Author Topic: Mono Pass and beyond  (Read 3840 times)

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Mono Pass and beyond
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
There's a fire called the Fish Creek Fire, burning  a ways up the Kern Canyon and is of low priority right now.  Problem for me, other than hoping anything in the GTW isn't too destroyed, we were supposed to be taking a backpack up to Funston Meadows in 3 weeks. Right now the canyon and  trail is filled with smoke. As a warm-up and because we love it, the first place on our trip was going to be LLV and up to the Treasures.  I'm heavily leaning on bagging the Kern and hanging around the Creek. Anything good  to fish over Mono Pass?  Worth a multi-day trip?   Any other local suggestions gladly heard.  Thanks. I'm praying RC is untouched by this season's explosion of fires.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Mono Pass and beyond
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:58:11 AM »
Wife and I were in Mammoth Lakes attending a blues festival and having dinner in the Village when a Stage One Smog Alert was called due to the smoke from the Aspen Fire.  Smoke was so thick you could barely see across the street.  It sucked big-time.  Felt like I was in L.A..  Even Little lakes Valley was impacted with smoke.

Over Mono Pass is Pioneer Basin.  Most of the Pioneer basin Lakes hold small plentiful Brookies, but three or four of the Pioneer lakes still hold Goldens.  The largest Goldens reside in Golden Lake, with 18” being the best I have ever done in years past, but expect 12” and up if you can catch any.  Can be a tough lake to fish.  I caught Goldens in #3, #5 and #6 Pioneer lakes.  Had some buddies get skunked on #6 last year so that lake could be fishless now.

3rd Recess has decent sized Rainbows and not fished much due to the long hike in.  4th Recess has lots of brookies.  The best fishing was in Mono Creek, with three different species of trout to catch, plus some interesting looking hybrids.

Caught 12” Goldens out of Snow Lakes some years back, but DFG shows it as fishless now too.  Hope there wrong on that, but who knows.   

I think Pioneer Basin is worth a look for a few days or so.  Another option is the Hilton lakes.  Very good fishing in all the lakes.  Caught some trout (browns) over 20” in the first two. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have fun.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierraslam

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:28:26 AM »
Were you at Bluesapalooza! Did my 5th straight year this year. Love it! Kenny Wayne Shepherd was awesome on Sunday! I've seen Robert Cray, Dave Mason, Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter, Leon Russell, and many others under the pines in Mammoth. The smoke was really bad on Friday but was tolerable the rest of the time. You're at the mercy of the changing wind directions almost anywhere in the Sierras right now. Mono Pass in well worth the trip.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:44:51 AM »
Thanks, WC.  The Kern trails are now closed.  Besides the Valley, the Hiltons and over Mono were an option I offered to a friend from San Diego that may go,  a few weeks ago . Water  temps and low water on the Kern made me start looking for alternatives early.  Looks like a new plan is going into place. I  was also  planning  to go up Mt. Dana. Depending on the wind it might be a dismal view and an added burden on breathing.  Between Tom's Place and Big Pine, there's a lot of choices left.  Though my wife and I will be prepared, I'm  hoping now that we don't get snowed on.
Wouldn't  be the first time we saw white in Sept.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:05:27 AM by charlie »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:36:57 AM »
Now you have to be concerned with the large “Rim Fire” burning out of control in Yosemite.  As Sierraslam said “you're at the mercy of the changing wind directions almost anywhere in the Sierras right now”.  Just be flexible as there are lots of great places to backpack.  Who knows maybe all the fires may be out by your trip!

As for snow in September, it happens but usually dos not stick.  Have a great trip!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »
LOL Ws,  down here in LA we haven't had a first stage smog alert in years,  it really isn't that bad.  You are right about that rim fire,  though.  Watch to see where it goes,  it is a monster and could change directions in an instant...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
I guess I regressed back to my childhood days in the 60’s – 70’s when I lived in LA County and remember walking home from school and my eyes would sting from the smog.  Definitely better today!  Actually when I was in Mammoth Lakes during them smokey days and the blues festival got going and I had a few brews, I forgot all about the smoke. ;D

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »
yep,  back in the 70's I used to come off the playground at school with my chest hurting,  really nasty air back then.  And those beverages do make things much better :clap:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
Beverages...did someone mention beverages???!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 04:36:43 PM »
yep,  back in the 70's I used to come off the playground at school with my chest hurting,  really nasty air back then.  And those beverages do make things much better :clap:
Mid 50's were the worst. The mid-to-late 40's were the smoggiest for L.A., but the fifties saw such a population explosion, that more folks (especially young kids) were affected.
We had hundreds of days where our eyes and chests burned.
Interestingly, not the percentage of kids with asthma that we see today. Maybe all the chemicals that they are exposed to, now.
Just my take on it.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

klsmith1953

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »
Hi OldSarge,

I seem to remember you posting something about a cross country hiking route you knew of to Ruby Lake...I read it once but can't find it again...am I remembering correctly?
I'll be staying at Chickenfoot Lake and want to get up to Mono Pass and beyond and do some fishing without having to go all the way back to the trail junction out of Rock Creek.
I've gotten a suggestion to look for a canyon between Mills and Ruby and that looks right on my topo, but if anyone has any other suggestions or helpful info, I'd love to hear them...

Thanks,
K