Author Topic: Rock Creek Fishing Spots?  (Read 3260 times)

mstemme

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Fishing Spots?
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »
Heading to Rock Creek this weekend and staying at the Lodge.  I've fished the lake before but would value tips on spots and bait.

I never fished the lower part by the lodge--I believe that there is a pond of sorts and good creek fishing down there?
Any recommended spots that we should target?
Any hot tips?

ALSO:
We will spend one day hiking up to Chicken Foot Lake.  I will take a fly/bubble.
Any tips suggestions?

Thanks!
Appreciate any direction.

Matt

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Fishing Spots?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:44:14 AM »
Welcome to the Rock Creek’s Message Board Matt!  You’re in luck as Rock Creek Lake is getting a load of large Alpers trout plus their regular allotment of stocked trout for Labor Day Holiday weekend.   Should be some good fishing this weekend!

There is a nice pond near the Rock Creek Lodge that fishes well.  It’s a favorite spot for fly fishermen.  The Creek itself is always good for me, just get away from the crowds if possible.  As for Rock Creek Lake, it fishes pretty well everywhere for me, but a little better at the inlet/outlet and near the boat dock.

As for tips on bait, I only fly fish.  Best to get with Jim King at the Resort on what power bait, etc. that’s working now.  If you fish flies, you’re in luck!  I was there about 2 weeks ago and evening fishing on dries was on fire.  Adams, black gnat and the Rock Creek Special were killing it.  I also caught a large Alper on the Rock Creek Special.  For the Creek try an elk hair caddis, never fails.

For Chickenfoot Lake, fly/bubble combo is a good choice.  Adams, black ant, mosquito or a gray hackle yellow in size 16 will do the trick for Brookies and Rainbows that reside there. Let us know how well it went for you.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

roygin1

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:45:49 AM »
  I will be up there on the 8th of  Sept. for 4 night so leave some of the BIGN's.
Boyz become Men just with bigger Toyz

mstemme

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
Thanks Hawk!
I appreciate the direction.
Can't wait!
-Matt