along the lateral line and are dark purple. There is a red or pink stripe along the lateral and the same coloration is found on the gill plates. The spots are round, large to moderate in size and are isolated above the lateral line and on the dorsal and caudal fins and are concentrated near the tail.

Does that describe your porcelain sculpture of the Golden Trout?  Let me explain what I see as wrong or missing on the sculpture:
   Your picture shows a green trout.  The olive-green back color is correct but the golden trout should have orange or red colored cheeks and golden color on the lower sides.
   The belly should have a bright orange color.
   Parr marks should be dark purple.
   There is no lateral line!  Lateral line should be in red or pink in color.
   The gill plates should also be red or pink.
   The spots are in the wrong place!  They should be above the lateral line and concentrated near the tail.
   The dorsal, anal and pelvic fins should have a dark border outlined with white or orange on the dorsal fin.

There are some variations to the above, but youll find it to be true for most goldens.  Some examples are maybe the parr marks are lighter in color and the lateral line can be yellow like in adolescent trout.  Ive seen some goldens with orange on the dorsal fins.  This is normal variation and still a true California Golden Trout. 

What you could have is a hybrid sculpture (Golden/Rainbow).  I catch many of these trout in the backcountry.  Combinations are endless and interesting to see.  Ill add some recent golden and hybrid trout I recently caught and see what you think.

Golden Trout (Hoover Wilderness)  Adolescent golden trout just starting to earn his red lateral line and parr marks are not quite dark purple.

Golden Trout (John Muir Wilderness)  12" adult golden looking good.  Notice the red lateral line, dark parr marks, dorsal, anal and pelvic fins have a dark border outlined with white and nice bright orange belly.

Golden Trout (Golden Trout Wilderness)  Beautiful colors of a adult golden trout

Hybrid Trout (Inyo National Park)  Mostly rainbow but check out the light parr marks, red lateral line, spots below the lateral line, etc.

Hybrid Trout (Hoover Wilderness)  Obliviously a rainbow but some golden in it.  Has the red lateral, dim par marks with dark border outlined with white or orange on the dorsal fin.  Spots are all over the place.

Your Golden Trout Sculpture

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
WSH - "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Your post is exceptionally well defined, detailed and communicated with an eloquence that can be appreciated by all.

Your photos in this educational and informative reply are, as always, phenomenal and support the topic at hand.

Well done, and beneficial for everyone.   :clap:

Best, PAC

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 12:16:29 PM »
The sculptures are of a species  called cherry trout in English and are a species native to Japan and Korea.  Maybe that's why they were sold in Japan?

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 07:26:52 AM »
wshawkins - your fist pic made me cold just looking at your purple fingers! Nice pics.
"Don't get no better than this!"

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »
It was cold that day!  Mid 20" when I started the hike and in the 30's when I brought this little fellow in.  Got my fingers wet catching and releasing him and after I released him, took me at least 10 minutes to warm up enough to be able to cast out again.   :cold:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."